Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [DARGONS EDITION]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I used to get missing textures after some hours followed by a random CTD every time. Not since I'm using the Skyrim4GB launcher though. It should be an official patch.

Next thing that should be corrected is the bug where if you press Shift while initiating dialogue you are stuck in walk mode after and have to restart the game to fix it. I like walking next to people telling me stuff instead of running off in the distance or run.stop.run.stop.run.stop but if they suddenly turn around to open a dialogue tree I don't like it very much :/

To the above: no, not as often as Oblivion. But similar things still happen. Also if you set things down for the first time in your house, they'll fly everywhere the next time you come in. Set them down a second time and they stick. Finally, plate physics are messed up, food never stays on them for me.

Last edited:
I don't suppose anyone else has embarked on the quest to get those three amulet fragments (Garthul or Garfield, whichever its called)? I've located two of the three pieces and have tracked the last one down by the dungeon near Winterhold. Unfortunately I need a key and for the life of me I can't find any leads from any NPCs or on the quest specs. I sure hope I didn't miss something in one of the earlier dungeons.

On a related note, there's quite a lot of quests with inventory you can't move once acquired. I've kinda quested myself into a weight handicap with like 25-30 pounds worth of stuff I can't do anything with until I finish them :)

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
You have to go to the College of Winterhold. The quest to unlock Saarthal is given there. It's stupid but there you go. I had to use console commands to complete it because I thought it was bugged too.
You get the quest relatively early in the College story so it won't be too long.

About your second comment, same here. These unknown gems you get, they are .5 each and you need to collect all 24 before you can do something with them. I also have a dragon priest dagger which is a quest item for five pounds, and another different gem for .5. I might have other stuff too.

In addition to the ones you mentioned I also have some books I can't do anything with except haul around and various other misc items and jewelery. I sort of wish they made all quest items weightless. Fallout 3/New Vegas had a habit of doing this as well, only I do recall some items from those games being ridiculously heavy (10 pounds or more). Nothing that bad so far in my possession yet, it's just that I have a lot of crap stuck with me and I'm already a hoarder who likes two-handed weapons and heavy armor :/

Thanks for the tip about that one quest though. I'm playing with a generally weak magic user (restoration and shouts mostly for powers) and haven't hit the Mage College yet. Now I have a good reason to do so and I'm in the area :tup:

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I'm a bit angry at Skyrim right now as I have stumbled on one of the more major bugs. The Windhelm house has become unobtainable to me (even using console commands) due to a glitch in the trigger for the Blood On The Ice quest, which must be completed before the house can be purchased and used. More on this can be found in the bugs sections on the following wiki pages.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Hjerim#Bugs

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_on_the_Ice#Bugs

I'm pretty pissed about this as it's supposedly the best house in terms of storage and displays. Note that there is a list of console commands to bypass the quest and cheat in ownership of the house and it's decorations, but those don't seem to work for me. Something is seriously wrong here.

My question is: if I pick something up off of a table, does it make everything else hover an inch above?

Yeah, that still happens. It's very annoying.

They originally said it was gamebryo with some heavy changes. Then their story went to "a completely new engine." It's pretty clear it's a nicely overhauled version of gamebryo and they just call it completely new.

Yeah. Gamebryo is no longer developed so it makes no sense for them to keep calling it Gamebryo.

It's probably just a new rendering engine, for all teh pretty shaders and stuff they wanted to do. The core Gamebryo engine framework is probably still all there.

Everything makes sense now, thanks.

Also, the engine seems more stable than in Fallout 3/New Vegas, less crashprone, actually, I've yet to crash. *knocks on wood*

I've had one or two crashes and a lot of 'stick' glitches where the player character got stuck and I had to Alt+F4 then reload a save to fix it. It's not all that stable. I can't recall ever having a crash with Fallout 3 or New Vegas, and that's even with mods and the script extenders running.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
For me the longer I play Fallout 3 or New Vegas, the crash-happier it gets, and by longer I mean the time I have spent in total playing a character.

Probably why Skyrim hasn't crashed for me is because I have a habit of enabling the "app can handle > 2GB" flag for new games. Easiest thing to do in the world, even though game developers should just make a 64 bit exe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I haven't had crashing problems with New Vegas but Fallout 3 crashed like nobody's business. I've played New Vegas for hours before with no consequence. Fallout 3, on the other hand, crashed sometimes after 5 minutes of playing. Skyrim has only crashed once for me so far.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
I had loads of errorless and seemingly random CTDs. LAA seems to have stabilized the game, but now my framerate changes from solid 60 to low 20s or worse depending on what I'm looking at. Like I'm at Berethors and looking in the same direction he's looking I get 60 frames, but looking him in the face I get 17... Not sure what's preferable: horrible framerate dips but no crashes or the occasional CTD at the most inopportune moments but stable performance...

Twice now my trees have turned purple. It looked like the game somehow used normal maps as diffuse, but it went away after a reload so no biggie.

