CD ROM can't read UT Disc 1???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

kraftwerk

Dec 15, 1999
Visit site
Help! I just opened my UT and installed it (which went fine...), but when i tried to play, my CD ROM would just spin up, stop, spin up, stop, spin up... See a pattern? /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif After a few minutes of this I gave up and rebooted just to try again. Still nothing. I tried putting the disc in my burner, and it played JUST FINE. It took a few seconds for whatever cd check there was, but it worked.

Has anyone else had this problem? My CD ROM is a 12/24x panasonic IDE that's 2 years old. I haven't tried disc 2 yet, that's next after I get home from work. (And no, I'm not using a copy of the UT disc. It's 100% legal.)

blindrocket

Dec 11, 1999
welcome.to
I really havent heard of that Problem before. I believe you, but when I first started to read your post, it sure sounded like a burn. BUT, since its not...I dunno. Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

sorry for not being too helpful.

bullet2.gif

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

blindrocket

kraftwerk

Dec 15, 1999
Visit site
Oddly enough, I just got an e-mail from my brother-in-law who has the same problem, but only occasionally. Just out of curiosity I tried to burn a copy, but Adaptec EZ CD said my CD-ROM couldn't determine the type of one or more tracks. I definitely think it's a problem with my ROM. Perhaps there's some sort of copy protection that my CD ROM is having difficulty with. Damn strange, whatever it is.

I guess I'm just going to have to do a full install and pop the CD in my CD-RW to play. It's a 2x/2x/6x, and I hate having to wait forever for the game to read. (After I put the game back in the box for a week and a half. I wasn't supposed to open it until Christmas. I'm a baaaaaaaaaaad boy!) /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Krafty

[This message has been edited by kraftwerk (edited 12-15-1999).]

IceStorm

Nov 24, 1999
Unreal Tournament uses SafeDisc protection. According to the information that came with my copy of Half-Life: Opposing Force (another game that uses SafeDisc protection), certain CD-ROM and burners are NOT compatible with this form of protection - UT does not include this information on the box or inside the box.

SafeDisc protection is NOT foolproof. I have sucessfully backed up UT using some very specific, inexpensive hardware/software (Toshiba SD-M1212 DVD-ROM drive, Mitsumi CR-4802TE burner, and CloneCD), and it runs fine on all of my CD-ROM drives (protection intact).

Until developers learn that protection doesn't work, we'll have to live with this annoyance.

And yes, I own the game. Pre-ordered and got the t-shirt, too. :)

kraftwerk

Dec 15, 1999
Visit site
Dammit! Obviously that is my problem. I don't have the Half-Life add-on, so I can't comfirm this, but it's got to be the problem. I'm in the midst of a search for any possible firmware upgrades to my CD ROM, but I doubt that will help. I guess I'm stuck playing it with my slow burner. Dammit dammit dammit! :<

Krafty