UT2004 - MODEL - Hide - Kouryuu aka Dragon Of Metal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you think of this model?

• :tup:

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • :hmm:

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • :tdown:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Skin/Model Name: Kouryuu aka Dragon Of Metal
UT(99/2k3/2k4): UT2004 retail+
System Requirements: None specified / Not applicable
Author: Hide
Download: SkinCity

Screenshot:

Model: Original
Animation: Default Animation - Alien
Voice: Default Voice - Robot
Other: Custom species later released

Support (SP/MP/Both): Both - Single Player and Multiplayer
Support (Team Colours) (None/2/4): 2 Team Colours
Known Issues: None
Additional Info: From the ReadMe;

Polygons: 4076

Modelling: LightWave 7.5
Constructing PSK: MilkShape 3D 1.7.1
Skinning: Photoshop 6.0
Packing UKX: UnrealED 3.0
Build Time: Not specified

REVIEW

A metal dragon - now who ever heard of such a thing in the Unreal universe? It's an original and well thought out new character for the game. The name means 'Ultimate Dragon' in Japanese so it begs the question "just how ultimate is this guy?" Read on...

The Good:

The polygon count is well inline with standard 2k4 characters so having sixteen of these running around a map at the same time shouldn't be a problem. The skin is nicely animated (always a plus imo so you're not seeing the same thing everytime) and has a very shiny metal look. Team colours are themed in that the red has a fire storm effect and blue has a water flow effect - not just a simple recolour here. These effects move through the dragon's wings so it looks really cool.

He plays very well as with all Hide's characters that I've seen. A formidable opponent but great as a team mate too. Kouryuu is available as the player's character in Single Player mode which is a plus and another plus is that the bio is written into the .upl so no need for editing xplayers info (which later gets wiped with every patch).

Finally, the ReadMe instructions re. installation are easy to follow (no "I don't know where to put it" here).

The Bad:

LOD settings aren't specified so anyone with World detail set to low/medium won't be able to appreciate it as much - character detail will have no effect. The name can be seen in the portrait :eek: Hide I'm surprised at you!

The downside of having abilities maxed out (in the .upl) is that anyone used to playing at Adept or lower will suddenly be up against a Godlike bot if chosen via the bot roster - this could put people off but won't affect my score as abilities can be tweaked in game ;)

The metallic look is a little too shiny for my taste and gives the impression of low detail.

The Bottom Line:

Given that this was only Hide's fourth model it's pretty damn good. Not my favourite by Hide but it's up there among his best. Hide's commitment to supporting his work is outstanding as an add-on was posted here for this model (I've attached that new species here so I'm taking that into consideration too with the score). So, if you haven't seen this already I'd recommend you go get it now :tup:

TOTAL SCORE 7.75/10

Attachments

• TrueKouRyuu.ZIP
    2.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Starry Might

bFemale=True
I have this model. :D

I'd give it a 9/10.

klasnic said:
LOD settings aren't specified so anyone with World detail set to low/medium won't be able to appreciate it as much - character detail will have no effect.
Really? :eek: I never noticed...

klasnic said:
The downside of having abilities maxed out (in the .upl) is that anyone used to playing at Adept or lower will suddenly be up against a Godlike bot if chosen via the bot roster - this could put people off but won't affect my score as abilities can be tweaked in game ;)
Don'tcha just hate when that happens? ;)

Anyway, nice review Klasnic! :)

Last edited:

Random Elite

Put your feet up and frag.
Jul 9, 2005
Earth
A truely awesome model :rockon: One of my all time favourites 9/10 (more noticeable team colours would have got you a 10, say his body and limbs where team-coloured, instead of just his solar panels) Also, CTF4 support would have been very much apprcated (if I could get to their flipping site and d/l it again that is!)
Go get his brothers, KouRyuu B and C aswell. Same probs with team colours.

Overall you will want this model, to be as, to fight with or against (so long as you like kickass robots)

Last edited:

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
nice:rockon: ....I have this too
the only problem is that I always get a female voice and not a robot one...
it's got a nice reflection and it seems that in bot matches (godlike) that this bot always does the best...WHY??:confused: :404:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Hide maxed out the abilities... (See the bad in review). When you choose the bot in the bot roster you can edit the abilties so he's not quite as good or else always make sure he's always on your team ;)

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
how do you make sure that he's on your team??
or can you choose what opponent you can have suring a deathmatch??

Random Elite

Jul 9, 2005
Earth
Yes
Go to match rules and in the top right is a drop down menu with;
Map Defualts
Specify Number
Use Roster

Selecting the 3rd option will highlight another tab and you can choose the bots and customize them, tuning ablitys, weapon preference and even starting orders!

Remember, don't just fill up 1 team, 'cos the option 'bots balance teams' will chop it in half and you'll be fighting half your team. So turn it off and balance it yourself.

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
yay

if you can do that then you can have uber bots for single player-GODLIKE!!!:)

HAVING FUN!!
I wonder what this looks like...:D....

Edit by Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
Kabs-BUB said:
Spam5.gif

Kabs-BUB

Oct 11, 2005
today I saw somebody on Omnip)o(tents having the same skin
now I wonder now if the server itself has it-he recognized me too:rockon:

Edit by Mod : And again massive use of smileys.

Last edited by a moderator:

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
skincity.beyondunreal.com
Kabs-BUB , don´t spam here at the board.
Your first post (the deleted one) was really useless.

And if you forgot something , there is no need to post again 2 minutes later .
Edit is your friend.

Random Elite

Jul 9, 2005
Earth
Starry Might said:
:confused: My copy of Kouryuu has a male Robot voice. :confused:

Hang on, maybe it went like this (asuming it's the player model)
Cathode with voice on Robot, not defualt, and when KouRyuu was selected, it forgot to swap the female robot voice for male. If it was a bot KouRyuu, then I've explained what to do in a earlier post.