UTGOTY mouse problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bacon buster

Mar 20, 2008
hi all. first post on these forums, and i was hoping to get some help. UT99 in australia is pretty much dead, so i thought i'd come here! :)

i upgraded my PC for UT3, and we all know how that bombed. so i wanted to go back and play some UT. however, the game ran too fast, to the point of it being unplayable. i managed to fix the graphical issues, to the point where it is playable. the only way i was able to do this was by either disabling one of my CPUs (i run dual core) or setting the compatibilty mode to 'Windows 98/ME'

my main problem is that my mouse movement is completely and utterly different to what it was, once again, to the point of it being unplayable. every time i 'flick' my mouse to do a turn greater than 45 degrees, my mouse goes out of control and will do 180 degree turns. i flick up slightly, and i'm looking at the ceiling. this results in being killed, missing easy shots, suicides and an inability to move around the maps properly.

i assume there is a link between the graphical issues and the mouse issues.

these are some things i have tried:

-reducing mouse speed from 3.2 to 1.6. this helps somewhat, but flicking is still an issue.
-enabling and disabling 'enhanced pointer precision' in XP
-editing the X and Y mouse movement speeds in the UT.ini
-using the D3D9 drivers, and the latest OGL drivers. these once again made it more playable, but still not enough.
-enabling and disabling 'mouse smoothing' and 'directinput' in the UT menu
-reinstalling UT

i still use the same mouse i always have had. i am at a complete loss. i hope someone can help, because i can't play UT until this is fixed :(

if there is any other information you guys need to help me solve this issue, please let me know.

thanks in advance.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
man, I've been having the same exact problem with my mouse. I thought it could be my mouse ports or the mouse itself causing those weird 360 turns and always tripping, but I guess it might be something else. I have a friend that has been having the same issue as well and both of us can't play at all because of the mouse always messing us up in game.

I was wondering if the problem was being cause because of my PC being so old and running Win98 still or because of the mouse being 3 years old lol. Another guess I was making was maybe one of my mods causing it since my friend had installed all my mods to test them with me. So, if somebody has experienced this mouse problem and has been able to fix it, I would like to hear about it too.

What's really weird is that I've been using this same computer for years but since 3 years ago the mouse started tripping like that for who knows what reason but never did it before from what I remember. Could the problem be caused by DirectX versions?

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
bacon buster
I'm not sure if it will be of any help I'll give it a try =)

1. Enhanced OpenGL is the best way to handle UT now I guess.

2. When you're toying with directinput setting you need to restart UT for it to take effect. (sometimes you have to do it couple of times %) For example sometimes I need to restart UT 2 or 3 times swapping directinput setting each time to get rid of mouse acceleration)

3. You may want to check SwapInterval setting in your UT.ini (valid values are 1,-1,0)

4. Actually it may something to do with your drivers but this idea is kinda weird. Check if UT uses 100% of your CPU when running. If it does... well, that's may really be hardware/driver issue. Reinstalling DirectX, drivers and windows update may help.

5. Generally speaking dual core CPUs are a bit problematic with UT. You may want to apply a patch to fix this problem (I recall I saw amd and microsoft patches for multi-core CPUs). There was a number of threads about modern PC issues here but I'm not sure if there are any after "the great crash". Probably "Tweak UT graphics to the max" thread still has some info on it. (I'm just t lazy to dig this info atm :p)

6. If you're using some specific driver software like logitech setpoint it may help to uninstall it...

7. Another idea is to try plugging USB mouse into the PS/2 port via some USB-PS/2 connector or something like that %)

War_Master
Actually it may be the mouse problem. It happens to optical and laser devices (especially the cheap ones %) ) Sometimes it goes extreme with pointer jumping across the screen even during normal work %)
As far as I remember A4tech had some program called micejudge or something like that that tries to tell you if your mouse is any good =) You may want to try it and if your mouse scores really low... well, you know what to do ^^ (borrow a mouse from a friend for example ;) )

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I had only minor mouse issues, that happens only when the mouse is on a coloured mousepad as the laser gets 'confused' and the mouse starts shaking around. When using one-colour pad, everything's OK.
With dual cores, the best way to fix that is simply disabling one core.