Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
The price does seem a little off considering you can get everything they've ever done including L4D for $99.

Hopefully there'll be a weekend deal sooner rather than later.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
the demo finally unlocked (1,2 Gb / 2 chapters available for off-line and co-op/multi-player).
and while it is a game with potential it is sad to see it wasted on a multi-player only variant of the game.

Whoever did the AI for the teammates needs to be shot, raised from the dead as a zombie and then cut to pieces and burned to a fine crisp.

what's the ff-ing use of a 'look here'-voicecommand if your dumb as a brick teammates won't respond ?
the idiots also have a habit of blocking doorways and you are forced to take the lead just to get things moving.
In other words : this really is a multi-player only game, single-player is in there as an afterthought.

There's no attempt at gradually introducing more complex enemies in order for players to learn how they operate and need to be fought, which is what I'd expect for a 'campaign'.
It is as if someone picked the cinematics to set the scene, used the invasion-gametype for the mechanics in a slightly more realistic setting and called it a game ...

this is what gears of war would have been if the story had been eliminated.

Fun ? Oh sure.
The levels do make one feel like being the last few survivors in a zombie-infested city.
I just wonder why they felt the need to make everything so ff-ing dark that you need flashlights with nuclear batteries for power.

It's a damned shame that so much potential is wasted.
In fact I'd say this is a mod that costs money instead of a commercially viable game ...

On its own it lacks maps as four simple scenarios really is not enough.
The pc-version does have the advantage of having an infinte supply of maps, but you'd have to get infected by steam first and one still has to wonder why only so few scenarios were made to begin with.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I just wonder why they felt the need to make everything so ff-ing dark that you need flashlights with nuclear batteries for power.

As you progress the sun rises. Later maps will be set during the day, or at least during sunrise.

And I don't know how you can complain. The game is exactly as advertised. A survival horror zombie fest in which you MUST use teamwork to survive. Make sure you play with people who actually use teamwork and communicate with eachother, because that will be infinitely more rewarding than a team of 4 Leroy Jenkins clones who just run off and die.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
the demo finally unlocked (1,2 Gb / 2 chapters available for off-line and co-op/multi-player).
and while it is a game with potential it is sad to see it wasted on a multi-player only variant of the game.

Whoever did the AI for the teammates needs to be shot, raised from the dead as a zombie and then cut to pieces and burned to a fine crisp.

what's the ff-ing use of a 'look here'-voicecommand if your dumb as a brick teammates won't respond ?
the idiots also have a habit of blocking doorways and you are forced to take the lead just to get things moving.
In other words : this really is a multi-player only game, single-player is in there as an afterthought.

Oh my god. Maybe because it's advertised as a multiplayer coop game. It's not even intended to be played singleplayer. If you don't like playing coop, you're not even supposed to be looking in the general direction of L4D. That's like saying team fortress is a crappy game because it turned out to be just an FPS and with a tacked-on singleplayer. The NERVE.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
As usual, JaFO is wrong.

And I don't know how you can complain.
Uhh... he's JaFO. That's how.

Anyways, I played the demo online with 4 other noobs. Clearly there's promise even while we were bumbling about making what I'm sure are very stupid mistakes. I'm not quite sold, but, based on what I heard, the game scales back if your team are full of idiots so I probably didn't quite touch the full experience.

In other words, I'll probably play the demo a couple more times to see if it "clicks" better.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Just finished playing with some friends.

**** YEAH. I loved it. I think the AI plays just fine, I never bothered issuing commands as they got bombs/health/ammo by themselves, killed enemies just fine, revived/healed/protected others when necessary. They were fine.

Playing with friends was just a better experience though. Very fun.

And Jafo, there IS a story attached to it, only you're not getting any of that in this demo, it's just two short levels of zombie fun.

Oh, and expert mode is amazingly difficult, but a fun challenge.

~Jason

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
wait wut

l4d_dem_hospital02_subway0004.jpg

l4d_dem_hospital02_subway0002.jpg

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Eh? i really can't agree there JaFo, maybe the AI works different on the PC and console versions (i assume you are playing on console, since you hate Steam), but i found the AI quite OK.

