game servers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Mar 6, 2004
Me and Customz have been talking and thinking of buying a nR server for UTXMP. We don't want a cheap crappy server that's like 5 bucks..we want a good server..i presume 20-60 dollar range that is in central area so it's good ping for both sides. Anyone got any ideas?

Killinya

[BBF]Killinya
Feb 2, 2004
(GR)Killer said:
Me and Customz have been talking and thinking of buying a nR server for UTXMP. We don't want a cheap crappy server that's like 5 bucks..we want a good server..i presume 20-60 dollar range that is in central area so it's good ping for both sides. Anyone got any ideas?

Good luck finding a server. Best get on it so you have a Server to do your NR matches on...

Killinya

[BBF]Killinya
Feb 2, 2004
(GR)Killer said:
Isn't your server like $150 per month?

yes, but we own the WHOLE server, not just a game on it...which is what most of the Gameserver guys do for $60-90 a month.

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
fireball said:
Looks like a good deal, but I'd do a few searches on their name and see if there's any bad news about them (VSK anyone?)

I would most DEFINITELY stay AWAY from VSK no matter how good a deal you think you are getting. Trust me, in the end you'll be sorry you ever heard the name.

EDIT: BTW, you are going to be hard pressed to find any game server company to host a UTXMP server (cheaply at least). Even if they quote you a decent price, chances are they will up the rate as soon as they see how many resources it consumes. It takes a heckuva box which means not many other servers can run on the same hardware making the price go up.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
Dual Intel Xeon Pentium 4
2.8Ghz processors
4 gigabytes of RAM in
each server
SCSI Raid 5:
PERC 4-DI with 128MB Battery Backed Cache
Three 73 Gigabyte hard drives in each server
Dual Gigabit Ethernet
Redundant Power Supplies
Full UPS System

Hows that for a server?

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Yeah, for a server dedicated to a single game instance, 4GB RAM is way overkill. 2GB should be more than enough. The CPU is what seems to get hammered the most, especially when you have a large # of players. Invest in the CPU. Also you'd be better off getting a 3.8GHz Xeon CPU with 2MB cache on it rather than 2 slower CPU's. Games just don't use dual CPU's yet.

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
Dual CPU might be useful if he wanted two separate servers though, but I have no idea how you'd set the affinity of the two games remotely. However, I'd hope windows or linux (dunno which it's using) isn't retarded enough to assign both to the same one.
I should go test higher player counts now that 3369 supposedly reduced CPU load..