What benefit does the M16A2 have over the M4A1?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
1:12 twist was the old A1 barrel, wasn't it Shakken? Here's an excerp taken out of the ar15.com ammunition FAQ.

"Why don’t all US military units carry M855?

The original ammo for the M16 was M193, with a 55gr copper-jacketed lead-core bullet. The rifling twist on the first M16s was 1 turn in 14 inches, or 1:14. This twist was selected simply because it was the twist rate commonly used in the .222 Remington-chambered varmint rifles that the .223 round was based on. During tests of the M16 in arctic regions, it was found that the slow 1:14 twist wasn’t fast enough to stabilize the bullet in the denser air. To correct this problem, the twist was tightened to 1:12, and all future M16s and M16A1s came with 1:12 barrels.

The M855 round, and particularly the M856 tracer round, are very long bullets, and require a faster twist rate in order to be stabilized in air. (Stabilization is a factor of caliber, velocity, and bullet length, not weight.) Firing M855 from a 1:12-twist rifle would result in an understabilized bullet that would only fly straight for about 90 yards, then veer off as much as 30° in a random direction. In order to prevent soldiers from accidentally firing M855 in 1:12-twist rifles, M855/SS-109 was given a green tip in countries that had previously issued 1:12-twist rifles and M193-spec ammo. This allows M855/SS-109 to be differentiated from plain-tipped M193. M16A2s, A3s, A4s, M4s, and M4A1s all have a 1:7 twist, and can stabilize both M855 and M193.

Military technical manuals warn against using M855 in M16A1s (or any 1:12 twist rifle) except in a “combat emergency,” and warn that it is not effective in such rifles beyond 95 yards.

See also:

http://www.povn.com/~4n6/index.htm"

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
Unless bulk is split into weight and bulk, M4 will win by a large margin... the difference in weight is almost nonexistant, but the shorter barrel and telescopic stock make for a much handier weapon, and the bulk value should reflect that.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
At the range we fight in INF, accuracy is rarely a factor... Besides, until now, every weapon are of the same accuracy when shouldered, so unless this change in 2.87+ weapon accuracy isn't an issue...

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
personally i will be happy to have an M4 for CQB, beacuse i like the M16 series' sights, but need to do at least 5 round burst to comabt those AK spammers online. I use the M16 for bigger maps though. As for effective range for M16A2 lemme go find my sister's army handbook. Thanks to it I've learned how to place and disarm a Claymore mine, which i would probably still blow myself up if i tried :)

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by hawaiian c
witch cary more bullets? m4 or m16a2 with out nade.

in INF 30 round magazine's unless they add Beta C Drumbs so that you can melt your gun's barrel...

{Ghetto_Ghepetto}

I am #1 Asian big boob queen!
Jun 4, 2001
CA
M4 = Fully automatic
M16 = Burst fire

I'm no expert at weapons, but I think this is right. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by beerbaron
Nah, in the new vesion of Godzilla (Ya know, the one that bastardized the entire franchise?) that guy from Leon pulled out a light to the Japanese dude, and he said "Gazirra....gaaaaazirra." :)

No, he said, "Gojira". Take note that the name "Godzilla" is an American made-up spelling for the name "Gojira" which is an originally Japanese made-up name of a monster. :p