Epic Pres: PC A Primary Platform Again

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ga...ing-Gears-of-War-Unreal-Tournament,13235.html

So because Bulletstorm bombed hard and Capps is afraid of the mobile market, he thinks going back to PC will rake in the money? This fool be stupid yo. Also this comment

Everyone knows the middle class is disappearing from the console business," he admitted to the audience. "Gears of War I hope will do really well, but a pretty good game doesn't make its money back any more. A game like Homefront sells a couple of million copies and they close the studio, right?"

Is it just me or does that comment about the middle class really say "Hey rich people only buy PC's so therefore rich people will buy our shitty games"?

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I need to see it happen to believe it.

My thoughts exactly.

More "Studio that brought you Infinity Blade" (regular patches/free content updates) and less "Studio that brought you Gears of War" (minimal patches/paid DLC) please.

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
There's indication that Epic may be setting its sights on smaller titles that would appear on Steam, the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade.
I'm a bit worried about this.

however, I'm hoping to see it like this : if each game doesn't NEED to be a blockbuster, hopefully they will have some *GASP* INNOVATION going on ! that's how portal started.

I'm waiting for it, EPIC ! Best of luck !

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I'm a bit worried about this.

Why?

Focusing on downloadable titles is exactly where Epic should be heading right now. At least in terms of the next UT.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that you can't produce a profitable $60 AAA shooter game these days unless you have "Call" and "Duty" in the title.

Meanwhile, smaller $15 downloadable titles are eating the lunch of $60 games which sit on store shelves for weeks until their developers close up shop.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
My thoughts exactly.

More "Studio that brought you Infinity Blade" (regular patches/free content updates) and less "Studio that brought you Gears of War" (minimal patches/paid DLC) please.
Actually I'd rather see "Studio that brought you UT/UT2004" (regular patches, huge-ass free content update, map editor)

The last game released recently that I can even remember touting an editor was Crysis 2

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Crysis 2 didn't have an editor on-release. I think it only got it later.
I want a UT3 fix and an updated version of Bulletstorm (sequel please) on PC with editor and such but EA won't allow any additional shit with the latter

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm not surprised by this. Think about how much money a Steam version of Shadow Complex would make (read: millions) and you have your answer. That game isn't massive budget like Gears or Bulletstorm and it made a killing on one platform as a download only title.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Ahhh, so it sucks to not be the in thing with all the console kiddies? GG, and thanks for making a new ut3, only finishing it this time.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Is it just me or does that comment about the middle class really say "Hey rich people only buy PC's so therefore rich people will buy our shitty games"?

Middle class of developers. He said "disappearing from the console business." Seems like he is saying that you either make ridiculously expensive games that make a shit load of money to be successful or you make cheap games that sell a lot to be successful. There's very little middle of the road success stories. "AAA" titles cost a lot of money to make.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
An article on Tom's Hardware (thanks StaFForD) details a presentation today at Gamescom by Epic Games President, Mike Capps. During the talk he reveals that the company is currently working on five non-Gears titles and that the PC is once again the target of their affection.

"Everyone knows the middle class is disappearing from the console business," he admitted to the audience. "Gears of War I hope will do really well, but a pretty good game doesn't make its money back any more. A game like Homefront sells a couple of million copies and they close the studio, right?"

That's just not enough anymore, he admits, and it's pretty depressing. "You don't want to see what happens to an industry where it's Call of Duty, Halo and Gears and no-one else has enough money to make any games any more," he added. "That's not a fun industry. I can't bet my entire company every time I make a game. That's a really dangerous business."

With the console era seemingly coming to a close, where does that leave Epic? Returning to its PC-based roots. "It's nice to target the PC as a primary platform again," teased Capps, "not just for ports."

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Well, I've lost most of the trust I had for Epic with UT3. I'll probably not buy into any hype before I actually see a released, PC-oriented title from them.

Though I'll probably buy any game that has 'Unreal' in it's title. I'm kind of a sucker that way.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
An article on Tom's Hardware (thanks StaFForD) details a presentation today at Gamescom by Epic Games President, Mike Capps. During the talk he reveals that the company is currently working on five non-Gears titles and that the PC is once again the target of their affection.

*Ahem* Is Stafford my pet name?

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
The entire game market needs to crash and burn again like it did in the 70's. We need another game Renaissance. I'm sick of studios crapping out sequels to play it safe. There's also a reason phone games are growing in popularity fast. You don't need 8 buttons to have fun. Simple and engaging games always win.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The entire game market needs to crash and burn again like it did in the 70's. We need another game Renaissance. I'm sick of studios crapping out sequels to play it safe. There's also a reason phone games are growing in popularity fast. You don't need 8 buttons to have fun. Simple and engaging games always win.

Actually I said this about a week or so ago. Let the industry crash and perhaps it will give the studios time to re-think some of the stupid decisions that have been made. Examples are the DLC fad, yearly franchises that are done to death, and just general overpricing of games that are shorter than a full length feature film.