New mutator to protect spawns?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Bushwack said:
still wont stop them from camping you with thier firearms in your spawn, but not a bad idea LK.
Oh paaalease. Most maps don't have a direct LOS to the spawn area, so that can't actually happen. Pankisi is the only new official map I can think of that allows attackers to look directly into the whole spawn area.

Making nades into duds sounds good to me :tup: Make sure to allow smoke though.

Last edited:

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
keihaswarrior said:
Oh paaalease. Most maps don't have a direct LOS to the spawn area, so that can't actually happen. Pankisi is the only new official map I can think of that allows attackers to look directly into the whole spawn area.

Neater might be to make nades stay live, but bounce off the outside of the sniper actor radius (thus teaching the thrower a lesson), but I suspect this isn't very easy/realistic.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Fat Marrow said:
Neater might be to make nades stay live, but bounce off the outside of the sniper actor radius (thus teaching the thrower a lesson), but I suspect this isn't very easy/realistic.
It is possible to get inside the sniper radius ;) How will they bounce back then? I think dud nades inside might work.

The only really big problem I see with dud nades is that some of the large sniper actors cover the extraction. It would really suck to throw/shoot a perfect nade at the CD carrier only to have it be a dud :(

Maps that it shouldn't be used on would be: Iraq, Island, Chemicalthreat, Chita46, RtK.

Excelsiore

Binary Liberation Front
Mar 23, 2001
Sweden
www.geocities.com
On both Skopje and Arab Outpost the defender spawns and objectives are placed in such a way that eliminating all spawncamping of the defender spawns is basically impossible. But I'm not complaining about it, I think it's part of the game.

On the other hand on both Skopje and Arab Outpost I've seen alot of spawncamping of the attacker spawns that is irritating. Whole defender teams, sitting right on the edge of the sniper actor, firing directly into the attacker spawn. That's not really defending in my opinion.

Anyway, like I said, spawncamping doesn't really bother me that much. What ruins the game more for me is not being able to destroy doors with nades and/or gunfire. :mad: ;)

BTW Beppo, you guys did a really good job of testing and made one helluva game. We still like to complain though. :D

Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I only experienced spawncamping a few times, so I do not see a big problem in it, but when it happened it was not funny, having nearly no chance - you can not leave half of the team behind to secure the spawn - destroys a game.
So I also hope that there will be a mutator and combined with another mutator you can activate this "antispawncamp"-mutator only for special maps.
I did not read the whole thread so forgive me the question if it has been answered before: Is there a way against spawnnading, I mean a way with a mutator?

As I rememerber correctly you were able to destroy doors with the Keeks' code, which was released with the map WAT, but I am not sure, if this works with 2.9, somone said (before the release) that it wouldn't.

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
Excelsiore said:
Anyway, like I said, spawncamping doesn't really bother me that much. What ruins the game more for me is not being able to destroy doors with nades and/or gunfire. :mad: ;)

That would have to be under the control of the mapper - not all movers are doors which can/should be opened...

That said, it would be nice to have a mover door class which did this automatically (could also fix the UT replication bug which makes rotating doors not work very well). Maybe I'll look into doing that for my next map (in progress).

ninjin

The Franco-Japanese Carrot
Feb 24, 2001
Dalhousie Univ., NS, Canada
i think its also a problem of mentality. Defenders do not attack, they have an objective to secure and guard, but i have seen on too many maps the defenders camping and ambushing enemy spawn exits that leave the attackers no chance to even *try* to attack.

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
keihaswarrior said:

actually, for someone who knows EXACTLY where to camp the spawns, they all are reachable with weapons fire...but then again, just keep insulting my word, im sure im just making it all up for attention :rolleyes:

grow up..

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Or, how about this: everyone quit whining, and get over it. Spawncamping happens. If you lost control of your spawn, it is your fault. I'll repeat it, since it's important. Spawncamping happens. If you lost control of your spawn, it is your fault. No one says you all have to run off. If it's a map, or perhaps in real life, where the extraction point is vulnerable, you should leave a soldier or two there to protect it, period. Just because it isn't done on the pubs, doesn't mean it's not a smart thing to do.

Sometimes mutators can't solve everything. This isn't the only game in which this kind of thing happens...but this thread has had some of the most whining I've seen per capita of players. The sniper actor gives you a partial protection, but it isn't perfect. Humans are the only thing that can 100% protect an important place, and you should. If you're getting spawncamped, Learn better anti-spawncamping techniques. Like I said before, even real soldiers have to deal with that situation, and they get through it. If you're getting spawncamped, it's because your team messed up. Get over it.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Spawncamping is officially declared regular. Now we have to deal with it with you current weapons.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Now tell me how to protect a spawn against spawnading, e.g. with a HK69, a bit hard, don't you think?
There has to be a line what is ok and what not, because tks would be ok with your explanation as well, in reality are also spys, so why should not a spy kill your team?
So why should it not be ok, to use map bugs, in reality you can climb on this or that ... so why should you not do it in the game if it is a "bug"?
You could even explain BSP-Errors with your idea, sometimes you just have a heartattack. :D

I know that you should also defend your spawn, but look it is not funny if you are the only one on public servers defending the base and maybe not seeing an enemy the whole game.

