ixbar3000 frontend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
So I've been making this frontend for about a year.
It basically allows you to launch games from a single location while tracking the time wast... invested ;).

IMHO this is the greatest emulator frontend in the world and it should have more than 4 users! :lol:
Now I'm not sure if any of you are into retro gaming, but I would like to get some feedback on the project. Bug fixes, feature requests anything goes.

ixbar3000 works on Windows and Linux. It has very small system requirements and it's very fast. There's also no known bugs, but I’m sure there are few.

Project page is here: http://www.imxn.net/ixbar3000/ it should have all the information needed to run, screenshots and all that jazz.

Attachments

• ixbar019-03.jpeg
    ixbar019-03.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 107
Mar 6, 2004
I never play with emulators, i get confused trying to figure them out and get roms working. I'd be all over emulators if I had them plus tons of roms from online or something.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
I am guessing that is where this software like this comes in.

eg. setting up UAE can be fiddly with the variety of Amiga setups possible. The "Amiga Forever" package has pre-configured setups, and because it is a commercial product, you get the ROMs needed.

Console emulators are much simpler, but MAME can be a pain.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
ixbar3000 handles older systems as well, the image is just the latest one I have :p.
It handles MAME quite well too. MESS is tricky as some drivers (vectrex) crash my computer.

What is difficult are computers (Amiga, PC-98's). They are usually more complex and have variations (CPU, RAM, etc.). I'm only familiar with DOS, Windows and Linux, which all work fine. But with something completely _new_, like that amiga, It's a entirely new world.

If you want Amiga support and you are adept in that field, we can work it in. :)
I designed the software so that it's as versatile as possible, works in every environment possible, with the least amount of stress to the system as possible.
So basically If you know that a program can be run from terminal or cmd, then it can be run from ixbar3000.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
IMHO this is the greatest emulator frontend in the world and it should have more than 4 users! :lol:

Having a name like that doesn't help your program to get a wider attention.
You should rename it to something like "The Amazing Frontend To All Known Emulators So You Don't Have To Fiddle Them Yourself". That's so much better.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
So this works with PCSX-R and VBA? Does it allow you to set custom emulation settings for a specific emu and specific game, because that would be very useful :D

Looks really nice, I tried to setup a similar thing using XBMC last year but it just didn't work well.

Last edited:

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
It does look good, is there somewhere to download screenshots (and loading screens) that work with it, such as for all SNES games, all Megadrive games, etc? And also screenshots for PC games, though for PC shots maybe the ability to choose which ones to download will be better as we'll all have only a few PC games on our drives even if we all have complete SNES/NES/Megadrive/Spectrum/C64 etc rom sets installed too.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
DarkED: Yes. Although no-one has tested those emulators yet, they should work, but some emulators need specific presets.
- At the moment you can only have emulation setting per system, not per game. I thought of that, but couldn't figure out why would anyone want/need per game settings? So, please tell me why :)

Kerr Avon: There are preview images (title screen, gameplay, boxart), but not for every system (DOS,SNES,NES, et al are covered, but PSX and other optical-based media doesn't have any :( ).
Links and documentation are at the project website (link at the footer of my posts).

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I thought of that, but couldn't figure out why would anyone want/need per game settings? So, please tell me why :)

Well, a lot of PSX games need different plugins, settings, or game fixes to run properly. For example... on PCSX-R 1.9.93 you cannot run Vagrant Story properly with Pete's OGL/D3D plugins, because PCSX-R's core breaks framebuffer effects no matter which hardware plugin or settings you use. So, the best plugin to use is Pete's software renderer. Eternal SPU provides the best sound in this game.

Same goes for SOTN, in addition to turning analog 'off' on your controller plugin. This can be done using a keybind but it'd be a lot nicer if it could be done automatically via a profile. And again, you want to be using Eternal SPU for sound - just make sure you set the timing mode to SPU Async, otherwise some odd audio glitches will happen every now and then.

On the other hand, Gran Turismo 2 works fantastically with Pete's OGL plugin, especially when using improved GTE (vertex location) accuracy. But you're better off using Peops SPU. Eternal SPU doesn't always play nice with audio in GT2 and glitches will generally happen.

With Metal Gear Solid there's a slew of special settings you should enable in both the graphics plugins and Eternal SPU or Peops SPU to make the game run properly.

The Final Fantasy games / Legend of Dragoon also require special fixes that, when enabled, will break many other games.

These are just a few examples for PCSX-R. If using ePSXe things are similar but can often get even more specific because of the differences in the emulation core.

If you're running PCSX2 to emulate PS2 games, well, nearly every game needs different settings to run properly (depending on hardware, of course.) This makes a frontend without game-specific profiles essentially useless for PCSX2.

Sidenote: If you're using pSX as your PSX emulator, there are generally zero settings to change except analog on/off. pSX is designed to emulate the Playstation hardware as accurately as possible, and as such, has little in the way of settings for graphics and sound. The drawbacks to pSX are that it's outdated, has a crappy GUI, and can be slow even on modern hardware because emulation accuracy is higher.

Last edited:

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
heh. I suppose I was lucky then. I had no issues when testing with PCSX2 nor pSX. :p

Anyway it would be quite simple feature to implement if the plugins accept commandline switches. I did some searching, but I could only find switches relating to the emulator itself.

Do you know whether the plugins accept commandline switches and do they store their settings?