UT3 Angels Fall First: Planetstorm RC5-Beta

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005

[highlight]PLANETSTORM RC5 RELEASED![/highlight]​
Finally. After much tweakage and sleepless nights, we're ready to release an enhanced version of the MSUC Phase 4 release of Planetstorm. Once again, we apologize for the delay, but certain bugs just had to be fixed.

[highlight]AFF Planetstorm RC5 Trailer[/highlight] by SkyWay

AFF Planetstorm RC5 video - Mod DB

The good news is it's here. And we've put the time spent fixing into adding new features as well. In addition to the core gameplay improvements, here are some of the things to expect for this release:

• Our old capital ship models have been replaced completely with gloriously detailed new versions. Named after some of our loyal Saturday Smackdown Express players, :) a big thanks to the bunch.
  • Two new space maps, [highlight]AFF-Kerrat [/highlight]- set in orbit around a dying sun; and [highlight]AFF-Ixion[/highlight], which features the Halifax station, the site of the Crowning Day Massacre. As well as streamlined and reworked versions of the previous maps [highlight]AFF-Meudeverre[/highlight], the Sea of Ice and home of the hidden Antarean outpost Aquila 9; and [highlight]AFF-Errah[/highlight], a surface assault on the mining and production facilities of an Antarean-occupied desert planet.
  • Improvements to vehicle handling and weapons. All vehicles now have different camera modes for easier steering and aiming. Surface vehicles via the mousewheel, and spaceships via a new 'changecamera' keybind.
  • Improvements to infantry weapons. The sidearm is now always available, the amount of ammunition you can carry has been increased, all weapons are now visible in first person, and the amount of movement sway reduced to more realistic levels.
  • Added pregame briefing screens with objectives and a few gameplay tips
  • Two brand new character models with more to come.
  • Squad order command via the 'command menu' keybind (Default 'V'). Press to bring up marker, press a second time for context-sensitive actions. Recall your squad with the 'followme' keybind.
We are also glad to welcome aboard Xyx from the [highlight]XS Harpy [/highlight]UT3 Mutator team, who in a span of a few days have already started to bring the surface vehicles closer to what they are meant to be in their final form. As usual, big props to the AFF team. :) A more detailed changelog can be viewed in the readme file included in the release.

mid2.jpg

[highlight]SCREENSHOT GALLERY[/highlight](click on the thumbnails to view in full resolution)
[highlight]Errah
[/highlight]
[highlight]Meudeverre
[/highlight]
[highlight]Kerrat
[/highlight]
[highlight]Ixion
[/highlight]

[highlight]Planetstorm Wallpaper[/highlight]
Courtesy of Stranj. Click on the provided links for a full resolution poster size wallpaper. :)

[highlight]INSTALLATION[/highlight]​
  1. If installing to the same location as a previous version of Planetstorm, delete all the contents of the directory first or run the uninstaller.
  2. Ensure UT3 is patched to version 2.1 (Steam installs will have done this automatically unless specified otherwise)
  3. Run the AFF:planetstorm Installer EXE
  4. You will be asked to locate your install of UT3.
  5. The installer also supports Steam installations of UT3, so if you have your UT3 on Steam, select this option - default locations are provided.
  6. You will then be asked where you would like to install the AFF:planetstorm Mod, default is C:/Program Files/AFFPlanetstorm/. Select a location and hit Next. DO NOT install the mod in UT3's install directory. On Vista it is recommended to NOT install Planetstorm in the suggested Program Files location unless user is Administrator and has UAC disabled.
  7. The installer will now install AFF:planetstorm and create shortcuts for the game and the editor.
  8. If you are having problems with the installation, don't hesitate to ask us in our Forums.
[highlight]ONLINE SERVERS[/highlight]​
We also invite you to join us online in our official servers donated by CozmicShredder. We have a regular playnight every Saturday at 7 PM GMT, but you're free to join in anytime. :)[highlight]

Server IP: 208.86.251.34:7777
Server donated by CozmicShredder of CozWorld's game servers[/highlight]

For more info, visit our website and our forums

Last edited:

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Are the bots more intelligent these days? The biggest problem I had early on were dumb bots in offline play (can't remember difficulty level I used though). I'll need to give a whirl sometime soon. :)

Thanks for the update! :)

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
The land map has a fairly heft overhaul so they wont get stuck in doorways or staring at walls now. We do have an ongoing issue where they're reluctant to drive our vehicles though which is resisting my efforts to fix. Also you can order your squad to go places now. So yea, there's a lot more pew pew going on. Also, we have a scheduled play session on Saturdays about 7pm gmt on the cozworld server in my sig :)

Last edited:

acapulco

Mar 6, 2009
Tried that thing yesterday and I have to say, stunning material! You have really 1st class visuals for a modification. Seems a bit Homeworld oriented, but I frigging love it. Was really fun to cruise around.

Nice one! Keep it up.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I did try to visit AFF portal, but came up with understanding little, because of the multitude of titles in the AFF franchise. May I ask, how many installments of Angels Fall First are there and what are they, stand alone games, or mods, like PlanetStorn?

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Hey there. Well, active at the moment is 'Planetstorm', mod and moving over to UDK standalone and '2nd Antarean War', the mmo/rts standalone on the Panda engine. Inactive is 'NCO', the Homeworld 2 mod and 'IronAngels', a prototype space racer done in Python

I should probably mention, as I dont think we announced it here, that the last Planetstorm UT3 version, RC8 was released a few weeks ago, and is available in the usual places. Its massively improved compared to RC5 and is running on our server. We have a regular play night on Sundays 7pm GMT ;)

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
If I may ask, where would I be able to download the latest version of IronAngels? If you aren't developing it, would you at least release what you've got? :)