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
myself said:
That is why i think a very simple (without useless "eye candies" feature) mutator that can give you during 2/3 sec (according to the wish of the server admin) some kind of invincibility at spawn , giving you enough time to move out the line of sight of a spawn camper without having time to use this invicibility to abuse other players yourself (i think especially about skopje map there , perfect example where the defender spawn zone can be abused , and has already been abused)

simple , -viable- , already tested on other games where spawn camping was a national sport and gave you the possibility to terminate a spawn camper (delta force serie).

But if spawn camping is accepted now in some INF 2.9 servers, bah ... i will just play another game if my favorites ones accept this too.
that's all for my opinion on that matters, i'm out to play fairly and i hope to not be one of the few like this but be from the majority of INF players.

Defend your spawn

I've been accused of spawncamping on many occasions. If you don't like being pinned down at your spawn, defend it better. That being said, there are several maps where the spawn points are just badly thought out.

A good example of this is City Block. You can prone behind the semi, just across from the spawn exit and whack the opposing team as they leave. Now, I love doing this... I can't tell you how much satisfaction I get from killing the enemy this way... it's probably as satisfying for me as it is frustrating for them. If you don't like it, no problem, you can kill me with your gun before I get you with mine. It's happened loads of times.

However, I will certainly grant that Defender spawn on that map is not well thought out. There are other points on that map (on top of one of the buildings for example) were you can rain fire on newly spawned players. In fact, you can probably be more effective in that position since you have a better view of the parking garage ramp. Optimally, another way out of the spawn would be better, But, at some point you are going to come into view and get shot at.

As for killing players the instant they spawn... in RL not all ingress points are secure. If it the problem is bad enough that the spawn cannot be defended or no players can make it out, then the map should be considered faulty and fixed.

Doc

Midwinter

sneaky bastard
Oct 15, 2000
Valencia, Spain
Visit site
Anyway, I agree with ninjin, it's a question of mentality. I for one refuse to "defend" the enemy spawn exit, and prefer to be near the objective I am supposed to be defending.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Yes "A City Block" is a good example, you can completely cut off the spawn. Just place one into the garagage, another, or better two on the house facing the spawn house (on the big street, where you have to move up).
What happens?
6 vs. 6
Three attackers spawncamp, the others try to kill the rest of the defenders on the map, as an attacker you have the advantage to move in a group while you have to watch many places as a defender, so it is more likely that these three guys are fighting against less people at once.

But at all I think that you still have a fair chance in "A City Block", there it was never frustrating for me, because I accepted it that it was my fault not taking the path through the garage or of not using smoke, I think the same with A Chemical Threat, I think it is your fault if you do not take the southern storage, the map is meant to be "unfair", so that you HAVE to take the southernstorage, this way the defenders gain a bit time and can kill a few enemies. The funniest thing is that I am nearly the only one who is (always) running to the southern storage to capture it, only sometimes (if I have nobody told that I am taking it in fact) another teammate is coming to capture it.
I think there are just many problems, which strengthen each other.
For most people their live is not important, also for me my live was more important in 2.86. So why should you defend your spawn, if your live "does not care"? Another point is that too less people are running for the Objectives, I played A City Block very often (one of my favorite maps :) ) and sometimes only two attackers try to get the cd, and are left alone if they have it, asking for help does not help. It is the mentality we have to change, but can we change the mentality fast, without losing people on the servers?
Can we enforce that people use smoke, instead of running blind into heavily Minimi fire? This happened to me on Sabriyah. I played in the defender team and lied prone to cover the path on the right of the defender's spawn, but some of the enemy allways tried it this way. They did not get it that it is nearly impossible to come through, they even used smoke (I fired into the smoke :D ) after a long time they tried to nade me, but everything was without use, so ONE single person kept away around three people and killed them several times. In fact I was killed later because I ran out of ammo :D
As an attacker it is really frustrating, if you are the only one who uses smoke to "hide" the spawn and who cares for the spawn. The people are just running and running (like Forrest Gump), without thinking. And I think this is the biggest problem.
I accept it, if someone kills me with a gun on this map, I would not accpet it, if someone is using a HK69 to kill people in the spawn from a great distance.
Most people play to have fun, simply and fast, like you do in a singleplayer game, just against men.

And that is the biggest problem, they do not play for and with the team, there'd not be any problem with spawncamping, if there'd be teamplay, but you know that this is impossible, to have teamplay on public servers (I can only say the teamplay on AFA2 with RAV2 was genious :) ). Ok, sometimes you have it, but most time you won't have it. To keep them playing inf there should be a mutator and that does not mean that every server is using it.
They will learn to play INF with the team, I know it, because even after playing one and a half years 2.86 I learned something new, every match was somehow different, a never ending learn curve.

