Gametype Idea: Drone Strike

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
Before you make any "Oh god, not another RTS mod idea", this only has SOME elements of RTS.

This gametype would have the same goal as Onslaught's; Destroy the enemy powercore. But in this gametype there would be a twist:

The players cannot damage the powercore :eek:

Instead, the players have to build drone vehicles to send at the enemy base. These drone vehicles cost credits, which are earned by 'capturing' turrets, killing enemy drones, and killing enemy players.

There are lots of deactivated, neutral autoturrets around the map, and as i said, capturing them earns you points. To capture a turret, you just blow it up, and it respawns faithful to your team. You can also capture enemy turrets the same way.

Once you have enough credits, you can run back to base and buy the drone vehicles by using the labeled button next to the garage/spawn-pad/whatever. The available vehicles are:

Tank
This small hovertank is the standard attack vehicle, costing only 10 credits. They carry the standard armament of two Anti-Air/Anti-Infantry lasers. It moves slightly slower than a player, and has only about 300 health.

Hovercopter
This is the second best choice for attacks, costing 20 credits each. These guys fly over most obstacles, and move a bit faster than the player. They carry the standard armament, but only has 200 health.

Dreadnaught
NOW we're talking, this baby is the ultimate ground attack vehicle. It is a larger hovertank that moves slower than the regular tank, and has a whopping 800 points of health. They come equipped with the standard armament, but also two plasma launchers, which are easily capable of fragging a freshly spawned player. Unfortunately, to balance this out, these guys cost 100 credits

Harpy
The ultimate in air superiority, the Harpy is to the Hovercopter as the Dreadnaught is to the tank. It moves at the same speed as the tank, and has 600 health. It carries the standard armament, but is the only vehicle that cannot rotate the laser turret to fire sideays, but alse has two homing rocket pods, one of these rockets does half as much damage as the dreadnaught's plasma cannons, but it fires almost twice as fast. These are also expensive, clocking in at 70 credits.

Once you build a unit, it automatically heads off towards the enemy's powercore along a random route, never stopping untill it gets there (unless it bashes into another vehicle, or gets stuck behind a slower vehicle), and attacks any enemy it comes across. This leaves the player free to defend their base from the enemy's onslaught of land and air vehicles.

In some levels there may also be neutal tank & hovercopter spawns in no-man's land, which can be controlled by 'capturing' the nearby satellite dish the same way as a turret.

The different amounts of credits you earn for blowing things up is as follows:

Turrets - 10 credits
Players - 10 credits
Tanks - 10 credits
Capturable spawns - 20 credits
Hovercopters - 10 credits
Dreadnaughts - 80 credits
Harpies - 50 credits

Credits can also be obtained through 10/20/50/100 credit pickups that can randomly spawn on the map.

The vehicles are the only way to destroy the enemy's powercore, so it's highly advised to constantly look to take down enemy forces (be they player, drone or turret) to increase your own.

What do you think? :)

[Edit] Added some things I forgot

Last edited:

dg945

Feb 8, 2004
I think it's a good idea. Would you be able to control the path they go in? Or would you just be able to watch them via camera screen in the top lefthand corner? Again, a great idea.

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
dg945 said:
I think it's a good idea. Would you be able to control the path they go in? Or would you just be able to watch them via camera screen in the top lefthand corner? Again, a great idea.

You'd have no control over the drones at all, so you don't choose the paths. Maybe have them show up on a minimap like in ONS?

Or just leave them to do their own buisness, not knowing where they are :)

[EDIT] Concept Models! On a wallpaper! :)

Last edited:

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
IceDude......are you some sort of frickin' mind reader?! :lol:

Seriously, I know exactly where you got that little bit of inspriation from (a fantastic game called futurecop possibly ;) ) and I had the idea to make a mod based roughly on it as well. I was thinking of going with a single player option as well and actually having the big stompy mech/ hovercraft as well :D Man I love that game \o/

I'm hella up for this if we can get a start made on it (in between FHINV o'course) :tup:

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
Radiosity said:
Icedude......are you some sort of frickin' mind reader?! :lol:

Seriously, I know exactly where you got that little bit of inspriation from (a fantastic game called futurecop possibly ;) ) and I had the idea to make a mod based roughly on it as well. I was thinking of going with a single player option as well and actually having the big stompy mech/ hovercraft as well :D Man I love that game \o/

I'm hella up for this if we can get a start made on it (in between FHINV o'course) :tup:

you win the cookie :)

yes, i did get a significant bit of inspiration from that most awesome (and under-apresiacted) game. I can't remember much about it though, since it's been ages since i lost the CD :(

I'm ready to begin making maps the moment parse says the project is go... maybe after FHI v3 eh? :)

Last edited:

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
*eats the cookie

[Homer]Mmm, chocolate [/Homer] :)

I'd have to agree that Futurecop was very underrated - the graphics and particle effects are still stunning even now, and it was released in - I think - 1995, or possibly 96 :eek: Totally kickass game. We'd have to make a couple of maps that 'borrow' their inspiration from the game, just for that oldskool feeling amongst us few who remember the it :)

Incidentally, I have the game for the pc still \o/

edit - since you don't remember too much about it, I'll point out that the choppers were used exclusively for base defence against the tanks. Flying Fortress was as well, but had a much bigger range and would cover most of the central areas of the map as well as the base.