Granted, this AI is NOT made like you would make AI for a single player only game, if that where the case there would be lots of scripts that make them take cover certain places and such, but AI like that woulden't really be good for L4D anyway, the mechanics of the game is that the 4 people must stick togeather, and that the enemies allways spawn in different places, scripted events would not work with that.

This AI is purely reactionary, they follow the player so the 4 survivors will allways stick togeather, and then they just react to the world around them, they shoot at threats, if another player or bot gets in trouble with a boss they will try to aid him/her, and this works surpicingly well, they navigate fine, they help fallen players and dispense medkits and pills as they should, they shoot just fine, they dont do heaps of freindly fire, and they pick up guns, ammo and meds as they should, they also turn off their flashlights if a witch is near, all in all, they do a very desent job of it, much better than i had anticipated! (the only exception beeing that they don't use explosives, but i think thats a good thing, they could do alot more damage to their own team then the enemy with thouse).

You just have to accept that you will allways be the point man, and have to lead the group, but i don't think thats a bad thing, would anyone really like having to mindlessly follow a group of bots around? and would they make smart choices on where to go next? probably not..

Ultimately, the game will play better with real people, and was ment to be a coop game, but i feel the offline play functions just fine, and i've had lots of fun with it.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
The purple texture thing is a common graphical glitch in all Source games, if your graphics get messed up, you get the purple stuff, its the shaders that are bugging out.

Update drivers and see if that helps, or if that fails and it keeps happening, lower your graphical settings.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I had an annoying amount of stuttering issues. Not a ton, mind you, but enough to be annoying. Haven't really seen them much since my computer upgrade last year, but it's definitely a Source thing. D:

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
Super fun game.

Brizz, lets eff up some zombies tomorrow. ;)

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Well...
I played through the demo few times and I'm not impressed. AI Director they were claiming to be revolutionary seems to be no different from manually placed random spawns. It really gets repetitive very fast. But may be it's the map design to blame. When map is linear for the most part there's only so many place zombies can come from. And item placement is not that interesting as well. Players just go around checking usual nooks and crannies to get pills and grenades.

And I can't say I like game mechanic that discourages moving around. Yeh, sometimes you need to fall back but for the most part it's just "shoot whatever is moving and try not to run around too much or you will get your share of friendly fire". Overall I think it's pretty limited. May be there will be some depth in PvP aspect of the game.
Imagine a tank charging our survivors with the help of hunter and smoker. Toss some usual infected to spice the thing up. Probably it will be easier for boomer to keep low profile in all this chaos and score a successful hit. That sounds almost hopless for survivors. So this is not likely to happen. but I think AI Director will probably cripple infected team. My guess is that AI director won't let more than 2 infected bosses at a time. This degenerates infected style to "keep low profile, wait for cannon fodder to rush in and try to take out those who went astray". This is easily countered by some basic teamwork. -_- I really hope they have better ideas ;)

Boss infected are way too easy to spot (you hear them from a mile away, unless you're in a middle of a fight). And for the most part they pose no threat as long as you're aware of their presence. Except for the tank of cause ;)

Melee attacks seems to be extremely powerful. Get into the corner and spam mose2 - this way you can keep the horde at bay without taking much damage. Boss infected may get you but you have a decent chance of hitting hunter mid-air and meleing smoker's tongue off ;)

Internet find games lobby style is kinda awkward. I was really uncomfortable until I found that openserverbrowser command ;)

Playerbase is kinda weird as well. I got to play with griefers, imbeciles, cluless mic spammers and rambos a lot. I think when demerit system will be introduced there will be loads of elitists as well.

Bottom line: IMO in it's current state (represented by the demo) the game is worth buying. It will probably get better in few month (and cheaper as well ^_^) as valve usually does some decent job at supporting their products but the sad part is that it means TF2 is likely to thrown out of window. I don't think they will release class updates any longer. May be one more but IMO it's unlikely.