Recommend some Android apps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Recently dropped the iPhone 4 and upgraded to an HTC One (a hell of an upgrade if I do say so!)

So, starting over on a whole new ecosystem, I need to populate this sucker with some games and tools. Anyone got any recommendations?

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Can't really recommend individual apps but I can tell you which one to avoid at all costs - Facebook.
Do not, I repeat, do not install that **** on your phone.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Some apps that I've found useful are:

MX Player - media player
Shortyz - crosswords, great while waiting for meetings
JuiceDefender - power management
FX - file manager
SwiftKey - on-screen keyboard replacement
Steam - has working chat

I also like some of the remote control type apps:

ConnectBot - ssh client
Yatse - XBMC remote control
LG TV Remote - TV remote
Youtube - can remote control the TV's Youtube app

SwiftKey as already stated. Probably the best thing I have on there.
Beautiful Widgets - Customize that clock and weather to look good.
Flashlight - Should be a no brainer.
Flixter - Great for finding local theaters and movie times quickly.
Google Play Music - $7.50/month for unlimited music. It's like Pandora, but much much better. You can skip as much as you want, replay the song as many times as you like, make playlists, and if you are going on a flight, you can download the songs to your phone.
Bank App - Check to see if your bank has an app for you
TED - for watching all your TED Talks clips
aDownloader - For downloading torrents via mobile
Steam - Steam...
AndroIRC - IRC client
Convert Pad - Converts numbers into other numbers for around the world and measurements (C to F, $ to pounds etc)
Groupon - Save some dosh

Ingress
- Google game that's pretty neat, check it out.
Meteor Blitz Free
Plague Inc. (awesome little game)
Sentinel3 - Best Tower Defense game imo on android

This is my home screen. Electric Plasma Live Wallpaper. Pretty rad.
ymnrDri.jpg

Last edited:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Congrats! At the beginning of the year I switched from my webOS-toting Pre to the Galaxy S3. Anyway, here are some select recommendations:

Nova Launcher: I hate the stock TouchWiz launcher, so if you hate your stock Sense launcher, then Nova is the way to go.
BaconReader: An excellent Reddit client.
Amazon Appstore: I only use the Amazon Appstore for Android for the free app of the day, which is sometimes a very fun game.
ES File Explorer File Manager: The file manager to end all file managers.
pressureNET: A crowdsourced atmospheric pressure network, that takes readings from your barometer, if you are interested.

Games:
Plague Inc.: Control a world-wide pandemic.
Ingress: Google's ARG. If you need an invite, I have a few left.
Humble Bundle: Sometimes, like right now, the Humble Bundle has great selection of games that can be run on Android. You just have to be on the lookout for these deals.
Other than those, there are so many great games out there.

Also, I would stock up with various Google Apps, such as Goggles, Google Sky Map, My Tracks, etc.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Swiftkey is a must. Blows away the stock keyboards.

For games, this is one of the most unique experiences I've had the privilege of playing. Sure it's $1.99, but unlike 99% of Android games out there, you won't have to deal with any microtransaction BS.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Can't really recommend individual apps but I can tell you which one to avoid at all costs - Facebook.
Do not, I repeat, do not install that **** on your phone.

Didn't have a choice, it came installed. It was a system app. It's okay though, I had a friend root it for me who knows all about this stuff, and then I installed Greenify. It lets you hibernate apps, so they can't do anything without you running them explicitly. And I used ROM Toolbox to uninstall it and then put a version on there that doesn't track my location. I can upload the APK if anyone wants it.

Checked these out, grabbed a few, they look pretty good. ES File Manager is pretty good.

Grabbed the live wallpaper, I paid the dollar and two cents for it. It's really awesome, I like it.

I found a game called Pixel Dungeon. It's a roguelike dungeon crawler, it's free and needs no permissions to run. It's actually pretty fun, I like it a lot.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Other then mentioned...

Replace your default sms with GoSMS Pro... more features, better control, themeing.

Colornote is good for notes and shit

Convertpad is useful at times.

cargo decoder - ever wonder what the 4 digit hazardous cargo codes on trucks indicate? Wonder no longer.

Electrodroid - resistor color code index, ohm calculator, reactance/resonance calculator, decibel converter, and so so much more. A literal must have for anybody who tinkers with electronics.

Spectrum analyzer- audio graphing utility for audiophiles/sound engineers.

All free apps.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Swiftkey is a must. Blows away the stock keyboards.

For games, this is one of the most unique experiences I've had the privilege of playing. Sure it's $1.99, but unlike 99% of Android games out there, you won't have to deal with any microtransaction BS.
FYI, this is in the humble bundle going right now with a bunch of other excellent Android games.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
[GU]elmur_fud;2593979 said:
Replace your default sms with GoSMS Pro... more features, better control, themeing.

GoSMS (and all Go apps) is bloatware begging you with prompts and messages to buy their terrible product(s). Try ChompSMS for no bloat and excellent features.

SDMaid - Phone cleaning greatness.

Zedge - Wallpapers, ringtones and notification sounds.

Also, if you root, grab Adaway. Removes ads in your browser and in apps.

Last edited:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Can someone throw me an invite for Ingress? Thx. (jkallemeyn@Nospam.gmail.com)

Just to throw my 2 cents in on this...
Go Launcher
Video Live Wallpaper - I roll video clips over and over like a looped gif as a wallpaper with this.
Instant Radar - Live doppler radar for the great outdoors. I probably use this app more than anything else.
Navionics GPS - This one is a bit spendy ($15) but it turns your phone into a portable GPS unit with lake contours etc. With the satellite overlay via Google this kicks the hell out of any handheld GPS, as your maps tend to be much more accurate.
Drisk - Its not risk, but it really is ;)

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
GoSMS is bloatware...
Your opinion has been noted.

A non-biased analysis... If you are the type of person that prefers the simplification of chrome over firefox's pandering to us control freaks, you will probably like chomp better...following that logic... If you are an IE person that standard messaging app is for you.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
It's not my opinion, bro. It's fact. Just because you like it doesn't mean it's not bloated.

GoSMS Pro: 7.7 MB

ChompSMS: 4.6 MB

Handcent SMS: 3.4 MB

It has twice, or near there to it, the feature set of it's competitor's so I am not shocked at twice the size (also given that it uses a more graphics rich ui then chomp or handcent did 3 years ago). I am just trying to help the man make an educated decision. It matters not to me what he chooses.

If you have evidence that it is actually bloatware, and not just an app with a naturally larger file size because there is more there to it, you should state it. And spam isn't the same as bloat. Some free apps run ads to make money Go sms sells themes. Make your own theme and it shuts up about it.

Nice edit of your original comment, you now sound like a Monty Python sketch "Try Crelm toothepaste for 100% protection".

But what is bloatware?...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat

As a point of fact I don't like Go sms pro. It meets my desire to be in control of every function of my tech better then any other stock SMS alternative, but it also pisses me off in allot of little details like the spam which isn't as prevalent as you indicated but it is there from time to time.

Last edited: