Thanks...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Why are so many people missing the obvious? Buy the game, get a crack. Cracking doesn't necessarily mean piracy. Contribute to the hard work of the artist, cut out their over obsessive copyright management.

|dub| said:
2 - Yes, yes.

So what if you get it through steam, authenticate it, and then copy to a disk? Will the copy on the disc remain usable if you take it to another computer?

the_mjw

The First MJW
Sep 7, 2004
Colorado
.altan said:
What about Quake 3? It was released on the 24th of November, in 1999. UT was released on the 22nd. So there's not really any difference at all, and one could apply all of those arguments to Quake 3. UT's reason for being a great game isn't that it came out 2 days before its rival, it's that it was a damn good game. Quake 3 was pretty good too, and even though I'm pulling this out of my ass I think it's always had more players than UT.

Interesting. I wasn't aware they came out so close together.

Absolutely, though, Quake 3 is definitely a HUGE influence on the Multiplayer-only FPS sub-genre. I was a huge Quake 3'er for awhile before I discovered UT99.

I think Quake 3 enjoyed alot of elite attention during it's day - frankly, it still does. I remember video card boxes emblazoened with the "Official graphics adapter of Quake-con" all over them.

However, I think UT99 had a bigger following from the people with older hardware. When both of those games came out, you had to have some pretty good hardware for the day to really run Quake 3. But anybody with half a GPU could run UT99 at low detail levels.

Then there is the mod community. While Quake 3 enjoyed a TON of custom maps and models made by a robust community of people clever enough to figure out the radiant editor system, UT99 came with Unreal ED out of the box. UT99 was one of the first games to see users making major mods like gametypes, vehicles and mutators. That kind of thing wasn't really there in Quake 3.

As to which one was more popular, who knows really.

A

angry HL2 installer

i like the steam system..... its really good at stopping you from wasting your time by playing your games

This unlock authentication system WILL go down as one of the biggest, most ludicrous faliures in computer history

........... well done valve you just droped the ball big time and complelty tainted the reputation of what should have been a historic game...

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
I dont support all the retarded devs wasting 5 years making these engines and just sticking sp games on them, which are very rarely worth 50 dollars, let alone 80.... So im also waiting for the free version or just not going to get it, ill wait till they add mp thats worth me getting a cd key for, thats the only anti piracy that will work... Sp games are for renting at blockbuster for 7 dollars for a week, not spending 80 bux to buy a new sp game that will last a week along with 2 mp games we have had for like 5 years? If they cant add on mp thats worth buying, or at least make a sp games thats got so much crap youll barely ever finish it (morrowind, gta etc) they dont get my money.

Im personally a TF2 fan, and they better not **** it up since they been making it since before hl1....

All this anti piracy crap does is piss off the real customers, its not like stopping piracy would barely move their sales anyway, most people wouldnt buy the stuff they download anyway....

If they do that 9$ a mnth thing i heard though ill get that, im all for paying 10 bux for a sp game, just because they spend 5 years making it doesnt mean we should pay them for it, especially if they cant give us more than youd get out of a movie or paperback book (10$ ****). Half Life is only even popular right now because of the mp, but valve cant make mp games can they? Every one that hasnt been dead 4 years was made by other people (tfc was just a mod port) so i cant really blame them for reusing dod/cs, but they are gonna make us pay and extra 20 bux for em?

DOWNLOAD!

Brits_Hit

Flak Monkey
Aug 1, 2003
Toronto, Canada
dynamic5.gamespy.com
Man.. this is so ****ing ridiculous that I can't even authenticate the damn thing.. after buying the game right after a long day at work, the Steam server(s) are down.
Fags.

EDIT: Maybe they should have taken into considering the fact that a ludicrus amount of ppl would be trying to connect to the steam servers today.. or maybe they didnt realize that ppl would be trying to connect the DAY the damn game is released.
man...

Last edited:

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
UT2004 is for the multiplay and Half Life 2 is for the single play... I have no problem with that, now I wish I had money so I could buy this fricken thing....

KaiSeun

UT Guy
May 16, 2004
Everyone knows that online, the basic mechanics of Counter Stirke has not changed.

To me, Half-Life was done to please the fans, and now Valve has, more of less, done exactly what they want.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
"I recall HL1 being a crap-tastic sp-game... And since many people actually LIKED that, I can only assume that HL2 will mimick it!"

I agree!:tup: I'm getting Doom3 for Christmas anyway......yep, too busy with UT2004 and UT to buy Doom3 when it came out, hehe. ;)

I do wish more games would release a no-CD patch like UT2004 though. Also, I didn't even know of the CD Emulation Software issue; that crap has to stop for sure. :(

NozzeM

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
The game is absolutely amazing.

