Something I don't understand about DSL.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
My roommate and I have recently switched from cable to DSL. When we first started up the DSL, we had problems, e.g. we would only get speeds of around 300kbps when we were paying for a minimum speed of 384kbps. While we were waiting to get this problem resolved, I could play online games such as Raven-Shield just fine so long as my roommate wasn't on Sharaza. So I figured I needed ~300kbps to get a few decent pings.

The technician came out, and we narrowed down the problem to a bad line filter and my roommate runnng the DSL line through a surge protector. Anyway, with everything fixed, we now get speeds of ~650kbps. When my roommate has Sharaza on full throttle, the bandwidth testing sites tell me that I am getting ~300-420kbps down, and ~ 100kbps up. But now when I go to play RvS, I get asstastic pings in the 1400 range.

Why is this? I still have about 300kbps not being eaten up by Sharaza, so shouldn't things be running as smoothly as they were before?

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
It's not bandwidth you should care about, it's response time. You can easily get by with 50kbps as long as the conditions are clear. However, when the load is high, even at high bandwidth, response times go through the roof. I would recommend having a Per-Cycle router, however those are a bit expensive

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
move to canada. Get 3mbit/786kbit for 60$/month.
I will do that then.

I paid 30 euros a month for adsl, and got nothing. Will get my money back though.

Best deal I can afford right now is probably some stupid 15 euro a month adsl that is going to give me 10 kilobytes a second down.

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
10 mbits dl on adsl in Portugal...for something like 25€/month.

That is what I witnessed there when visiting my godchild this summer.

Me with "only" 3mbits but quite happy.

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
MadWoffen said:
10 mbits dl on adsl in Portugal...for something like 25?/month.

That is what I witnessed there when visiting my godchild this summer.

Me with "only" 3mbits but quite happy.
10 mbit on ADSL? I thought 8032kbit was the [theoretical] max for ADSL?

The only ?25 10mbit solution I know of is those fiber optic offers you get in apartment blocks and the like.

Last edited:

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
I just know it was 10mbits. According to iom I got on irc at the time, he know about this technology but will only be available in 5 years in France.
If it could help, he lives on a block but I witnessed myself the 10mbits bandwith. Don't ask me for technical details however.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:

Thanks for the help, man :D

The problem with telling him to stop using Sharaza when I want to play is that he is paying for half of the bill.

Wait a minute....he can leave it on all ****ing night long, while I will only play for about 5 hours a day, max. He leaves for work in the afternoons and doesn't come home till around 5, while I usually get done with classes at 2. Methinks his computer will "accidentally" get disconnected from the hub this afternoon.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
canada may not be the home of broadband, but it sure is the broadband heaven :)

you can't find many places to live in southern Ontario where there ISNT fibre optic wiring on your street. I could get 10mb if i wanted to pay for it, but i'm paying 20$/month for 786kb-up/128kb-down with no bandwidth limit (Sympatico). AccessVantage also offers a 1mbit/128kb for 25$/month.

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Well it wouldn't supprise me if the ping times were just caused by stupid routing on the ISP's part. Roadrunner over here has on average 30 hops to get to a site that's in town! It goes all the way out to LA then comes back. So people in LA get better routes to my server than I do. It's absurd.

Oh, and they also like to just randomly turn off the cable plant at night while I'm talking to my wife in Hong Kong. Just chatting along and suddenly she's not responding for like 15 minutes. So I go check the carrier signal light on the modem... of course! No signal! Wait an hour signal comes back... start chatting again... boom it goes out again. Stupid POS roadrunner!

Last edited:

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
My roommate has one of his Linux machines set up as a router, and since I know nothing about Linux whatsoever, I can't really go in and start setting up times within whch certain IPs can access intenet and certain ones can't.

I will just ask him tonight if we can just set up some sort of retarded "internet usage schedule." I just wish I had the bandwidth to render such measure unnecessary.

Oh well....thank you all for your help.

P.S. Could you explain your post in a little bit more detail, Scuddie?

And unixman, how would I go about checking and subsequently bitching to my ISP about the routing?

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
MadWoffen said:
I just know it was 10mbits. According to iom I got on irc at the time, he know about this technology but will only be available in 5 years in France.
If it could help, he lives on a block but I witnessed myself the 10mbits bandwith. Don't ask me for technical details however.

A friend of mine has 10 megabit DSL at his office (he owns a small economics consulting firm) . Apparently, the maximum possible speed of DSL is inversely proportional to the length of the phone lines -- he's located really close to the main switch office in Pasadena, so he was able to arrange for uberDSL.