Mars Rover Curiosity Landing, Next 24 Hours

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
ed1.jpg

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
I can imagine that if Mars was ever to be populated, these rovers would stay where they are, a museum build upon them with a glass sphere surrounding them at the location where they stopped, with NASA panels explaining "...back in 2012 this rover....."

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
A paradigm shift of sorts? Might be when the thing takes core samples and finds microbial life on Mars? Or water, perhaps?

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Curiosity found another rover unknown to NASA. The rover was completely identical to Curiosity, but covered in dust and half burried in sand. Seconds after finding it, connection was lost.

Dun dun duuun

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I have a strange feeling that, soon, Curiosity will find something that will change the way we think, live and act.

It is kinda scary to think there could be a breakthrough any day now.
Absolute confirmation that there can be life on other worlds and that the earth isn't unique.
I just wonder what effects that kind of discovery will have.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
confirmation that there can be life on other worlds and that the earth isn't unique.
lol.
seriously??

if you don't think that there can be life on other worlds you're fooling yourself.
Earth is not special. humans are not special.

it's not like we're made of anything special.
we are arranged from the simplest and most abundant elements in the universe. the Earth is only unique in our solar system; it's not even unique in our galaxy, let alone our star cluster or the rest of space.

a rudimentary understanding of biology and astronomy should lead anyone to realize that complex life is not unique or rare in spite of the fact that we haven't found it anywhere else. especially when "anywhere else" accounts for barely 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the known universe.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I was thinking more along the lines of our own history. What if we somehow lost all memory of ever coming from Mars but found evidence that we did. Or how about that we were an experiment that outlived our inventors that once lived on Mars.

I love far fetched theories. I sometimes wonder why I'm not religious.