UE4-Powered Fortnite: PC in 2013

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
'Free-to-play' was mentioned in an article on this elsewhere. Any word?

Last edited:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I wish the people who flipped when they heard that UE4 was "exclusively targeting the next console generation" would acknowledge now what was obvious all along... that the phrase simply meant that as far as consoles go, the current ones are too wimpy. I'm not holding my breath though. They are quite happy being betrayed.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Looks like an expansion of TF2. It can be very good though if done right.
But i had rather seen Epic use a UT4 ala QL to promote UE4 tbh.

"Area shooters are dead"
-CliffyB

And I tend to agree to a specific point. The part where I don't agree is if it's poorly made.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
All I have to say is, if Fortnite is not a Steamworks game with all the features that Steam provides, Epic is losing the plot. Here's to hoping they show us they still "get" the PC gaming community.

And if this game contains GFWL.......................................................

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I don't know about Steam/no Steam but GFWL would be the last middle finger they toss at PC gaming, lol.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Standalone client please, just like in the good old days.

Yes, please leave it as a choice.

Steam means buying boxes that can only be accessed while inside a cage. The cage has ads on the gate. The box you paid for gets shackled to the cage. The cage gate seemingly only opens some of the time should the cage be unable to communicate with its manufacturer via an Internet gateway.

The cage may eventually rust, the creators of the box may break ties with the manufacturer of this type of cage, and force your box to be moved to a different cage, leaving the contents of the box (the game state changes) back in the original cage. (That last part was based on a story told to me by someone who experienced the EA Origin thing with Steam.)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Standalone client please, just like in the good old days.
No, thanks. I want convenience, achievements, tight steam leaderboards integration, VAC, ease of inviting to and joining games, steam workshop, cloud saves, working voice chat. Any other option can, frankly, just screw off. If they try to go standalone, they won't integrate as deeply as they need to out of concern for the people who don't buy on Steam. I am honestly not interested in that at all.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic Games said:
Update: Epic’s issued a statement clarifying its meaning, noting that – while nothing’s off the table – it hasn’t entered serious talks about how it’ll implement online play at this point. Here’s the official word, in full: “We’re not talking about our plans at this time, mainly because that plan doesn’t exist yet. Fortnite is an iterative, living project and many things are still being decided prior to its release in 2013.”

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
No, thanks. I want convenience, achievements, tight steam leaderboards integration, VAC, ease of inviting to and joining games, steam workshop, cloud saves, working voice chat. Any other option can, frankly, just screw off. If they try to go standalone, they won't integrate as deeply as they need to out of concern for the people who don't buy on Steam. I am honestly not interested in that at all.

Fun times. We won't buy it if it uses Steam integration, you won't buy it if it doesn't.