Ok, it is longer and the sense is smaller as it should have been. :lol:

Last edited:

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Mucus said:
However, I will certainly grant that Defender spawn on that map is not well thought out. There are other points on that map (on top of one of the buildings for example) were you can rain fire on newly spawned players. In fact, you can probably be more effective in that position since you have a better view of the parking garage ramp. Optimally, another way out of the spawn would be better, But, at some point you are going to come into view and get shot at.
Actually, there are a variety of ways for defenders to leave thier spawn in this map, including an underground path directly into the CD building.
Calling the map poorly thought out doesn't apply in this case. :p

yurch said:
Actually, there are a variety of ways for defenders to leave thier spawn in this map, including an underground path directly into the CD building.
Calling the map poorly thought out doesn't apply in this case. :p

In that case I don't feel so bad about killing defenders as they come out of the house. Not that I felt particularly bad to begin with :lol:

I didn't realise there was an underground path to the cd building on that map. Dang, I should explore more!

Doc

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
Well spawncamping isn't the nicest thing to do and on publics it can suck big time if your team was not securing your spawn or someone from the enemy team flanked and moved in. If a player wants to get close to the enemy spawn or wants to climb on this or that hill or roof then he normally can do this without too much opposing forces showing up on pubs normally. Pubs play is different from clan or league matches of course and so you cannot really try to tell someone that just wants to 'relax' a bit to sit at the spawn, trying to protect it. In addition the team sizes differ and can be quite small sometimes. So you need all men to fight for the objectives. One man then going to spwncamp a bit can ruin the whole experience then cause it is pretty obvious that you will die once or two times (if not even more) and with an increased WaveTimer for example you can give these folks valuable time to set themselves up close to your spawn.
So, in many situations you can try as hard as you want but you will not be able to secure your spawn area AND fight for the mission at the same time.

Sure some tend to 'whine' or complain a bit too soon and maybe even too often on the pubs but some players do ask for these reactions cause all they do is trying to reach the enemies spawn to then spawncamp/kill leaving the objectives where they are and ignoring the mission fully. Again, with the correct mix of wave delay and team sizes they will run into opened doors all the time.

I'm not saying that taking tactical positions near to the enemies spawn is bad... I only do not like the 'really no chance' spots that can kill you directly within the first second you spawned and those that allow nading the whole area.
Games have to be played in a more or less fair way to actually be fun for all that play. And I cannot see how something can satisfy you if all you do is showing unfairness.
Mucus, that's not geared towards you cause the spots you described in ACB are avoidable (ie, attackers, do not leave the side door open!) and so giving you a fair chance to get out there - even if tough sometimes.

And to state two examples again where fairness should and most times won while I was playing on pubs is ie.
Skopje: tent spawncamping where players fire into the tents directly
All Maps: nade spamming throwing or firing nade after nade into the spawn area blindly - without seeing the spawning players at all (that is a difference)

well to reply to some comments...

@Lord_Kee, not a bad idea to render nades useless if they get into a sniper actor radius. And the prob KW sees isn't really there if the nade is checked exactly like a player would... means only the firing radius is used and the nade is only rendered useless if the sniper actor can see it.
So, this would be 'ok' to stop the pure spawnkilling nades quite good. BUT sniper actors are not needed within the spawn areas in many maps. Only the entrances are covered to not let tresspassers get in. But a nade can be thrown over roofs, thru windows or over a building. Means if someone checks out the maps a bit more closely he can find some spots that will still allow this 'tactic'. But these should be rare and to hit the exact spots is not that easy and way harder than before then.
So, make 40mms and M67s duds if they 'can be shot at' from a sniper actor...
But as KW already said... some maps will not allow this to work cause you have to allow 40mms and M67s to get past these sniper actors to allow the enemy to kill own-spawn snipers/backups/supporters aso. ie Iraks attacker forward post roofs, Skopje area near and behind tents (not within), Tuscany and Island forward attacker spawn areas protected by choppers, Chitas chopper area ... aso aso.
So, overall a very nice idea... but not useable for a bunch of maps unfortunately.

@Excelsiore, destroying doors with nades or by gunfire can be done. Mappers 'just' have to implement it. (INF features some movers that should allow such things a bit more easy)

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Spawncamping by nading the enemy spawn will NOT be tolerated on GD. You WILL be booted after a warning. Shooting someone while walking by there spawn if they are active will be acceptable. ONLY if you are intentionally standing by the enemy spawn and killing people as they appear will this not be acceptable. It is different on a map to map basis but nading of spawns will NEVER be tolerated.

Da_Blade

Da sharpest man around!
Jan 29, 2002
The Netherlands
www.dablade.nl
I have to agree with NTKB here. Nading is bad, because with nades you can reach the actual spawn points. As for getting shot while leaving spawn area; hey, bad luck. There's a firefight somewhere in between the objective and the spawn, so it might as well be the spawn exit.