Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Near Dark 3/10

This felt as though it had been made by someone who had read a third-hand description of a Coen brothers film - mildly rural, small-town and motel settings and unlikeable, thinly-drawn characters (but without the saving grace of a Coen brothers quirky trait to the character).

At the end of it, I could not have cared less if none of the characters had survived.

Were there any compensating merits? Not really. With the exception of one scene in a bar, the moment there was a hint of tension the film shied away from that. Pacing was way off, 30 minutes into a 94 minute film before we discover the "secret" led to a fairly rushed ending.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I think it's a little bit different with movies. Especially since you have so many critics with differing opinions. Going by imdb, 5/10 is an average film. Enough people liked it to keep it out of the lower half of the spectrum. Enough people disliked it to keep it out of the upper half. Watchable, but nothing special. 6+ starts to get a bit above average, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is incredible, 10 is impeccable. That's how I view it at least.

This ^

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Another Earth - 7/10
Sounds a bit Sci-Fi in title only because of the sudden appearance of a duplicate earth in the night sky and this just acts as a vehicle for the story's narrative.
It's a bit of a slow burner this one with sad undertones and a overbearing melancholy pressing down on the character portrayed by a beautiful looking actress by the name of Brit Marling.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The Adventures of Tin Tin (3D)-8/10

I never got into the comics as a kid but I thought this film was very entertaining. It really does have a lot of the Spielberg/Indian Jones vibe built into it.

The animation, including character animation, and 3D are superb with the (virtual) camera-work and lighting done brilliantly. The sword fight scenes, which are motion captured are pretty well perfect.

It looks like it set up for a sequel, and I'm sure I will go and see that too.

Last edited:
Mission Impossible 4

I must be one of the last people I know that still likes Tom Cruise. Everytime the poor guy ran away from an explosion in this movie my girlfriend couldn't help but lean over and whisper "You can't catch me gay thoughts!"

I really enjoyed the original Mission Impossible movie, was entertained by John Woo's silly sequel, and was pretty much indifferent to Part 3. We went to this one on a whim with some friends (in IMAX) and I was pleasantly surprised (the other option was the Muppets). It's much better than the previous two and manages to do something with the stunts that I haven't felt since a younger Tom Cruise was lowered silently into a computer room by Leon; make me tense and anxious.

The only negative things I have to say about it was this one, like all the other sequels, fails to do the "smart" thriller thing (which the first movie adhered to until its ridiculous climax) and sticks to the just action. While that's hardly a real complaint, I also didn't care much for the epilogue (had to squeeze a certain cameo in there somehow) and had problems with the villains; they aren't really that interesting, although it's still better than pitting Tom Cruise against the fat camera man from Boogie Nights and that ludicrous guy from Part 2.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Hugo (3D)-7/5/10

This was definitely not the film story I excepted to see based on what I saw in the trailers. A good story and great visuals nevertheless.

Red Dog-8.5/10

Based loosely on a true story this flick was an entertaining and pleasant surprise. Probably the best Australian film I have seen in years. If you want to see a real Australian movie see this and forget about that wanking little turd Baz Lurhmann...........

Skeptical9

Jan 22, 2012
Seven of Doran : 2/5 ... They feature a white giraffe all over the cover, but you only see it for 2 minutes. It's a kids movie.

Thor : 3/5 Liked the CGI, Boring and Stupid love story pasted in (again!), cheesy.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Kiss Me Kate 7/10

Rated for how I enjoyed and not for its technical or dramatic merits. One either likes the music or not...

The action really doesn't open out from the theatrical production (I'm assuming that the original stage musical was not a one set production) and the play within a play was pretty hokey even then.

That said, it is often amusing and being something of an admirer of the music of Cole Porter I enjoyed the music.

YMMV.

Monsters

I missed this when it was in theaters. Can't say I knew anything about it prior to watching, other then it was about aliens and the quick, very vague commercial I saw for it made it look all District 9 esque. It's not that.

The movie is about two harmlessly uniniteresting (but watchable) people making a trek from Mexico to the US border. Oh, and they have to cross territory occupied by giant space squids. I'm not spoiling anything for anyone who hasn't seen it by stating that because this is not that kind of movie. Aliens in this movie have already landed and are generally accepted as just another normal problem in the world. If anything they behave like intelligent animals. Just big, dangerous animals. I think that idea is very intriguing but it may not necessarily make for a very entertaining movie. The two twenty-somethings in this movie and their journey are what this movie is about, not Monsters. The Monsters are just kind of there. I liked it on my television but I imagine I'd be frustrated if I was sitting in the theater with a bucket of popcorn. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. Not every movie about aliens has to be about terror, explosions, slimey spit, and Will Smith.

Last edited:

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
I think it's a little bit different with movies. Especially since you have so many critics with differing opinions. Going by imdb, 5/10 is an average film. Enough people liked it to keep it out of the lower half of the spectrum. Enough people disliked it to keep it out of the upper half. Watchable, but nothing special. 6+ starts to get a bit above average, 7 is good, 8 is great, 9 is incredible, 10 is impeccable. That's how I view it at least.

Yeah, I think the movie deserves a 5 just for the sake of having been made.
Some movies don't even deserve that, though.