Legally protected if I so choose to be blasphemous.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
[GU]elmur_fud;2532949 said:
Keep telling yourself that. I have heard the 'what you believe in a god you must be an imbecile' routine even on these very forums so many times I am probably flattening my face from all the face palms.

No offense to Epicurus but God is portrayed as not being willing to take away free will. That he is not willing to turn people into mindless yes-men to prevent evil. Is not the same as being malevolent... So I would say 'Epicurus failing since A.D.33' but Epicurus referred to the Greek gods of the day and not the Hebrew god. So more of a Atheist demote poster fail... He can't even spell Atheists right.

Which 'God' are you talking of that is portrayed as not 'all-powerful'?

Religious Institutions, not 'God', will turn you into a 'yes man'.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I hope it's obvious that just because someone believes in God does not mean it exists. "Belief" in something is just a feeling inside your head. Sometimes inside mine too. That's probably the result of my ancestors being believers and myself having a religious education. That feeling doesn't impair me and actually can be great sometimes. However I mind my damn own business and don't even try to impose my feelings upon others. I don't follow some retarded religion because I really don't like such circus.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the problem with religion is organized religion.

it would be fine if it were a personal thing that was kept within the home/family and not used to influence every policy decision under the god damn sun.
but it's not. so it sucks.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that [GU]elmur_fud isn't the douche I thought he was. If he's religious, that's fine, but from what I've seen he doesn't push it onto others in any way. So to debate about who said what and what they meant in terms of religion is kind of pointless with him, believe what you want to believe and leave him be. The debate is pointless. No one is changing anyone's mind here.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that [GU]elmur_fud isn't the douche I thought he was. If he's religious, that's fine, but from what I've seen he doesn't push it onto others in any way.
Was he a douche? That's news to me.

I agree though about religion. If someone is religious that's well and good for them but, as been stated above, it's only when you get the stuff rammed down your throat by organised religions that it becomes a problem.

If someone believes in a god that's their prerogative; more power to them.

Personally I don't believe and I don't have the necessary faith. I would hope that position could be respected as much as I am willing to respect that someone else has faith.

Just don't try and organise me into anything.....

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
The religious ones should really start to provide answers to questions like "who created God?" and "what is God made of?"

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The religious ones should really start to provide answers to questions like "who created God?" and "what is God made of?"
A god made us who was in turn made by another god who was in turn made by another god............ it's a vicious infinite regress; an unanswerable question.

Either that or I need to watch more Stargate Universe.:lol:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Which 'God' are you talking of that is portrayed as not 'all-powerful'?

Religious Institutions, not 'God', will turn you into a 'yes man'.

I can't speak for Islam (or most other belief systems) on this as I have never came across a real yes or no answer their, but the christian biblical portrayal is of a god that doesn't want to force himself on people, he doesn't want to rape your free will. The same can't be said about Greek gods so it falls to a frame of reference thing. My comment was in regards to the Epicurus quote that has been taken out of context and is being used as a tool of manipulation.

not so. missed the point.

Epicurus was pointing out the hypocrisy of religion.

I didn't miss the point, whomever made that did, or more likely they didn't have the necessary frame of reference to understand his comment. Or were so quick to try and riducle something they didn't like that they didn't think it through or do enough research. Greek gods aren't worshiped much if at all anymore so obviously the demote is aimed at modern religion. Of which what they are quoting had nothing to do with.

Epicurus himself was not an atheist at all either, he merely believed the Greek gods didn't give a crap. I doubt he believed in the Jewish god at all if he had even heard of him. The Christians didn't exist in 33AD. Jesus was purportedly crucified and rose from the dead in 32AD.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that [GU]elmur_fud isn't the douche I thought he was. If he's religious, that's fine, but from what I've seen he doesn't push it onto others in any way. So to debate about who said what and what they meant in terms of religion is kind of pointless with him, believe what you want to believe and leave him be. The debate is pointless. No one is changing anyone's mind here.

Well in all fairness I have made management everywhere I have ever worked and most managers are at least something of a douche so the odds are good that I am at least a bit of 1. :D (Actually I try very hard not be a douche of a manager those types piss me off).

Was he a douche? That's news to me.

I agree though about religion. If someone is religious that's well and good for them but, as been stated above, it's only when you get the stuff rammed down your throat by organised religions that it becomes a problem.

If someone believes in a god that's their prerogative; more power to them.

Personally I don't believe and I don't have the necessary faith. I would hope that position could be respected as much as I am willing to respect that someone else has faith.

Just don't try and organise me into anything.....

Well technically Atheism is a semi organized system of disbelief so... yeah apparently I'm a douche... :p ;)

My whole point was that the demote is crap, it's trying to use the name of some1 respected to convey the appearance of authority upon there own personal opinion. I have no problem with the opinion. If you feel that religion is hypocritical that is your prerogative. But trying to paint some1 as being something they weren't and saying something they didn't is deceitful.

I am a little anal retentive about honesty. Which of course in some peoples opinion's here on these forums that means that I must be massively delusional.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
[GU]elmur_fud;2533117 said:
Well technically Atheism is a semi organized system of disbelief

How is it organized? Athiests/Agnostics do not have any meeting place, no meeting time, no set rules, no set agenda, no real coordination, no basic organization.

They do not meet in some special place every special time of the week to do special acts.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2533117 said:
Greek gods aren't worshiped much if at all anymore so obviously the demote is aimed at modern religion. Of which what they are quoting had nothing to do with.
Stop saying that, lol. I don't know the original quote, but the way it's quoted here it has nothing at all to do with Greek gods but with the god of the Jews/Christians/Muslims. In this case, probably the Jewish god, but it applies to all of them, so who cares.
It can't apply to Greek gods a) because it's singular but without a name. Which god would he be referring to? b) no Greek god was said to be omnipotent. Quite the opposite, in fact. c) no Greek god was willing to do good for goodness' sake. Some cared about certain things and punished and rewarded according to how people behaved around these things and of course hybris had to be punished, but other than that they were lying sacks just like us humans.:)