Once a dragon wouldn't burn up so I couldn't collect its soul, and I suspect the Solitude "Talk to a woman so she goes to the temple of Talos again" is broken now, because I talked to her, gave her what she asked for, except I still have it, I can't talk to her about it anymore and the quest isn't solved.

Other than those I haven't had any game breaking bugs. I hope I can fix the performance/CTD problem, because I didn't have either problem when I started out in Skyrim. Could it have something to do with my savegame becoming too big? Wouldn't be the first time this caused problems in role-playing games.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's a pretty good arrangement there. I found some retard wandering out fighting wolves that was singing that.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
It may be of no use to anyone but whatever.

Extract all musics (and sounds) of the game:

You will need BSA Unpacker and xWMA to WAV Converter [Reference] (Requires .NET Framework 3.5)

Open file Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Skyrim - Sounds.bsa in BSA Unpacker. You will get a version number error, but open anyways; it will work.
Click the Sort button to sort the files according to the path.
Select all the files you want to extract and click the extract button. Shift clicking the first music file in the list and then the last one in the list will select all of the music files if you used the sort button. Choose a file path for the extraction. Music only requires about 95MB of disc space, music and sounds require 920MB.

All the music files have the .xwm file extension. This can play in VLC but it will play very badly (Won't work in anything else), so you need to convert them. I believe according to this there is a FFmpeg decoder available, but I'm not sure about that or how it works. Since I don't have these installed with MPC, I do not know if MPC can play these .xwm files fine with FFmpeg codecs installed.

First, rename all of the .xwm extensions to .wav. It still won't work correctly in VLC after that though.
Use the .xWMA converter. Specify one of the renamed files in the input, and then specify an output file path and name in the output field as well. Click the convert button.
Now you should have a much larger .wav file than the .xwm file you started with, and that .wav file will play fine in VLC and other media players as well. You can then convert into whatever you like from that.

Or you can download an unofficial OST/pirate the official one. Whichever you like.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
It may be of no use to anyone but whatever.

Extract all musics (and sounds) of the game:

You will need BSA Unpacker and xWMA to WAV Converter [Reference] (Requires .NET Framework 3.5)

Open file Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Skyrim - Sounds.bsa in BSA Unpacker. You will get a version number error, but open anyways; it will work.
Click the Sort button to sort the files according to the path.
Select all the files you want to extract and click the extract button. Shift clicking the first music file in the list and then the last one in the list will select all of the music files if you used the sort button. Choose a file path for the extraction. Music only requires about 95MB of disc space, music and sounds require 920MB.

All the music files have the .xwm file extension. This can play in VLC but it will play very badly (Won't work in anything else), so you need to convert them. I believe according to this there is a FFmpeg decoder available, but I'm not sure about that or how it works. Since I don't have these installed with MPC, I do not know if MPC can play these .xwm files fine with FFmpeg codecs installed.

First, rename all of the .xwm extensions to .wav. It still won't work correctly in VLC after that though.
Use the .xWMA converter. Specify one of the renamed files in the input, and then specify an output file path and name in the output field as well. Click the convert button.
Now you should have a much larger .wav file than the .xwm file you started with, and that .wav file will play fine in VLC and other media players as well. You can then convert into whatever you like from that.

Or you can download an unofficial OST/pirate the official one. Whichever you like.
This won't work if you want the sounds of the game but if you want the music, go to www.grooveshark.com

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal

Attachments

• npc_icewraith_attack_02.wav
    156.2 KB · Views: 5
  • amb_darkbrotherhooddoor_lp.wav
    486 KB · Views: 4
  • ambr_templeofkynareth_chimes_01.wav
    597.7 KB · Views: 3
  • mag_shout_sprint_fire.wav
    454.2 KB · Views: 7

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Skyrim patch 1.2 is out, but according to 90% of the internet it doesn't really fix anything and actually adds new bugs. Google before upgrading.
It makes it so you can press ESC in the menus to go back. How is that not fixing anything?!?!!!!?!????@1

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Are dragons flying backwards in the PC version? Is resistance bugged (Bosmer here so that'd be kind of a bummer)?
If neither of those happen I'm gonna live with whatever else comes up.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Are dragons flying backwards in the PC version?

Not sure.

Is resistance bugged (Bosmer here so that'd be kind of a bummer)?

As I understand it, yes, resistances for every race are now bugged on all three platforms. But that's just what I read on a few sites; the intel could always be bad. I rolled a Bosmer too, so I feel your pain.

In any case, current speculation is that they didn't actually fix any of the existing bugs (despite what the changelog says) so I'm not going to upgrade until the next patch.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Skyrim patch 1.2 is out, but according to 90% of the internet it doesn't really fix anything and actually adds new bugs. Google before upgrading.
Actually, Xbox users don't really have too much of a choice. If they're connected to live when they start the game, they will be forced to update. The only way to clear it out would be to clear the system cache which means ALL updates for ALL of your games will be erased.