Wow. These forums are still active.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BlueSniper

if today was yesterday, what's tomarrow?
Mar 6, 2001
No joke. I first started playing Infiltration when I was 13, one of those bratty, loud kids who used swear words often because he thought it sounded 'k001'. Back when a geforce 2 was considered elite, or '1337', Infiltration something strange: A military shooter with iron sights, reloading, and two-hit kills. Now just about every game uses one or more of the ideas INF founded, yet nobody knows about it. I'm now a 25 year old artist/computer technician, and believe it or not, INF is the spark that has landed me where I am. I first installed Infiltration on top of my UT GOTY install and didn't think much, I just played it because it was fun, like most 13 year-old kids do. one day I opened up Unreal Editor (or as the cool kids called it 'Ued') and tried to make an Infiltration map. This is the FIRST time I ever opened up game-editing software and I followed it up with my second.

I kept working on maps for Unreal engine titles. As a game artist, you need to have decent computer hardware to keep your hobby going. Because of this I learned to build, upgrade and repair computers (thanks to my dad, who is still well and kicking). I built up my skills and through experience and passion, I am now employed as a computer technician ('been so for years, actually). My hobby is still game art, obviously I've improved a bit in my recent works. It is possible that I would be a completely different person if Infiltration did not beckon me to open up Unreal Editor and try out game art. Twelve years later, the forum is still (somewhat) active. That is awesome.

-BlueSniper/SHMPP/Kazeohin/CasualHint/Paul Stratton

BlueSniper

Mar 6, 2001
and not so secretly we are all waiting for a new inf

If I had programing skills, I would be making a new INF in UDK right now. Alas, I'm only an artist. If a coder and a few others were serious about it though...

krisredbeard

The Redbeardyist
If I had programing skills, I would be making a new INF in UDK right now. Alas, I'm only an artist. If a coder and a few others were serious about it though...

That'd be me. Not a professional, but I already have a decent base using UDK.
Aussie too.

EDIT: Something I posted on UDK/Takedown forums as example of true first person viewpoint. Not the UDK base I'm talking about, but a good example. Wiggly'ness is head tracking.
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw9aMIzb8vs[/M]

Last edited:

BlueSniper

Mar 6, 2001
So, you are Australian? What part? I'm in penrith (western Sydney). Back during the INF haudays (2000-2003) I lived in the US. I immigrated down here four years ago.

As for defibrillating INF, I'm all for it. We'd either need to contact Warren and get permission to use the name or just make up a new name. Either way, we'dd need a few more team members to make some real progress. I specialize in character, level, and effects art. I wouldn't be able to do weapons efficiently.

krisredbeard

The Redbeardyist
I live North-West of Melbourne.
Trying to create my own Thinking Mans FPS, not re-do Infiltration.
Mind you, they have fairly similar thoughts/goals anyway.
I do not plan on making an entire game to compete with Infiltration or a triple-A title.
I simply want a basic version together to generate interest, then go from there.
Making money from it would be nice, but not the current goal.

DarkStar911

Apr 3, 2012
Yeah, I have been messing around with the Unreal Engine for 12 years now. And I know exactly how each and everyone of you feel about time. Nothing has been going on for about that long for the INF crowd. I am sick of seeing some many games like BF3 coming out, and being ruined by unorganized warfare. I like ArmA 2 as well, but it is unauthentic in terms of destruction and what a warzone is classified as. In most warzones, everything is half blown to bits with trash everywhere. I come from Unreal Gold, where everything was Sci Fi but creative.

If any of you can find me the Source Code of Infiltration 2.9, I would be able to speed up the process of completing another version by 50%. Rigging and stuff into the new engine may be a little easier than hard. I am good at everything from 3d modelling, Art, Mapping, Texturing to Programming. If anyone here is willing to help, I am TOTALLY up for it because this work is shamefully difficult. In the end, we can sell this as a project... just like Red Orchestra... and possibly make big bucks. I can see some of you already have potential and probably already as good as me. I am atm, looking for someone who is good with making sound effects and music. Possibly particle effects, but I figured most of the particles are done in 3ds max because its half impossible getting some of that exclusive stuff without going to a shooting range. I picked up a AR-15 and GSG for the first time yesterday, and was shocked by its light weight. And I almost bought them babies, but I also need dimensions for tanks... or maybe just schematics etc. I am planning to have things as far as T72's to things like the Amtrac Amphibious Assault vehicle.

