[SPACE] Elite: Dangerous + Star Citizen

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm interested in trying Elite: Dangerous. I still am skeptical of Star Citizen.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The game is entering standard beta on July 29th. Access will then cost $75, and you get the same features that premium alpha/beta players have now, except for the lifetime expansion pass, unless you buy now. That does get a little pricy though, around $135.

https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-standard-beta.html/

Frontier is saying that the standard beta build will be 'fantastically' huge, so I'm quite excited for that.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
ok so I've decided I'm going to buy one of these games this Summer.
after watching some Scott Manley youtubes on both SC and ED, I'm starting to feel that urge to sink into a good spaceflight sim again. it's been years since EVE and I used to love the Xwing Tie Fighter series.

right now I can't really make up my mind.
I'm leaning towards ED based on the flight mechanics more than anything although SC looks equally stunning. SC has extra touches like the first-person walk around mode but that's sort of a gimmick. ED seems to employ extra touches where starship performance and situational response is concerned.

SC appears to want to focus more energy on the perpetual universe/economy/community aspect whereas ED feels like it's more focused on the simulation itself of spaceflight. in most of the combat videos, it seems like there is more attention to detail being spent on fine tuning the handling, especially in real time according to the feedback of the ship.

but I'm still not even sure if this is the right impression to be taking away from either.
I'll be deciding on one or the other sometime after July 4, to still get in on some of the early preorder bonuses.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
but are any of my initial impressions correct?

getting both isn't out of the question but it also seems pretty redundant.

Star Citizen will, probably, have a more 'grand scheme' feel than ED, but overall they will be very similar. ED will also have landing walking around on stations/ships/planets, but those features will come in an expansion. It's worth noting that it's not unlikely that that expansion will come out before SC is released.

I have reservations about Star Citizen, because their development process has apparently been incredibly slow, and when they finally did release something, it was just a very simplistic space combat arena.
Over all, I much prefer the massive scale of ED, simulating the entire universe. If I were in your shoes, I'd go for ED, simply because I can play the game now. Then I'd buy SC when it eventually came out, probably in a year or two.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
update: I did buy Elite.
premium beta + lifetime expansion pass a little over a week ago. got a new joystick shortly before that.

downloaded the massive content update tonight, but as early in the morning as I work nowadays I won't really get to sink into this shit until the weekend. but at that point I'm gonna' sink way down deep. this game is sick. something tells me it's gonna' take awhile to cover 55 star systems and 38k cubic lightyears.

and I only just got comfortable running through the combat scenarios in 1 try...