UE3 - UDK Collision in UDK

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRS

a pathetic excuse for a udk noob
Jan 26, 2011
Hi, I'm new here.

So, I am trying to export a simple cube from the blender to the UDK for tutorial purposes. I convert the model to a .ase, and import it into a new package in the UDK. For some reason, whenever I import a model, however simple, the thumbnail under it says "No Collision," and allows no collision. I then did some research and learned about the UCX_ prefix, I then created a collision box, checked the code for:

*GEOMOBJECT {
*NODE_NAME "UCX_cube"
*NODE_TM {
*NODE_NAME "UCX_Cube.001"

And it appeared like it is here. But, whenever I imported the collision box model, It showed up in the content browser with 0 tris, 0 verts, and no geometry at all whatsoever. Any Help?

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
I've used Blender too for Unreal Tournament 3 meshes, but I have been unable to figure out how to import collision together with the model.

What I generally did was either importing the collision model as a brush and converting it to the mesh' collision (it's one of the options when you right-click on a brush, at least in the UT 3 editor) or just use the per-poly collision settings (which I wouldn't recommend though unless you're creating only simple terrain).

NRS

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks, it looks like this will work for now, (at least a form of it). I would like to model my own collision boxes eventually, but for now, I can at least experiment.

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
Well, I just tried to create something with collision in Blender and this time it worked 0_o

I think that it doesn't work if you have too complex collision models. Probably they have to be convex, and if you have the need to make something more than a simple cube or cylinder then you have to split the collision in multiple pieces.
Try to take a look at Epic's stock meshes to see how their collision is done, in the complex models there are more collision colors since there are more objects.

To make collision work I did a simple model in Blender (I took a cube, stretched it a little, duplicated its vertices in Edit Mode so that there would be something with a gap) which I called OB:Cub, then I duplicated the object and set its name to OB:UCX_Cub.
I did then a simple ASE export with all the default options on, and then imported in UnrealEd.

Checking the "One convex per UCX Object" property when importing merges all the collisions that are in the same UCX object (in my case UCX_Cub), and I had to uncheck it since it merged the two separate cubes thus removing the gap in the middle of the collision.
Importing without that checked worked fine (I think that it's unchecked by default), the two cubes showed up as different collision models (one green and one red).

I did all this with the Unreal Tournament 3 editor, but it should be the same thing for UDK.
I generally used Blender for meshes like big complex caves so I had to use the per-poly collision model anyway :)
(you can get the collision to be per-poly simply unchecking the three 'UseSimpleBoxCollision', 'UseSimpleLineCollision' and 'UseSimpleRigidBodyCollision' checkboxes in the mesh properties window. Projectile collision will be always per-poly)

Hope this helps

Last edited:

NRS

Jan 26, 2011
OOOHhhh... looks promising, I'll have to try that today, Thankyou very much, I will post back if it works (or not...)