The graphics, the atmosphere, the sound, the weapons, the interactive environment, the gameplay, it's just almost perfect.

Now as i play CS 1.6 online as well i'm also pretty hyped about CS:S so i'm glad it has CS:S for multiplayer. Still have to try CS:S though, to busy playing hl2 :p.

Well, time for bed now, gah.

livingtarget

BulletCatcher
Mar 15, 2002
Aberdeen
I myself am not interested in HL2 at all. I recently bought DOW and i hardly have time to play it. I don't see anything yet that sparks my interest to shell out 30+ pounds for a game i probably wont be able to play (hardware wise and time wise). I'll pick it up once it drops to about 15 or lower.

Remember too there is a lot of bargain stuff of real good games about. Splinter cell, magic battlegrounds etc. For 9.99/5.99 respectively. Not too bad i must say! It can only get better bargain wise, so i have no hunger for pirated copies.

Except i'm looking for a copy of 'z' from bitmap bro's 1996, havent been able to track one down yet. The publisher went out of business a while back, any1 know where to get it legal preferably?

gcountach

Feb 3, 2001
KY, USA
gamersplus.iwarp.com
(From an avid video game from both HL/CS and Unreal worlds, whom is plagued with a 56k modem)

Over one year after preordering my copy, I was happy to see the box in my hands as the clerk gives me his thanks. I knew, going home, I would be unhappy with Steam's performance tonight. 6 (thats right, 6 ****ing hours aftering buying the game, thats 19 hours after the game as been released!) hours after installing, I was FINALLY able to play it on, what would be considered for this game, a low-end pc.

I must say, I enjoyed HL, I enjoyed its *FREE* mods such as Counter-Strike, TFC, Day of Defeat, Firearms, etc. This game however, was not worth its wait and hype. Is it a good game? Sure. Will it kill any other game? No.

I actually heard sounds, like steam, that were the exact sounds from the original game. 5 years of development, and obviously not any of that was spent to heavily in the audio department. Getting passed the crackled sound coming out of my 5.1 speakers (performance issues and/or the fact steam fragmented all my gam files play in part here, both should have been addressed by the developers anyhow), I found myself noticing the lackluster polycount in much of the levels. Obviously, this game is meant for higher-end systems that, through bump maping and other techniquies, are able to think there are more polys being drawn then there is. For us lower end saps, I can say the textures are alright at least. Overall its a great achivement, but not equal to its hype.

Pirating is bad. No argument there by anyone I'm sure... But there are more complex issues surrounding pirating: those who pirate, will they actually buy the game if copy-protections worked 100%? Does copy-protection turn off potentional buyers? Here's my theory about copy-protection: If legit users can't play the game because of copy protection, but non-legit users can through cracks/etc., the copy-protection has not only failed, but has caused a loss in revenue and thus is bad. Activation via steam will cause a lot of people to not buy HL2, I'm positive. Some will get mad at valve's unpreparedness (come on, five years of development and they haven't the foresight this would occcur?!), some will think the game is broken, and others will just not have the internet.

Dunno how copy-protection ties into the belief that jews are the cause of everythign and should be exterminated, but I do know this. If you don't like copy protection how it is, don't buy the game. If you can deal with it. Buy it. If you think its not annoying enough, pirate the game.

livingtarget

BulletCatcher
Mar 15, 2002
Aberdeen
The problem with copy right protection is usually the publishers domain/decision not really valve's. Not too sure about that, but i think that's how it goes with most game developers.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
well the arguments you guys seem to have are interesting to pirate or not pirate HL-2....

HL2 should be good SP... should be brigher than Doom 3 ( which was good game too but too dark and too many freaking Imps....hate those things...pop out from no where....)

Its sitting on my desk ( a collectors edition).....if I play it I won't work...if don't work im screwed.... a paradox that needs to be solved...

I guess you guys can go back to the arguments of pirating HL2... just thought I leave my thoughts...

Last edited:
Y

y00s

Yeah games get old. UT2k4 got old after a month. An sp game gets old after you complete it. So what?

Unreal 1 was the far best SP game ever, but UT2k4 isnt as close as good as even UT.
Enough bs.

Lets have fun and play HL2. I hope my PC can handle it.
Well at least it hasnt got ut2kx crappy static mesh lighting. :p

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Caravaggio said:
So wait, I knew they had to authenticate it over the net, which is stupid, but do you have to do that for each install or does it give you a password to hook up to another computer?

Once bought, and played on two computers at the moment...

Oh... ...and the Source-engine itself didn't impress me that much. TBH, I was a little disappointed.