Listen To This Bull......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

brett

Mar 18, 2000
Visit site
Well as many of us know directx has some problem with sound blaster live cards( and creative sound cards in general). i have an sb live and since i've gotten so many lockups because of this i figured id buy a monsterr sound mx400 card. i bought it and after some trouble trying to start windows 98 with 2 sound cards i removed the sb live and just kept the mx400. and my directx games didnt freeze at all!!! the next morning i started to play evolva and the dreaded sound skip lock up happened. man im mad!!! i wasted 80 on this card and lost the recept. its kind of funny though. Maybe im just doomed. by the way i can really tell the difference between the two cards. the sb live has a fuller richer sound to it and it is also a buit louder :) im taking back the mx 400. Im thinking amybe i need a better power supply. i dunno just posting what ive experimented with.

brett

Mar 18, 2000
Visit site
by the way before installing the mx400(with out the sblive) i formated my hard drive and reinstalled windows clean along with directx 7a. UGHHH

lb4lb

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
I have the MX400 and don't have any problems with lock-ups. The only sound abnormality I may have is when I try and play games (UT for example) with full audio acceleration, I get crackling and popping sound. For this situtation you just have to run it at the basic acceleration setting. In Half-Life it works great with full audio acceleration. The last thing to check is to see what playback driver is selected in your multimedia program. For whatever reason, when I installed the software for the card it defaulted to a Yamaha sound driver for playback and that is not the one you want to use.

If you have a four speaker set-up and want to hear this card shine, put in Half-Life and set to full audio acceleration. There is no need to check EAX or A3D (but for TFC and CS you have to select EAX for some reason to get the Direct Sound to work:)). They weren't lying in the manual when they said independent 4 channel speaker output with vertical positioning effects.

HELMUT-1

Aug 22, 2000
Visit site
Do you mean to tell me that i've been ripping out my hair and stressing over my game because I had the acceleration on full or high?? If that's all it is than "YOU THE MAN" because that would save me tons of grief. I know where the acceleration tab is for video, where is it for audio and what is the basic setting, half,quarter?? By the way, I'm running a Monstersound MX300 and i can't recall it ever doing it before the last couple of weeks and that was after good 4-6 hour runs of straight game playing. All things considered, i sure in the hell hope youre right, i'm not doing my stats any good sitting offline from the game,(OR MAYBE I AM!) LOL. Thanks again.

lb4lb

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
Settings-->control panel-->multimedia-->advanced properties-->performance tab. Here you will see the slider with a description below the pointer saying how much acceleration is being applied. On mine, basic acceleration is second from the left. Also note what playback driver your card is using. There is a drop down arrow that lets you change drivers and you might want to try that if this doesn't help.

I don't know if this will help or not because you stated that your card messed up after 4-6 hours of continuous play. If I have audio acceleration on full with a game that doesn't support it, then it instantly corrupts the sound. You also may want to try the user.ini file in UT as it has several soundfields that you can tweak and that may help, too.