Last edited:

krisredbeard

The Redbeardyist
I saw your earlier post but I cannot respond in that section (for some reason).
I am only interested in an achievable CQB experience.
There are other games catering for the larger scale battles (RO1/2, Arma1-3, BF3 etc).
Few focus on CQB/tight combat.
I have the code - but to finish the system I need to work with an character animator.
Its hard to find the time to delve into animations myself juggling work and children.

krisredbeard

The Redbeardyist
Sitting on code that supports:
  • True first person viewpoint
  • Torso actions.
  • Bullet drop.
  • Bullet penetration.
  • Reloading.
  • Multiple weapon sights.
  • Smooth crouch/stand blend & prone (want more).
  • Rigid body non-attached inventory.
  • Basic head tracking using Seeing Machines FaceAPI.

Haven't touched it much since November (new daughter).
Will need updating/cleaning for sure, but I'm all for that once I get a decently rigged models/animations to work with.
One gentlemen has been slowly updating a purchased player model, but is not so good at rigging. I roughly rigged it to put ingame so I could continue working on the true first person code until my daughter arrived, at which point I had other priorities.
Since then, not much apart from the true first person UDK demo to show off my skills/help the UDK community.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@BlueSniper, DarkStar911, krisredbeard:

I may sound over-enthusiastic, but why are you guys bothering? I see Ground Branch as the next best thing to Infiltration. To me it is nothing short but the real spiritual successor to INF.
I tested the pre-alphas of GB already and the potential is very much there. It has been moving slowly the past years, but recently Blackfoot announced that they are going dynamic again.
If you have real development skills, why don't you ask Blackfoot to help out on Ground Branch? After all, everything else is just talking and wishing, GB is the only thing that is really happening.

@krisredbeard:
I am in the same boat, I am a CQB nerd. Ground Branch may seem very open placed and military, but CQB is a strong aspect of it, because GB does not differentiate between open and enclosed. It is about the emergence of comabat. You fight enemies off from distance and engage them in close combat the next moment. It is one flowing process and GB is supposed to be equally strong in any individual combat scenario, unlike many other mil-sims/tac-shooters.
All of this because of one thing, realism.

I like your vids kris. Love it how you move the head around during action.

krisredbeard

The Redbeardyist
@Psychomorph : Until I see Ground Branch in the flesh (so to speak) I have no idea if it will truly be what I want to play. Waiting patiently for April 16, hoping for some awesome news from Blackfoot.

In the meantime, why not work on something?
Its a hobby :)

BlueSniper

Mar 6, 2001
Agreed. I'm one for thinking INF was more of a special police sim rather than a military sim, though the realism of the political backdrop is not important at all to me, the realism of the CQB combat is goal #1. A bunch of SWAT/marines fighting eachother in a subway station is not at all realistic, but it doesn't need to be, because the scenario is fun, and if the combat particulars are realistic then the whole situation feels real.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Yes, guys like darkstar, if you want to see an inf like shooter why not approach gb and support them. You can still work on your own ideas, maybe even with some help from gb's people.

Matiwas

Jun 2, 2009
Its not the same if it looks or functions realistically. It allso seems that you can't get those in the same packet.
I don't really give a flying sh*t if the soldiers are not wearing the 100% authentic rig or BDU...

@ Darkstar
I think you should contact the GB team before you even think if doing your own game/mod.

@ Kriss
I like it! :D

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
So far, I think GB is a bunch of hype and ads. They remind me of the Fighter Ops flight sim (in development for like 10 years now, with little if anything to show, but send us money! ). They just don't have the power to do it IMO. Come out with a new inf, and I'll buy it. With my current job in Construction, that's the best I can do. Also, with Beppo having left, thats kind of like a stake through the heart. I think it was Beppo's vision that really made Inf.

Hey DarkStar, I wish you luck on your version. I support modders (especially ones who do it just for love of the game) far more than I support from scratch, doing it for money. Building from scratch is far harder, people want to make lots of money doing it, and thus it rarely become reality.

Inf was done out of pure love for the tactical realism genre and that is why it was so good. Inf is gone, but what a template we have for modding another game.

DCS ( the super realistic flight sim! ) is actually steering somewhat towards ARMA now with its module introducing controllable ground forces. I'm hoping one day they will release SDKs for their modules and terrain engine and modder can start modding it. I think this is the future of FPS. Don't start with the ground, start with the AIR and come down. Going to be fun making A-10C runs on BorderTown.

Incoming!

@Kris - Nice video! But that gun just begs for some iron sights or holosights.

Last edited:

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Kinda with Logan6 on this one. Besides, GB is all about their vision. The joy of making your own project is you don't have to answer to anyone. You get to make it what you want.

The act of creating is often more important then the product itself, at least from the artists perspective.