Barack Obama is the Antichrist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
naaah... I think the only person openly enjoying Mccain in a sexual way is iron archer... and he'S just being loyal to the party ;)

ooooh so funny. Actually, I have a hard-on for Slayer Dragon here at BUF. McCain was not my first choice, but with all the crap that keeps on seeping out on Obama, I'd take Hillary Clinton over him in a nanosecond.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
With the current political climate, on issues alone the Democrats are more in line with the public will. The overwhelming victories in the House and Senate in 2006 speak for themselves, and those margins are widely predicted—even amongst Republicans—to be padded even further after this year. Those are just facts.

Just facts? I think you are far too selective in your facts. A lot of what you have said is true, but your conclusions are completely off.

Let's start with the fact that congress's approval rating has dropped TO SINGLE DIGITS. The fact that Americans are unhappy with their government could not be overstated. However, you've made the false assumption that this means that the Democrats are more in line with the public will.

In fact Americans favor off shore drilling by a wide margin, and the issue continues to make gains. I've seen some polls claiming that 10% of correspondents have changed their minds about offshore drilling since it became an issue.

In fact it is the current Democratic congress that is standing in the way of the people's will. Nancy Pelosi refuses to allow any kind of vote on offshore drilling, and has done everything in her power to prevent the people's will from being carried out.

In fact our Democratic leaders in congress have even tried to silence dissent, and keep Americans in the dark about what's really going on in Congress. Our corrupt congress has screwed over our political system just as much if not more than Democrats claim Bush has.

I believe that up until recently we did have a campaign about the issues. All the reasons that Obama would be a bad pick for president have been stated over and over again. The problem was that nobody was listening. It wasn't until McCain started getting dirty that people started to realize who Obama really is.

I also think that it's very difficult to get anything to stick to either of these candidates. There's plenty to argue about both of these guys, and nobody cares. I hope this campaign gets dirty so that everyone knows how terrible both of these guys really are. Maybe in 2012 people will figure it out and select real leaders for the running.

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
The will of the people is a pretty awesome thing when your country is full of idiots. :D

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Just facts? I think you are far too selective in your facts. A lot of what you have said is true, but your conclusions are completely off.

Let's start with the fact that congress's approval rating has dropped TO SINGLE DIGITS. The fact that Americans are unhappy with their government could not be overstated. However, you've made the false assumption that this means that the Democrats are more in line with the public will.
At no point did I state or imply that America generally approves of its Congress; only that it prefers Democratic leadership to the alternative. That conclusion is based partly on cold hard election results: in terms of seats overtaken by an opposition party, in 2006 Democrats won 30-0 in the House, and 6-0 in the Senate. It is also based on double-digit margins favoring Democrats in every poll taken in the last twelve months that directly asked Americans which party they prefer to have control of Congress.

Those facts and conclusions are fairly irrefutable.

Last edited:

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
So which part of the government are we talking about here? The part that is elected by the dumb masses? Or the part that is made up of the dumb masses?

Well the people we elect cater to the mass stupidity to get elected. Once elected they follow their own ill-advised ideologies into their own realm of stupidity. So technically both.

Please find "SINGLE DIGITS" for me. http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm

At no point did I state or imply that America generally approves of its Congress; only that it prefers Democratic leadership to the alternative. That conclusion is based partly on cold hard election results: in terms of seats overtaken by an opposition party, in 2006 Democrats won 30-0 in the House, and 6-0 in the Senate. It is also based on double-digit margins favoring Democrats in every poll taken in the last twelve months that directly asked Americans which party they prefer to have control of Congress.

Those facts and conclusions are fairly irrefutable.

Taking a look at that website the numbers show heavily in disfavor of how congress is doing things. The single digit numbers might come from averaging out every one of those polls into one number. Last I heard congress had an 18% disapproval rating, but that was last month. That is lower than Bush's.

