Developer advice thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
If you could, can you list your skills in programming (languages, software, etc) and any advice you could give. Looking to build my skills back.

As we speak, I am learning C++ right now.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
UnrealScript, Java, C#, bit of C++.

I've always found it easier to learn by having something that works that I can break to find out how and why it works. Starting from Hello World leaves a huge disconnect for me, asking ok, how do I use this to actually DO anything?

For example, a few months ago I started messing around with XNA. I downloaded and set up the Platformer Starter Kit and started making small changes to it so I could pick apart and examine how the code is all connected.

My advice (assuming you're already familiar with the basics of programming languages) would be to find some open source or free source code in the language you want to learn and start poking at it.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
So, does that mean you have any previous experience with Object Oriented programming?

Visual Basic.NET count? (hence my username)

I've always found it easier to learn by having something that works that I can break to find out how and why it works. Starting from Hello World leaves a huge disconnect for me, asking ok, how do I use this to actually DO anything?

For example, a few months ago I started messing around with XNA. I downloaded and set up the Platformer Starter Kit and started making small changes to it so I could pick apart and examine how the code is all connected.

My advice (assuming you're already familiar with the basics of programming languages) would be to find some open source or free source code in the language you want to learn and start poking at it.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
VB.NET should be quite OOPish. From the VB syntax to the C++ syntax it's a longer way than from e.g. C#, Java or UnrealScript, though. And all those languages are garbage-collected, while C++ isn't. Also you usually won't get nice exceptions telling you waht went wrong and where, but only weird misbehavior or crashes. ;)

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
VB.NET should be quite OOPish. From the VB syntax to the C++ syntax it's a longer way than from e.g. C#, Java or UnrealScript, though. And all those languages are garbage-collected, while C++ isn't. Also you usually won't get nice exceptions telling you waht went wrong and where, but only weird misbehavior or crashes. ;)

Thing about VB.NET is I learned it back in 06. I wanted to get back into programming and I saw my brother had a C++ book in the house so I have been trying that. Should I be doing something else tho?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Then you will probably have three main tasks:
  • Refresh your VB.NET knowledge (not necessarily in practice, but try to remember as much as possible).
  • Get to know the differences between VB-style and C-style syntax.
  • Wrap your head around the fact that C++ does not have a built-in garbage collector and you mess with pointer, not just references.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
Then you will probably have three main tasks:
  • Refresh your VB.NET knowledge (not necessarily in practice, but try to remember as much as possible).
  • Get to know the differences between VB-style and C-style syntax.
  • Wrap your head around the fact that C++ does not have a built-in garbage collector and you mess with pointer, not just references.

The second one I'm starting to understand.

Now which one would be better to learn first, C++ or Java? (found a Java book in the house now)

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com

Unless you're planning on using the UE3 version of UDK I'd stay away from UnrealScript as it's now deprecated. UE4 uses C++ exclusively, so learn that instead if you're planning on becoming an Unreal developer.

C# is probably what you should learn if you're interested in working with Unity3D/Mono for gamedev, or if you just want to build .NET applications. In Unity's case, JavaScript knowledge can also be useful because UnityScript is based on it. However, C# seems to have a much larger userbase across the Unity development community (meaning you'll be more desirable to a Unity shop.) With that said, C# and UnityScript aren't all that different in practice, so you'll do fine whichever one you pick so long as you can adapt. Ping me sometime if you want a crash-course on Unity development.

Java is a great place to start if you want to build applications. Support for the Java VM is extremely prolific across all kinds of platforms and porting Java apps to Android is trivial. I wouldn't recommend making a game in Java, though; the issues and limitations Project Zomboid and Minecraft have faced with Java are fantastic examples of why it's not a good game platform in the long run.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
Yup, learn C++. Then take a peek into perl python c# (just a peek like 1-2 weekends). Then learn some database building or some skill that can give you stable entry job in programming. While having that boring job, start looking for your real job, all the time learning new things.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
If you intend to stay in DC, and for traditional business/government software development, I’d say focus on C#/T-SQL.

FYI, those skills won't necessarily be portable everywhere, in case you might consider hopping over to SF/NYC/London to play startup sometime in the future. There languages like Ruby are a safer bet, and you should know your JavaScript, both in the browser and on the server.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Something like Java or C# is probably easiest for fundamental programming without having to deal with low level stuff, where something like C is a bit low level and something like C++ is a bit muddled. For web applications strong Javascript and picking up some of the common frameworks will also be very useful.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Hmm? Oh, I was just listing my skills as requested, not making a suggestion. Yeah I wouldn't learn UnrealScript at this point unless you have a reason to use UE3 instead of UE4.

Ah, sorry. That's what I get for skimming ;)

If you intend to stay in DC, and for traditional business/government software development, I’d say focus on C#/T-SQL.

FYI, those skills won't necessarily be portable everywhere ...

I'd gather that C# is pretty much portable everywhere at this point; Unity3D and .NET shops can be found worldwide and that's the language they primarily use in my experience. Plus, with Mono, C# has cross-platform support so you won't get pigeonholed into being just a Windows developer.

Still... if your primary aspiration is to get paid, I'd probably go with C++ or VB. Something like that.

Last edited: