UE3 - UT3 light & shadowing issue...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
Noob user - I am having an issue with this blue tint over my textures once I build the lighting. I also have an issue with the shadows - they are contrasting - some are sharp and some dull...but all lightmap resolutions are the same on all brush surfaces. Any ideas? Peep the screen shot for reference...

Attachments

• UE_question_screen.jpg
    UE_question_screen.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 47

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
if you go to wire frame view you will find the brush generated after a build. you will find the shadow looks bad because the geomatry generated will put a line strait through were that shadow suddenly changes gradient.

this is the problem with using BSP, you cant really control the way the engine will generate this geometry from your BSP... FIX use meshes with lightmaps... or set a higher resolution for your BSP such as 16 or 8.. i dont recommend using high rez light maps if you can avoid it though.

in regards to what you were saying about blue... you lost me there

Matroskin

Jan 25, 2008
Canada
matroskin.cgsociety.org
regarding blue tint:
it depends which lights did u put in the scene. Maybe u have a blue light there, cause faces that r blue on ur screengrab seem to receive that blue light from the same direction. The light actor maybe hidden or something like that so u don't see it. Try to unhide everything and check if there is blue light.

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
For the shadowing issue...I kicked the lightmap rez up on the barn wall texture. This helped to fix this issue - or at least fixed it enough where it is not noticeable. Thanks Bazzwano.
As for the blue tint...I had no such luck. I checked the lights - and there was no blue in them. Yet I still got this blue tint over some of textures when I rebuild the lighting. Not sure how to fix this problem. Thanks for the input though Matroskin...

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
yeh you must have a blue light around if everything going blue.. so right click on a light then press, select all point light.. or whatever light you right click on. it will select all lights of that type, sowing there radius. see if there is a light where the colour is blue.

if you carnt find it that way. use the search actor tool (its at the top) type in the type of light eg, point light, it will list all lights.. if you don't have many lights yet you can click on all of these one at a time while you have the property inspector open to see the colour of the light you select.

if its not light related. try a different material.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Select the brush and toggle showing light influences in the viewport options. If it works for brushes :)

If you have a skylight, check it's lowercolour

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
Still no luck. Jetfire - I checked the lower color. I was unable to find the toggle for the light influences. What is bizarre is that the texture doesn't always have a blue tint over it. Not even on the same brush. BTW - your Unreal work is excellent...I peeped it out. I am attaching 3 (hopefully) screenshots. One is a close up of the blue problem. The other 2 are light property windows for the skylight and directional light - the only 2 lights in my scene.
Bazzwano - I checked the search actor tool out. That thing is nice. Thanks for pointing it out. I guess I could use another texture - but like I said the texture doesn't always have this tint over it. I am racking my brain on this one. BTW - your Unreal maps are tight too...I peeped them as well.
Appreciate the help guys...

Attachments

• dc_unstable_screen01.jpg
    dc_unstable_screen01.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 11
  • dc_unstable_screen02.jpg
    dc_unstable_screen02.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 4
  • dc_unstable_screen03.jpg
    dc_unstable_screen03.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 3

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
The 'show' toggles are on a drop-down arrow on the top edge of each viewport. Select 'default show flags' if in doubt.
Is this an Epic material or one you made yourself?

Thx for the peeps btw. AFF release next week, busy busy ;)

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
Jetfire - I got the toggles to work...thanks. I see the light influences on the meshes and terrain - but no dice on the brushes. The materials that are giving me fits are Unreal materials. I am going to try to directly link the directional light to the brushes that are tinted. Any other ideas?

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
after looking at the last pic I dont think its lights as some of the BSP there is not affected, i think the problem is in the material you are using. thanks for the map comment :) i dont mind you looking at them in the editor, i think it would be great if you learn something from them

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
-Does this also happen in other levels. If yes then it is your video card.
-Copy paste problem area into brand new file so you are certain all settings and lights are gone. Still there? If not, then it was a setting or a hidden light.
-Apply a standard material to all, problem gone? Then it were the textures.

I havent read all of it but it almost sounds as a wrong background color for the lightmap. In generic browser theres a package that has the same name as your level, this contains lightmaps, what color do they have.

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
Bazzwano - You're right. I slapped the concrete texture over the wood texture that was giving me fits. Seems that the wood textures in Unreal are not agreeing for whatever reason. Thanks.
Hourences - It did turn out to be the textures. However, the lightmaps under the generic browser did have a light blue tint on some of the skinned faces. Not sure what the deal is with that - but the texture fix should work for me. Now it is just time to find a wood texture that I like.
Thanks everyone...if I run into in more issues I will let you know.

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
Upon further review...I think this may be a video card issue. When I opened up the Unreal map DM-Defiance - everything had this blue tint over it. See my attached screenshot.
What I can't figure out is why all of the textures in Definace have this blue tint - but only some of them in my scene have it. (see other screen shots)
Hourences - I guess this means I need a better video card? Right now I am running a NVIDIA GeForce 6600.

Attachments

• dc_screenshot_blue01.jpg
    dc_screenshot_blue01.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 11

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
that level is quite blue.. carnt say i play DM much but that does seem to show the BSP more blue then i remember.. so yeah you could be looking at a graphics card compatibility issue with some of the textures. but the advance textures do have a fallback material for lower end cards so its definitely strange. I would try a driver update.

well this is outa my league now. blue lightmapes to me is quite different from a graphics card rendering a surface to be blue.. a blue lightmap suggests thats the graphics card is rendering it blue because that's the colour of the lightmap.. as for epics map.. you didnt build it so we know nothings wrong with the light map and it is the way that it should be... so if you dont see their map right then i would say its the card.

Last edited:

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
Bazzwano - Success!!! I updated my driver and no more blue tints. I thought I had the most current driver - but apparently not. I didn't even think twice about updating the driver. I am building a new PC in April when I graduate...I am just glad I can use UE in the meantime. Hats off to everyone for helping me resolve this issue.
Not to bug you guys too much :D - but my BSP shadows are not casting on my terrain. Any ideas? Peep the screen of my fence for reference.

Attachments

• dc_terrain_shadowing.jpg
    dc_terrain_shadowing.jpg
    899.8 KB · Views: 8

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
Bazzwano - Success!!! I updated my driver and no more blue tints. I thought I had the most current driver - but apparently not. I didn't even think twice about updating the driver. I am building a new PC in April when I graduate...I am just glad I can use UE in the meantime. Hats off to everyone for helping me resolve this issue.
Not to bug you guys too much :D - but my BSP shadows are not casting on my terrain. Any ideas? Peep the screen of my fence for reference.

How high did you set the lighmap resolution on the terrain?

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand

I must admit I have not even looked into terrain.. my next map was going to have terrain but iv changed that Idea so I wont be using terrain.. Ill learn terrain when i need it. but iv never used it.. not since it was added into UE2.

Glad the driver fixed your issues. thought thats what it was after you had issues with epics map. :)

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
*BILLY$CLINT* - Under the terrain properties > Lighting it says my StaticResolutionLighting is 4. Not sure if this is the value you are refering to. I have posted a screen shot showing the Lighting portion of my Terrain Properties. Maybe this will give you more insight. Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• dc_terrain_lighting.jpg
    dc_terrain_lighting.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 2

foomunda1

Oct 1, 2008
No worries...I got everything hooked up for my lighting. Thanks again for the help guys. Turns out I didn't have the bForceDynamicLight box selected. That did the trick.