UE3 - UT3 Questions about UnrealED 3.0

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Poopatron

Jan 23, 2008
Hi all. Im currently studying Computer Arts at uni and am in my 4th year. I have undertaken a project and decided to create it in UnrealED. I have been using it now for several months and am very impressed with it but have several unsolved questions that i need help with.

- Is possible to add ambient lighting to the environment so the whole environment is bright with no shaddows. This would be easier for testing.

- How can i remove the weapons and GUI from the screen. I dont want any visual GUI.

- How can i make the player immune to water?

- Can the final map be saved as a standalone .exe?

- Is is possible(easy) to add text to the screen when the player collides with a certain object?

- Is it possible(easy) to add hotkeys that will allow the player to teleport to different parts of the map?

Thank you for any help

Poppy

osirisrt

Jan 23, 2008
Orkney - Scotland
1. Theres a lot of lighting types and options within each light so im sure you can get what you require.
2. Not sure what you mean.
3. Do you mean you get the effect of being in water without the visual look of water ? Not sure quite what you mean.
4. No, maps can only run within the game that your using to edit.
5. Yeah in ut3 i think this can be fairly easily done through kismet.
6. Err, again possibly through kismet, but i wouldnt know specifically how.

HamBone

CSG junky...
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto
www.gamethumb.ca
How can i remove the weapons and GUI from the screen. I dont want any visual GUI.

There are console commands that remove the GUI and weapon (showhud and showgun). I'm not sure how you would start the game with it set to hide the GUI and weapon though.

How can i make the player immune to water?

If you mean that you do not want the player to take any damage, you could go into the properties of the water volume and remove the damage that is normally dealt to the player.

AsToRoTh

Jan 20, 2008
K Im assuming by Unreal Ed 3.0 you mean the editor that shipped with Unreal Tournament 2004 and not Unreal Editor for UT3.

- Is possible to add ambient lighting to the environment so the whole environment is bright with no shaddows. This would be easier for testing.
Yes add an Actor-Info-ZoneInfo to your map. Right click it and click Poperties. In the box that opens click the Display Tab. Ambient Light should be one of (if not the) first option. Depending on how bright you want the level for testing Id aim for about 100.
- How can i remove the weapons and GUI from the screen. I dont want any visual GUI.
Not sure although you can use UT's options to turn off the HUD or use the console command screenshotmode (or something).

- How can i make the player immune to water?
Not sure on this one but Id assume its adjustable within the Zone actors properties.

- Can the final map be saved as a standalone .exe?
Doubtful although if the correct version of Unreal (or whichever Unreal Engine games editor you are using) is installed, double clicking the map file shout automatically launch the games executable and boot the map too.
- Is is possible(easy) to add text to the screen when the player collides with a certain object?
Im not 100% sure you can do it with the unmodified UT engine but Im pretty sure you can do that with OldSkoolMonster tools.
- Is it possible(easy) to add hotkeys that will allow the player to teleport to different parts of the map?
K Im not sure what you mean about hot keys. You can add teleporters around the map that will do what (I think) you want to do and presumably if you wanted them switch enabled Im guessing if you cant do it with triggers there would be a workaround (such as adding a blocking volume or invisible mover to stop you stepping on the teleport?)

Cryosis

Jan 19, 2008
5. Definately can be done via kismet sequences
6. I doubt you cold do it via hotkeys unless there was a kismet trigger related to keys, other options you could would be invisible portals or Kismet activated buttons or switches in your level that would teleport you