Lastly, I don't consider numbers from 06 to be completely relevant anymore considering how drastically the political climate has changed and the current disapproval rating for congress. At the time people were ready for anything else than republicans so the only alternative were the democrats hence why they swept the floor with elections. Once the democrats had time to do their thing people saw what they were really like, or how inactive they were, and thusly the current disapproval rating was formed. Based on the current disapproval rating I highly doubt the democrats would sweep through congress if we had another election right now.

All in all I don't think its a matter of people prefering one party over another. I think people are sick of both and want something else. Right now people are just tired and apathetic and will settle for choosing the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
ooooh so funny. Actually, I have a hard-on for Slayer Dragon here at BUF. McCain was not my first choice, but with all the crap that keeps on seeping out on Obama, I'd take Hillary Clinton over him in a nanosecond.

You fancy the hill-dog? Before I sink down to that level I'd be frenching up Mccain on the steps of the capitol, having Lincoln watch... (or am I mixing up Washington's sights?)

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
In fact Americans favor off shore drilling by a wide margin, and the issue continues to make gains. I've seen some polls claiming that 10% of correspondents have changed their minds about offshore drilling since it became an issue.

In fact it is the current Democratic congress that is standing in the way of the people's will. Nancy Pelosi refuses to allow any kind of vote on offshore drilling, and has done everything in her power to prevent the people's will from being carried out.

To which I say: THANK GOD

To paraphrase someone else (No idea where I heard this, sorry): When a crack addict complains about the high price of his drug, the solution isn't to lower the price of crack; the solution is to GET RID OF THE HABIT. Likewise, we don't need cheaper gas, we need to get the hell AWAY FROM IT. Instead of spending BILLIONS of dollars digging for oil and further padding the coffers of Exxon, we need to be investing that money in smarter, cleaner technologies.

Remember: our political system was specifically created to keep the power out of the people's hands. Sure, there are a few times when they are allowed to vote to keep the politicians in line, but for the most part they are purposely kept in the dark because they are too stupid and short-sighted to make the right choices (see: the uproar over nuclear power plants which have killed far less people and created far less environmental damage than coal does every year)

Sorry for the off topic...

~Jason

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
I'm going to juxtapose these two quotes just for laughs.

So, you agree with both those statements? ;)

TWD, that was a well-written post but your argument is still fairly weak. You only cite one issue on which the Republicans are supposedly more in-line with the American public, and fail to provide any hard evidence other than:

What polls are you talking about? What does that even mean? Polls and statistics can be tweaked and worded in a wide variety of ways so that any specific viewpoint could be presented as the correct one.

Why are we even arguing about who is more in-line with the American people, anyways? Isn't "who has more sensible ideas with respect to the problems we face today" a more valid question?

History has proven that public opinion is a fickle thing and can occasionally be dead wrong when it comes to important stuff. One of the things that Bush has taken the most flak for is his tendency to charge blindly ahead with his policies even when people start to turn against them. In fact, his unwillingness to flip-flop at the whim of the public is one of the only things I like about him as a leader and if he wasn't such a complete idiot with terrible ideas it might have resulted in getting some productive stuff accomplished.

Getting back to hal's post which I quoted, I think he makes an important point. Using a candidate's popularity as a their main selling point is a terrible line of reasoning. No wonder our elections are such a fiasco, if this is the kind of thing that people are arguing about. "Other people agree with this candidate, so you should too." Screw what other people think. What do YOU think? What issues are most important to you? What have the candidates said on those issues that you agree or disagree with? Read up, get informed, and let that information guide your vote.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Poker said:
Please find "SINGLE DIGITS" for me. http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm
Taking a look at that website the numbers show heavily in disfavor of how congress is doing things. The single digit numbers might come from averaging out every one of those polls into one number.
I removed the link so as not to veer off the main point, but since it has been quoted:

