Windows 2000 Lockups

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SuperBlaster

Dec 12, 2000
Visit site
Windows 2000 Lockups/Gen Prot Fault

This problem only happens with UT. After playing UT for awhile the game just locks up. Or if I minimize UT it crashes. And sometimes when I am playing UT the keyboard and mouse just stop responding. Once the keyboad stops responding, I can still press control alt delete and then UT crashes back to the windows desktop. It should not be power supply related and it isnt heat related. The error message always says general protection fault. Please let me know if anyone knows how to fix this. Thanks!

Here are my system specs:

Win 2k
EPoX 8K7A Motherboard
TBird 1200 133-FSB
Leadtek GeForce 2 Pro Video Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Linksys 10/100 NIC
Maxtor 30 Gig HDD
256 Meg Crucial PC2100 CL2.5 RAM
Enermax 350 Watt PS
Pioneer 10X DVD
Plextor 8/4/32 burner

I just did another clean install of Win2k with all updated drivers. Using newest Via 4in1's, AMD AGP Miniport Driver, Santa Cruz, and NVidia reference drivers along with Win2k SP2 and UT 4.36 patch. Also installed newest Motherboard BIOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperBlaster

Dec 12, 2000
Visit site
Update

<bump>

The computer stopped locking up. EpOX told me NOT to use the 4 in 1's for the southbridge and use their drivers which fixed it.

I'm still getting the problem where my keyboard and mouse stop responding in the middle of a game. All the bots keep running around killing me but I can't do anything. I CAN press control alt delete which brings up the task manager telling me that UT is not responding then I have to end the task. It happens EVERY time I play.

I did a search in the forum for this problem and couldn't find anything.

Anyone know what the voltage for my RAM and CPU should be set at?

Anyone know how to fix it?

sfxwe

Jun 14, 2001
clansfx.com
Dunno if this will help or not....but here it goes anyways!

I have a very similar system:

FIC AD 11 MB
T-Bird 1.2
256 PC 2600 Ram
Maxtor HD
Plextor 16x10x40
SB Live 5.1
Win 2k
LeadTek GeForce Ultra 2

Mine does same thing.....there is a patch from AMD and MS, says it is suppose to fix an AGP Problem with AMD. Goto MS web site and look in the knowledege base, search for AMD, that should pull it up.....

Says that AMD processors can lock Up System when 3D applications are running!

Hope it helps....

SuperBlaster

Dec 12, 2000
Visit site
Fixed!.....Hopefully

I edited the registry like the MS knowledge base told me to, downloaded nwe mouse and keyboard drivers, and bumped up the voltage on my RAM and CPU and now it seems to be stable after 2 hours of playing UT. Thanks!