Critical Reception: Dark Void

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Gamasutra details the critical reception received thus far for Capcom and Airtight Games' Unreal Engine 3-powered Dark Void. Noting the Metacritic average of 59 out of 100, they cherry-pick choice quotes from both the harshest and the most generous of reviews. Giant Bomb presents one of the more balanced opinions:

"The core elements in Dark Void are well-designed and fun to play, and it tells an interesting story while setting up a world that's developed enough to deserve a sequel," Gerstmann admits. "But with its technical problems and a lack of enemy variety, Dark Void starts to feel like the game is getting in the way of its own universe. It's worth seeing for its unique twists on third-person shooting, but you'll probably come away feeling like it could have been much more."

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
Brizz, the PC flight controls almost made me cry :(

Then again the 3rd person shooting is average, but meleeing is fun and so is vertical combat, yet nothing extremely revolutionary. Oh yeah, PhysX might rape performance :eek:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Brizz, the PC flight controls almost made me cry :(

Then again the 3rd person shooting is average, but meleeing is fun and so is vertical combat, yet nothing extremely revolutionary. Oh yeah, PhysX might rape performance :eek:
The mouse controls are extremely mushy. I've been using my 360 controller because it is unbearable.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
lol no worries, it's a control scheme that plagues the rest of Capcom's titles, I doubt Japan ever heard of mice and keyboards ;)

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Somehow I feel the overwhelming urge to scream "I told you so!". But still I'm disappointed this one's bad.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
I mean look at this, it's sexy, it's badass, it's a crab-like walking metal demon that's actually not a Decepticon and won't tell kiddie jokes like Star Wars drones to kill the momentum:

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.gamestar.hu/apix_collect/0904/dark-void/dark-void_screenshot_20091014134524_original.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Now go play the actual game which feels like a cheap plastic toy :(

I'm nerdy enough to say that it's art gone to waste every time a developer makes a half-assed product, it's a disgrace to the design. Who will save the concept artists from the brainless zombies putting together the actual "gameplay" and the testers who wouldn't care less because they are likely to be consisting of 5 year olds :p

Yup, I take this game's "PC port controls" (or rather the lack of it) as a personal insult :mad:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
It's Capcom, what you expect?

You need to program your own controls and use 3rd party programs to play most of their games.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
It's Capcom, what you expect?

You need to program your own controls and use 3rd party programs to play most of their games.

Haha, and when DMC4 ran perfectly on my rig and it was overall better than the console versions.
I hardly like Capcom nowadays; another disappointment.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
I already feel sorry for Brizz, I think BU should ditch this review, we care more about his mental health than this title :D

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
I just tried this game and holy **** are the flight controls bad. They are terrible, frustratingly terrible. Trying to play this game would be like trying to drive a car with wheels made of jello.