The Last of Us

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Anyone looking forward to this game? Reviews are pouring in and I've never seen so many 10/10's in my life. This is going to be huge. :D

edit - Better trailer:

[M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4pYIsaZqE0[/M]

Game is out on the 14th. I'm so stoked. Naughty Dog can do no wrong. :tup:

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Yep - PS3 exclusive, so time to blow the dust of my game purchasing wallet I think.
This title is being touted as one of the greatest games ever made and I don't normally pay any attention to hype but holy smokes, the 10's are rolling in thick and fast, so I'd be a crack-pot not to check this out.
Oh and yeah, Naughty Dog developed it, so I'm not taking odds on it being crap.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Same here. PS3 exclusive, no thanks. Most of the reviews seem to be artificial 10/10 with many of them saying that the atmosphere and story make up for any problems the game might have.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Just beat it. What an incredible journey.

Absolutely incredible story coupled with characters that you genuinely care for. When Ellie got into trouble with some baddies I was like "hell f*cking no" and rushed to her aid immediately. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to. She's like the awesome little sister that I never had.

Gameplay was very good. Not like OMG the best ever but the mechanics worked very well. This is much more stealth/survival horror than it is action. Kind of the opposite of Uncharted. I felt the stealth worked very well. Sneaking around clickers that are ready to rip your jugular out should you make even the slightest sound was very satisfying.

The death animations were truly horrifying. As I said, think close ups of horribly disfigured creatures ripping your jugular out as you scream in gut wrenching terror. They made similar death animations for Ellie too. Very brutal watching a little girl die that way. :(

The melee combat is where it's at. Smashing faces into the sharp edges of walls, head stomps, shivs to the throat, you name it. This game is the definition of the mature rating.

I can go on and on but I won't because I know most of you won't even play this since you are PS3-racists.

Bottom line, I do think it's deserving of the masterpiece status. And yes, a lot of that is because of the story and the way it just sucks you in and makes you feel for the characters. But the gameplay is very good as well!

For the few who have played it, what do you think?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If someone gave me a PS3 for free, I would play this. As it is, exclusives are dumb and here is a great example of why.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
As it is, exclusives are dumb and here is a great example of why.

QFT. I just hope someday someone gathers a small team and develops a good PS3 emulator. I've had my occasional fun time with PCSX2 with the GTA Stories, Shadow of the Colossus and a few others, and I'd love to do the same with games like this one and perhaps Heavy Rain.
As for Xbox... Halo and Gears? I'll pass.

edit: As for The Last Of Us, I've seen a gameplay video of the first 10 minutes, and it looks really interesting.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
You know you are selling a losing proposition when you need to lock down great games to get people to buy it. Kinda sad, really.

One has to wonder how much the devs got for having their potential sales limited like that though. Probably got richer letting Sony buy up the rights than actually developing the game for multiple platforms. Scary precedent...something I predict a lot more of as the next gen consoles jostle for position.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Actually what happens most of the time is the console publisher buys the developer. Of course that there are also exceptions, like the Bungie Halos and the non-MMO Final Fantasies that have been PlayStation exclusives for quite some time.

Last edited:

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
You know you are selling a losing proposition when you need to lock down great games to get people to buy it.
Your statement makes it sound as if Naughty Dog only needed to pass a "/WindowsPC" switch to the compiler in order to port it, but won't, because they want to be exclusive.

Naughty Dog use their own PS3 exclusive engine. They seem content with the PS3. Given the resource constraints in consoles, I'd assume their engine makes assumptions about the underlying hardware, thus making any attempt at a port equivalent to remaking the game, assuming their engine remotely cares about multi-platform support.

I will say this about Naughty Dog; most of the other PS3 ports I've seen, or even other PS3 exclusives, just can't measure up to what they manage to squeeze out of the PS3 hardware.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Your statement makes it sound as if Naughty Dog only needed to pass a "/WindowsPC" switch to the compiler in order to port it, but won't, because they want to be exclusive.

Naughty Dog use their own PS3 exclusive engine. They seem content with the PS3. Given the resource constraints in consoles, I'd assume their engine makes assumptions about the underlying hardware, thus making any attempt at a port equivalent to remaking the game, assuming their engine remotely cares about multi-platform support.

I will say this about Naughty Dog; most of the other PS3 ports I've seen, or even other PS3 exclusives, just can't measure up to what they manage to squeeze out of the PS3 hardware.
But this is a design decision made exclusively by them. They only wanted to support the PS3 and that is their business model. That's fine, but it's not like it would have been hard to license an engine that works on all platforms and do exactly what you said. A good deal of what makes games like this good is the art design, not what engine it is running on. Their games look great, but I'm willing to bet it has more to do with how skilled their artists are and less to do with how much power they are squeezing out of the console itself.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY

Naughty Dog knows their way around the hardware, that's for sure. It's unbelievable what they are able to squeeze out of this ancient hunk of crap.

However, they did sacrifice frame rate for visual quality in TLOU. Some sections dropped down to about 15 fps. That's kind of inexcusable for a console game. It also made the fan on my PS3 go nuts. Thing sounded like a vacuum at 100%.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013

It would only sound that way to someone who wanted to read it that way.

As Brizz said, it was a decision that was made, regardless of the ease of pursuing alternatives which again, was not in my post.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
However, they did sacrifice frame rate for visual quality in TLOU. Some sections dropped down to about 15 fps. That's kind of inexcusable for a console game. It also made the fan on my PS3 go nuts. Thing sounded like a vacuum at 100%.
There are frame rate drops in this game and the Uncharted series, too. The fan does go nuts with these games. The worst FPS drops so far was a corridor that spammed particle effects. I'm pretty sure most players will remember that corridor. (Got it yesterday, played about six hours.)

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
But this is a design decision made exclusively by them. They only wanted to support the PS3 and that is their business model.
That's fine, but it's not like it would have been hard to license an engine that works on all platforms and do exactly what you said.
Paying for the license is easy, actually getting the knowledge to use the engine and essentially remake the game could add years, not to mention that you would need another department, and probably even a separate floor for customer support. haha

A good deal of what makes games like this good is the art design, not what engine it is running on. Their games look great, but I'm willing to bet it has more to do with how skilled their artists are and less to do with how much power they are squeezing out of the console itself.
..an argument no one named rejecht made.

It would only sound that way to someone who wanted to read it that way.
Your post clearly laid out your version of their motive for not supporting other platforms. :p I only added a more realistic motive.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Paying for the license is easy, actually getting the knowledge to use the engine and essentially remake the game could add years, not to mention that you would need another department, and probably even a separate floor for customer support. haha
My point is that there is no technical limitation preventing this game from being on other platforms, including PC. There are many paths they could have taken to make it easy to recompile. And there are plenty of companies using third party engines that release games in a few months, not years.
..an argument no one named rejecht made.
Uhhh... you said "most of the other PS3 ports I've seen, or even other PS3 exclusives, just can't measure up to what they manage to squeeze out of the PS3 hardware." which could possibly be true, but this likely has more to do with their artists and designers skill than that other people are using engines that can't get enough out of the PS3 hardware. If they had used CryEngine or Unreal Engine or something else, you would probably be saying the same thing.