Deus Ex 2 demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
rgreene said:
Sorry guys, this thing IS going to kick ass. That is a bad screenshot, I don't know how you produced a screen that looks that bad.
I'm sorry to say but, you're wrong.

Below are screenshots taken BY MYSELF in the demo with Shadow, Lighting and Character Detail all set to HIGH and running on a Radeon 9800 Pro.

Face it. Without the realtime lighting, DX2 would look like a 2 year old console game. With the realtime lighting, it only looks like a 1 year old console game. But in light of all the hype this game's graphics got before now, I was expecting much, MUCH more. And with games like Max Payne 2 already out and Half-Life 2 only months away, Ion Storm has no excuse.

-Keiichi

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
dude, i've tweaked it a lot (see the thread on the ion storm forums?) and it just runs perfectly! even the mouse lag is gone.
otherwise, the game is pretty close to the first one. once you've get used to the inferface, you can really explore the world as freely as in the first game. I've completed the demo by killing only one person (and i didn't even do it on purpose, my grenade skills need some work :shy: ). But there are a few weapons to toy with if you find them :)

edit: anyway, nobody plays this kind of games for their beauty ;)

Last edited:

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
its also not unheard of to not use full resolution textures in demos to keep the size down. I'm not sure if they did that or not, but still quit your bitching. Dx 2 was never supposed to be a display in graphic capabilities

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Kowalski.44 said:
Haven't tried it yet but remember that Deus Ex's graphics sucked bad too. It's all about the gameplay, story and voices baby!

Kowalski his the nail right on the head. Since when has Deus Ex been a game that set benchmarks on graphics ? That's typical of Keiichi to comment a gameplay-based game's graphics :rolleyes:

Now there are things that got a "meh" from me too. The interface, first, obviously excellent if you have a gamepad in hand, but a bit clumsy with a keyboard and mouse. At first, the game was far too dark, which got solved when i selected a high brightness. The lack of many options in the graphics menu was also a bit disappointing, for those like me who like to have some things scaled down for performance but not others. At very first, too, i thought the level was a bit too small for comfort.

Then i found what was good in Deus Ex. The many side quests, the NPC interaction, and all that. Still, judging from this demo, it's hard to tell what exactly is new in this sequel, gameplay-wise, that is.

Beerbaron said:
It's a demo. A demo does not portray a finished product, as well as it's capabilities. Just be patient.

It may be true, but on the other hand, if you push this logic to the extreme, a demo that crashes every 2 minutes and has untextured characters is ok too, because it's unfinished... My point is, if game developers release a demo, they must make sure that it DOES portray the finished product. That's the whole point of a demo ;)

SaraP, i'm surprised that someone with your attention to detail couldn't hit "left and right" arrow on the "select player's face" screen :D

All in all, not a bad demo, but nothing jaw-dropping like Deus Ex's was. Oh, and yeah, the weapons still suck ;)

European smartass edit : oh, and am i the only one to find funny that a game based on conspiracy theories against the government and whatnot uses a G W Bush's punchline on its splash screen ? (namely "in the future WAR ON TERROR, how will you fight ?")

Last edited:

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Guys, I remember reading articles from IGN and other websites where they actually got to sit down and play the game- NONE of them complained of any of the problems we're getting with the demo. I think it's pretty safe to say that the real game will be pretty different than what we're seeing here.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
I dunno...I've started the demo, and it seems really dissapointing. I don't mind the new interface that much, but the whole game has a very artificial feel to it, wheras the original had a gritty realism that made it awesomely immersive despite the limited graphics.

SteelDragon

Clinicaly Proven Wierdo
Feb 21, 2003
Directly Behind You
Visit site
Can't even get the thing installed.
Keeps giving me bizarre error messages, saying "clear out your temporary folder, check your internet settings, or close other programs" (Which I do) or it just kind of.. stops.
Bah.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Keichi- have you changed the engine cache in the .ini settings? AFAIK the default is set way too low, plus the mouse lag should be 0 but it's not, detailed textures and 32 bit textures are off among other things in the .ini settings.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
well consider yourselves lucky, my poor old 56k is chugging along and probably wont be finished till mon-tuesday.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
The main technical problem I have with the demo is auto-resetting keybindings. I have to reconfigure the keys every single time I travel between the apartments and the bar. It's very annoying.

DamienW

Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
The main technical problem I have with the demo is auto-resetting keybindings. I have to reconfigure the keys every single time I travel between the apartments and the bar. It's very annoying.

"c:/my documents/deus ex invisible war demo/user.ini" => file is on read only. Change that. Enjoy.

Yeah, how such a dumb thing slipped by the testing team is beyond me.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Did you notice that the female only needs to pay 400 for the pilot ? ... Is she really that pretty ;)

Feb 26, 2001
England
DamienW said:
Yeah, how such a dumb thing slipped by the testing team is beyond me.

STOP BLAMING THE DAMN TEST TEAM ALL THE TIME

It's not always their fault, they usually end up getting around 2 or 3 verisions of the demo on the last day of testing, all with major changes. Chances are this was a last minute change they didnt get the chance to test.

Sorry, I just hate people blaming the testers all the time.

DamienW

Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
-Snakebite- said:
STOP BLAMING THE DAMN TEST TEAM ALL THE TIME

It's not always their fault, they usually end up getting around 2 or 3 verisions of the demo on the last day of testing, all with major changes. Chances are this was a last minute change they didnt get the chance to test.

Sorry, I just hate people blaming the testers all the time.

Then, who should i blame ? The devs ? Rgreene will slit my throat if i do. I understand that there could be excuses, but come on ... A read-only config file........