Last edited:

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Icedude said:
To capture a turret, you just blow it up, and it respawns faithful to your team. You can also capture enemy turrets the same way.

Remember the 'ActionButton' ? It's used to capture neutral turrets. You only needed to blow them up if your opponent had already claimed the turret.

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
well that clear a few things up, i thought i'd never seen helis attacking my base :)

i think having the air units attack the enemy as well, you add a bit of variation for the defenders (perhaps anti-air turrets near the base?)

also, destroying the turrets to claim them just feels more UT-ey :)

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
We could also always include the mode against "Zeus" (formerly known as "Sky Captain") :)

Seeing as he's going be up against a team of people, not just one person, he's gonna have to be very powerful, possibly 2000 health and more firepower than a leviathan, and possibly even have two turrets that can switch between UT2k4 weaponry.

He'd be able to activate his buying things remotely, and blowing him up would get you 300 credits :)

Oh yeah, we'd have to include the spine-chilling taunts like the origional had :D

Last edited:

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
Smarts and firepower :)

Anyways, here's some screenies of a map for DS i've been working on called Downtown Alpha. This is an overview of most of the level before i put the bases in:

DS-DowntownAlpha.jpg

And here's one of the bases:

DS-DowntownAlphaBase.jpg

T-1

DFGHIDFJ
Jun 9, 2004
You could make the drones 'possessable' so normally the AI drives them, but you can drive it too if you think your smarter. The main problem with this could be if you drive into an area that has no pathnodes and get out of the drone then the AI could get confused. Also manta-style hoverdrones would be cool too. No reason to make it too similar to Futurecop. Hmmm. Another idea: make a more powerful version of the ONSGrenadeLauncher. Attach grenades to attacking tank. Watch from the distance, then detonate. And you could make all kinds of different types of turrets. You could also use the invasion monsters as drones...

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
T-1 said:
You could make the drones 'possessable' so normally the AI drives them, but you can drive it too if you think your smarter.

Its a nice idea, but the main gimmick of the mod is that you can't controll them, so it wouldnt really work out that well

You could also use the invasion monsters as drones...

Also a nice idea, maybe this could be done with a mutator? :)

Moofis

May 20, 2004
Someone wrote (forgot)
You could also use the invasion monsters as drones...

Maybe possible i know there can be player owned monster in utrpg2004 but directing them to go there is another deal.

Last edited:

[CD]Icedude

Hurf da Durf
Dec 13, 2001
#batcountry
List of stuff that would need coding, as parser asked for on irc (may or may not be an actual list of all things, i know nothing about coding, so more actors may be needed)

Gametype
Powercores
Land Unit Spawn
Air Unit Spawn
Hovertank unit & weapons
Dreadnaught unit & weapons
Hovercopter unit & weapons
Flying Fortress unit (called Harpy in earlier posts) & weapons
Drone Turrets
Base Drone Turrets (can't be captured. possibly just an option for normal turrets)
Bot AI
Drone-only volume (you can't set blockingvolumes to only allow one kind of actor into them :( )
Outpost sattelite dish (used for catupring outpost)
Outpost land unit spawn
Outpost air unit spawn
Outpost spawn triggers (might not be needed, if the unit spawns check the team of the triggerer)

And if we add the 'coop' mode i meantioned in a post further down:

Sky Captain/Zeus unit & weapons
Sky Captain/Zeus spawn point (for setting up what events the unit needs to trigger to spawn units)

i think that might be it

And therefore we'd need modelling:

Hovertank (& seperate turret peice?)
Dreadnaught (& seperate turret peice?)
Hovercopter (& seperate turret peice?)
Flying Fortress (& seperate turret peice?)
Sky Captain/Zeus (& seperate turret peices?)
Base drone turret
Neutral drone turret

Edit: more stuff & modelling

Last edited:

Wookiee

Lets Rock
Aug 4, 2004
Man I want to see this come together, sounds like an awesome gametype :) I also really like mods/gametypes that allow for more than the 32 player limit by making AI-controlled 'characters'. This looks really cool.