Forgot about shadows?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
Unreal 1 had a patch for Creative Labs video card users that allowed the game to have realistic shadows using the stencil buffer.

Why the hell doesn't Unreal Tournament natively support stencil shadows!? For such a great engine, it sure is lacking. I hope this will come in a later patch, but I doubt it.

If there is a magical command that enables this in the ini files or whatever, let me know.

BloodKnight

Nov 30, 1999
Canada!
www.utclanuniverse.com
Personally I don't really see the point of shadows, buts that just me /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

- BloodKnight
bloodknight@somethingawful.com
bloodknight@yesic.com
bloodknight@ogl.org

ICQ - 12368747
UT Clan Universe - http://www.unreality.org/universe
OGL UT Admin - http://www.ogl.org

Computers is a lot like Air Conditioners, once Windows opens up, your screwed!
ngUID: 17391

HWAS

Dec 26, 1999
Carnegie, PA USA
members.tripod.com
I was wondering the same thing. Half-Life even has shadows, why doesn't UT have them? Although I don't want to see them if they are the crappy shadows from Tribes, they just look too unrealistic because they hover above the ground. The Unreal engine is way better than the Tribes engine though, IMO.

bullet2.gif

"¡Te jodes, eres mierda!"

ThrasherX9

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
you would think it would have descent shadows huh. With the unreal engine supporting great light effects, graphics, ect... i wonder why they didnt make stencil shadows....

bullet2.gif

**"Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car."-Evan Davis

**"Women need a reason to have sex - men just need a place." - Billy Crystal.

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
No crap, shadows are awsome and I think they help put the whole scene into better perspective.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Unreal did support stencil shadows. The code is still in UT, I beleive, but it has been turned off because of the severe performance hit. Some of the advantages of active shadowing would be that you could see an enemy's shadow around a corner. Lighting would become a whole new factor!

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

ThrasherX9

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
yeah, with the great lighting UT has, it would have a cool affect on shawdows, but most likley drop the framerate instantly.

bullet2.gif

**"Someday we'll look back on this moment and plow into a parked car."-Evan Davis

**"Women need a reason to have sex - men just need a place." - Billy Crystal.