Tutorial: Requests?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
It just occured to me that if anyone wants other tutorials posted on the SkinCity boards, please let us know...

Something you're not sure about (like I can't find Upaint it's not on my disc (for the hundreth time)) :lol:

More advanced skinning info/techniques...

Modelling topics...

Making nice portraits...

Upl entries, what they mean and what the variables are?

Let us know anyway and time willing they'll be added :2thumb:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well sure , i really want to get involved in skining ,

I just started modeling recently , i want to know sommething good for starting making TC skins , without using crapy textures.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Quick reply, Kantham... You can use Upaint to do your default skin if you want, then simply export the images... To actually do team colours or better skinning though you should really use an image editing program (preferrably one that allows you to work with layers)... Paint Shop Pro is inexpensive and there's a free trial/shareware version. Photoshop is top of the range but expensive. They're the most common but there are lots more out there too and many are free.

My suggestion would be to use Upaint initially to practice and learn where everything is on a model then move on to an image editor. I haven't even looked at a skin in Upaint since my very first one over a year ago ;)

JaDeN

JaDeN
Jun 26, 2004
US
klasnic said:
It just occured to me that if anyone wants other tutorials posted on the SkinCity boards, please let us know...

Making nice portraits...

Let us know anyway and time willing they'll be added :2thumb:

I'd like one for making nice portraits. If you have the time. Thanks :)

p.s. could you direct me to some helpful posts on sending skins?

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I really need to learn UV , and texturing , what i mean by texturing , is not to comme up with the pencil tool and color/hue it all the way around. No , what i want is a Kick *** TC , i will learn maya in deep , and later learn animation , and UVs , but later.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
@ JaDeN, I'll do the thread on portraits asap. For sending skins just mail them to SaD... Click here - I take it that's what you meant :)

@ Kantham I'm hoping some experienced modellers will contribute their bits to the tutorial section too. Meanwhile, I'll post any info I can find or links to info :tup:

Kno One

in particular
Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
a couple of requests

thanks in advanced to anyone that can do these.

1: Adding emitter to a model, as in putting a light on a shoulder mounted floodlamp or maybe a nice particle fx emanating out of a mechanical eye, etc.

2: Creating moving shaders like Klasnic's ultra cool Falcon skin. (guessing Klasnic could do this one easy. nudge, nudge, wink, ;))

3: Using transparencies for hair, ghost fx, and multi-layered models like helmet visors, u2's angel models, and a couple of models from q3.

thats all i can think of at the moment, if i think of any others i'll be sure to ask.

b.t.w. does anyone have sugestions for a good free model viewer that can import/export skins and isnt too resource hungry? been using upaint for it but it tends too be a little too clunky for that purpose.

hmmmmm, for that matter how about a suggested paint/3d app thread in the tut forum.

SaD

Skincollecting Fanatic
Sep 6, 2003
Germany
skincity.beyondunreal.com
Some basic tutorials are a good idea IMO .
But that´s not my part , because I´m not a skinner :lol: .

Like : How to get the skin from UPaint in a playable format (.upl and .utx).
How to create a .upl-file and so on.

eklipse

The Combo Whoring Yoshi
Oct 27, 2004
one more...im in need of a tutorial on how to create realistic hair in Paint Shop...if there is an easy method of doing that, please show me a link or explain cuz thats what im stuck on for the time being x_x;

Devil_D

Modeler & music maniac
Oct 28, 2004
Sweden
I need a tutorial that explains easily how to make UVmaps, because i really need to find out how to do one.
Or else i cant have a skin for my robot, even if i cant skin it myself.
The program i would like to do UVmaps for is MilkShape3D.

Adrik

Mar 8, 2005
I just started and I'm looking for a tutorial about doing team skins in photoshop.

Xavious_Luthian

May 7, 2005
Custer, MI, USA
Could some one help on putting a skeleton in a model?

I have this model that was done for months, and I really want to use it, but I can't figure out how to put a skeleton in it. I made it with Maya 5.0 PLE and I think I got the right type of skeleton downloaded, but I can't figure out how to put the skeleton in. Could someone help? Maybe the skeleton was the wrong file type or something like that, it uses the same skeleton as the Gen Mo'Kai.

Last edited:

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
I was gonna' send you here MäxX until I noticed you asked in the first place :lol:

I'm personally reluctant to post any info about it as it's really to do with Coding/Scripting and nothing to do with skinning as such. Also, the reason I gave little info about it in the first place is that's how aimbots are made in the long run...

Give it a little thought to see do you really want to get into it - Skins/models using custom species won't work online unless 2k4 is patched to v3339 or later. Even if 2k4 is patched there may be issues with AntiTCC and will be issues with SafeGame. People using them could end up banned by Utan servers because of the SafeGame issues - Just having a custom species script on the system could stop people connecting to servers using these mutators even if they're using a different skin/model altogether.

I've done it and Hide's done it but we're well known, established ppl in the community - people know we're reliable. I'm certainly not saying you're not but if I post info like that here, anybody could come in, read it and end up making the next gen aimbot to ruin the online experience for everyone.

Of course, someone else just might post the info here but you're more likely to come across info in the Coding forums on BuF or on UDN via the link I gave you. If you wanna' discuss it, though feel free to pm me :tup:

@ Xavious I'd really like to see some info posted in the tutorials forum by an experienced modeller. The thing is there's so much to get into with so many programs I don't think it'll be covered anytime soon. Personally I've no experience with Maya but if you still have the query for now I'd suggest posting in the BuF modelling forum as that's where the more experienced ppl lurk ;)

If I can find info re. character rigging and animating in Maya I'll post it though.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
I see, I didn`t think of the chainreactions in online gameing *g* for sure I understand that`s nothing to do with my person, I also hate cheaters, so no prob.

but wait, I`ll discuss this in the other thread :) gonna stay on topic :p

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
I'm trying to figure out how to make a custom species (actually just want it for custom blood and maybe gibs). Maybe eventually adding a emmiter to the skin although not really worried about it right now.

Basicly looking at making blue blood or a water ripple type of effect if possible, they just don't look right with red / green blood.

btw
I do have "some" experience programming / scripting ect just havent been able to figure this out on my own.

Last edited: