UE3 - UT3 W.I.P - SP_Underground

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GrotesqueArtist

Apr 6, 2008
Hey there!

I've decided after working with hammer, radiant, and UT3 that I will use UT3 for my first ever map. I do have experiance with making maps over the last year but this is the first time to try make a full one.

This week I set out a nice little map, that is really only starting to get off the ground. It was used for me to test my lighting skills, physics objects and water etc.. Different effects to make a more atmospheric map.

I have come up with this small underground map that is coming along quite nicely, although I'm having a few problems. I've come to realize there isn't a game type for singleplayer in UT3, and because of this it may turn out that I cannot make that Horror Singleplayer map that I've always wanted too... If anyone could help me on this, please do. :)

So anyway, back to my map. As I have only started 3-4 days ago, I started by planning out my bsp, and where I was going to go from there. Then I moved onto texturing, and before I looked at adding static meshes I worried about seeing if there was enough room for the player. As I continue to make this map I will post more in this thread.

Thank you in advance for everyone who can critique my work. I also have one more question, several times I have seen the "In-Editor Game" have a weapon and hud, but when I right click the ground and press Play from here, I just get my level with no hud or weapon. Can anyone tell me why?

Thank you all!
Sythen.

EDIT: Just a small Edit, I've seemed to find a water texture that suits my map so much more. So I thought I'd post a screenshot.

Last edited by a moderator:

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
Looks very 'first map' to me! Dont lose interest in making a horror theme map because there is no singleplayer, you never have to make something and release it to the public. It is always good to practice practice practice. Try discussing with other mappers how you could create certain effects. Write your ideas down on paper when you get them and try and implement them in some way in the editor.

Another unreal editor game you could try is Thief III - It already has alot of dark horror theme assets avaliable, and the mapping community for that has created alot of interesting stuff.

Also im only guessing, but the reason you have no hud is because you havent set a game type for the level? (havent specified if it is capture the falg/deathmatch/whatever).

GrotesqueArtist

Apr 6, 2008
Thank you for the info!

I've looked into setting my gametype and I'm still not getting the hud etc.. I'll google more on that.

Yes my map is looking very newbie, like I said I've only started on it a few days ago. Thank you for the tip on ideas, and I plan on elaborating on this a whole lot more xD

I've tried Thief, and for some odd reason I never got the feel to it, Next month I'll be able to buy it and see if I can really get a feel for it.

For now, I'm off to work on more ideas for my map, and see if there's a possible gametype of singleplayer.

Thanks!
Sythen.

EDIT: I've fixed the HUD problem, I just didn't have it saved with a DM- at the start of the name.

DavoX

UT3 Mapper.
Jul 7, 2008
davoxrealms.blogspot.com
In order to play the game with a HUD and weapons, you must save the file as "DM-WHATEVER". It must start with "DM-" or whatever gameplay you want to give it, for example WAR, CTF, etc.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
SP? That would be one of the gametype, as said from above post.
Unless this is for GoW. Which isn't the case.

GrotesqueArtist

Apr 6, 2008
Hey guys!

Firstly I want to thank Kantham and DavoX for the help with the DM-mapname prefix. I finally got it workin' :D

My Thoughts:

I have decided to make this map Deathmatch, rather than attempting to make a singleplayer, because when I first set out to create this map, I only planned on building a map that I could be proud of, one that included the best ability (possible increase in ability) of my lighting techniques, and work on gameplay and Ai bot pathing.

Up ontill today, I have worked on increasing the space in each room as it was way to small. I've made hallways longer, added new rooms, and a rather large open room where there can be a few rockets fired ;) To be honest, I think I'm pretty settled in terms of lighting, if need be, I'll add more or change a few settings here an there. A perfectionist's touch.. xD. The reason why in the large area the fences are pushed together is because as this is underground, I didn't want to go over the top in futuristics (jump pads etc..) despite the fact that all the weapons have no relation to today's world.

My Work:
I have decided to upload all of my work to a tinypic account. This keeps all my images organised, and I know where to find them. All 7 images in this account as of now are my latest images (11th July 2008).

http://tinypic.com/sythen

Finally I would like to thank everyone at 3D Buzz Irc, Kakemonster, Mclogenog and Mossa for keeping me going at this map. You guys rock! :D

Thanks!
Sythen

EDIT: Right! Now I've started to add a few more rooms and details I think that I'll be finishing this map pretty soon. As this isn't intended to be a really big map. There is a total of 6 playerstarts (maybe more soon) and I feel that I am just about finished, at the moment I have based it all around a hazy orange color so I think I'm going to change a few lights to make it look and feel a lot better.

GrotesqueArtist

Apr 6, 2008
Your one of few John :) But Once I've finished this DeathMatch map, I will start immidately on a Single player map based on this. :)

andynerd

Jul 10, 2008
wow if that is newbish on UE3 then i need to get it -_- i am comfinded to unreal tournement1 textures and my own custom meshes and i think with the right lighting i can make it look pretty good! anyway that looks great for a newbish thing (i don't think it is noobish in my opinion XD) hope i can do that once i get a game or something that has UE3 in it (hey what can i say i don't like the games i love making the maps : D)

andynerd

Jul 10, 2008
yours and i was ranting about the fact that i can't get UE3 XD i unno it is annoying :p but ya the map is good

GrotesqueArtist

Apr 6, 2008
They've changed drastically since I first started, ah well.. I better take some screenshots now then and make my next W.I.P post. xD