The "single digits" claim actually comes from a Rasmussen Reports survey from a month ago that asked its questions in a different manner than simply "approve/disapprove": it told respondents to rate the job that Congress was doing given choices of "excellent", "good", "fair", and "poor". Because of the semantics of the expanded set of choices, particularly the ambiguity of whether respondents interpreted "fair" to reflect positive, neutral, or negative opinion, this system does not fall neatly in line with a simple approve/disapprove rating.
2% Excellent
7% Good
36% Fair
52% Poor
2% Not sure
That is why this survey is able to report "9%" while every straight poll that measures true approval/disapproval is showing numbers in the 15-25% range.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
So, you agree with both those statements? ;)

TWD, that was a well-written post but your argument is still fairly weak. You only cite one issue on which the Republicans are supposedly more in-line with the American public, and fail to provide any hard evidence other than:

What polls are you talking about? What does that even mean? Polls and statistics can be tweaked and worded in a wide variety of ways so that any specific viewpoint could be presented as the correct one.

Why are we even arguing about who is more in-line with the American people, anyways? Isn't "who has more sensible ideas with respect to the problems we face today" a more valid question?

History has proven that public opinion is a fickle thing and can occasionally be dead wrong when it comes to important stuff. One of the things that Bush has taken the most flak for is his tendency to charge blindly ahead with his policies even when people start to turn against them. In fact, his unwillingness to flip-flop at the whim of the public is one of the only things I like about him as a leader and if he wasn't such a complete idiot with terrible ideas it might have resulted in getting some productive stuff accomplished.

Getting back to hal's post which I quoted, I think he makes an important point. Using a candidate's popularity as a their main selling point is a terrible line of reasoning. No wonder our elections are such a fiasco, if this is the kind of thing that people are arguing about. "Other people agree with this candidate, so you should too." Screw what other people think. What do YOU think? What issues are most important to you? What have the candidates said on those issues that you agree or disagree with? Read up, get informed, and let that information guide your vote.
^
What he said

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Screw what other people think. What do YOU think? What issues are most important to you? What have the candidates said on those issues that you agree or disagree with? Read up, get informed, and let that information guide your vote.
truthquote

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
To which I say: THANK GOD

To paraphrase someone else (No idea where I heard this, sorry): When a crack addict complains about the high price of his drug, the solution isn't to lower the price of crack; the solution is to GET RID OF THE HABIT. Likewise, we don't need cheaper gas, we need to get the hell AWAY FROM IT. Instead of spending BILLIONS of dollars digging for oil and further padding the coffers of Exxon, we need to be investing that money in smarter, cleaner technologies.

Yes, but even crack addicts need to be weened off of it. If you shut if off immediately you've got problems. Look at the countries infrastructure. Its built on oil. Even if they developed a fuel that can replace oil overnight it would still take years to convert the infrastructure over to something else.

To me the idea of offshore drilling means a few things.

One it means less dependency on foreign oil. Right now I consider this to be the biggest issue we need to deal with. Once we absolve ourselves from the need for oil then this problem disappears along with it. But for now we can't immediately shut it off. Instead we can make small gains by finding oil somewhere else. More oil from somewhere else, preferably from our own country, means less oil from the middle east.

Drilling for our own oil means we have more control over it.

The problem with oil will not go away instantly like many would hope. We can shout until we're blue in the face about cutting our dependency on oil and using 'alternative' fuels, but it still will not instantly go away.

So what do we do? We find ways to alleviate the problem without depending on others, IE offshore drilling in our own waters.

I agree that we should not be depending on oil and we need to find other fuels. However the best we can do is slowly pull ourselves away while cutting our dependency on others.

In the end there is no quick fix. There never will be.

Lastly, concerning oil, gas prices, and 'padding the coffers of Exxon' I direct you to this blog post. Its very right wing, but it has facts that are cited that show that the oil companies are not making as much money, IE Gross profit, as many would believe especially compared to other industries such as banking.

http://arthurshall.com/x_2008_oil.shtml

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
You only cite one issue on which the Republicans are supposedly more in-line with the American public, and fail to provide any hard evidence other than

Right now there is no other issue. Energy and the failing economy are the issues right now. I'm not saying that health care reform, immigration policy, and Iraq aren't important. Just that for now they aren't all that relevant to the elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.