Portal 2 Invades The Ball, Killing Floor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
I was wondering, at what point did the first unreal had portal support? Did it have it since it's inception around 1995? I'm wondering what the first engine was to have them. Unreal is the earliest I can find.

If you want to include 2.5D Engines ... Build (Duke NUkem 3D, Shadow Warrior, etc...) had them. Or were you strictly talking about Unreal and/or full 3D Engines?

But in all those Engines (Unreal included) it was more like teleporting (while keeping momentum though) and a (seamless) view to the target area. You weren't half here, half there.

Last edited:

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Descent had portals in 1995 or so. Unreal had to have had some kind of portals from the very beginning because it was a gameplay element originally.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Descent had portals in 1995 or so. Unreal had to have had some kind of portals from the very beginning because it was a gameplay element originally.

PCGamer had an excellent article up last week on the games that influenced Portal/Portal 2. Definitely worth reading / reminiscing.

Additional maps or campaigns will most likely be free. :)

On PC :p.

With having only seen the little bits of news, this sounds a lot like the TF2 store. Hopefully most everything is unlockable in-game somehow...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It is virtually identical to the TF2 store. The dumb thing is the gestures. How hard is it to make those animations? Are they seriously saying that Portal 2 did not make enough money for them to be free?

I really hope they are planning to infuse the co-op with boatloads of content, because, while fun, the levels will get boring after a while and there will be no reason to buy their trinkets.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I really hope they are planning to infuse the co-op with boatloads of content, because, while fun, the levels will get boring after a while and there will be no reason to buy their trinkets.

They were saying prior to release they've got DLC plans and an improved pipeline for getting content to people. I think the main hold up is going to be MS as usual. Also, the mod tools aren't ready yet, so once those are out I'm sure we'll hear more.

I'm crossing my fingers for a strong map making community, but I'm not too hopeful since I don't think Portal 1 was fully embraced aside from a handful of mods. Could be wrong here.