Post your UT artwork

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
While the advice was sound on the lines, the lectures were unnecessary.

Perhaps, but I clearly felt they were. Though I certainly didn't intend to seem harsh or overbearingly critical in my delivery. To me you were setting yourself up to fail, and I think you're better than that.

Mind you as a thought exercise in design it was interesting. Mixing different logos for vastly different markets? It certainly piques my curiosity.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
It's not just you. I made a few tweaks...

uxbwpxwp3wp4_by_crotale-d7mm2h3.png

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Due to a PM I decided I would upload some of my old UT Logos. Though I indicated that it was a UT3 logo specifically that I was gonna upload and in fact I made this for a UT2k4 mod that never happened. Oddly enough it has come to my attention just this week that a few people around the net are using it as a logo for the new UT. Not that there is any confusion on these forums, but for the record I have never been approached by epic about it. I chock it up to the typical incompetance of bloggers and vloggers.

This is said logo.
ni9zQ7E.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It came out of the UT2k4 logo .psds that Epic distributed tbh.

I started by modifying the UT2k4 logo to look thus:
cc4SZEd.png

My website was chrome shiny black and green at the time hence I made a logo to match... but I decided I didn't like it.

Then came:
00pnQiL.png

I didn't hate it, but it resembled something that should be on an rpg imo

I stripped out the fire and the filigree and cleaned it up a tiny bit, then tried to make it look like an orb of blood:
lfol5pV.png

I liked it but something still bugged me about it...

I shortly thereafter realized that I like round objects crystal balls, glass paper weights, orb icons, boobs, etc. The result was of course:
ni9zQ7E.png

but first I tried this (it tied in to the idea of said mod)
PKrXAWE.png

I immediately realized that both the effect and my macro photography skills were crap.
I had to recreate the side spikes and re-chrome the existing U but only to crisp it up after changing its dimensions. Keeping the grime consistent was a matter of a layer style in photoshop. Though I can't recall if it was a style in the original psd or something I made and I don't have photoshop installed atm to check.
Other UT logos of mine.
sF6U7iw.png
KFkEOOS.png
36NiabV.png
IDAX54S.png
0XVOJ3f.png

Edit: BTW If anybody wants .psds on these and know a good file host let me know.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
for what it's worth, I don't think Crotale's design looks like the Nike Swoosh.
I can clearly see what others are getting at, but when you step back and glance at it next to the words "Unreal Tournament" you don't get the Nike look at all. it's only after you've got the Nike look in your mind that you feel like you're noticing it. I'm going to bet that most people would not think of the Swoosh because they're just going to be thinking about UT.

at this point my favorite concepts are Crotale's last entry and this one of Elmur's:

sF6U7iw.png

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
for what it's worth, I don't think Crotale's design looks like the Nike Swoosh.
I can clearly see what others are getting at, but when you step back and glance at it next to the words "Unreal Tournament" you don't get the Nike look at all. it's only after you've got the Nike look in your mind that you feel like you're noticing it. I'm going to bet that most people would not think of the Swoosh because they're just going to be thinking about UT.

at this point my favorite concepts are Crotale's last entry and this one of Elmur's:

sF6U7iw.png

He hasn't been updating this thread at all (I may have pissed him off). He has one specifically for his logo work here:
https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?8841-Cro-s-New-Logo-Ideas

His latest:
utlogozed3_by_crotale-d7q8779.png

He seems to have taken the constructive criticism there quite a bit better and they are looking nice.

I have to admit that the round orb designs of my own and that of others now bug me slightly. Mostly because the curves of the U don't match the curves of the orb. So unless the U was redesigned to fit the orb I now prefer the original 3 spiked U orb if it has got to be round.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
yeah I don't browse the official forums.
but if that's Crotale's latest entry, it's still my favorite along with your black/red/silver orb.

The layout on mine is basically the same as that of UT3, though I made it in 2k4 or 2k5. Mine merely is a finished visual composite based on that shape. They are looking for a new layout and that black, red, and white/silver motif could be applied to any of them.

I threw it on crotales just for illustration.
ISnOmDS.png

There is another guy (a professionally trained graphics designer such as myself though perhaps he has the background BA that is needed to a job in the field), but I don't find his work overly in tune with the vibe of UT. Though his attitude about this whole open dev process and about his work has rubbed me wrong at times, so perhaps making me biased. The logo orb itself of his isn't so bad IMO. I am just not digging his font for the word unreal.

He does have some snazzy wallpapers though.
https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?8076-My-next-logo-concept/page7

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
I realise this may not be the best place to ask this, but has there been any word on what kind of characters we can expect to see in the new UT?

I'd like to see a return of more 'human' characters, than robots and hybrids. Also less masked characters. It always felt more realistic that there was 'normal' people competing in the tournament, for want of a better phrase.