UT3 User Interface vs the rest

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
For me I get the best frame rate in the menu.(no I do ot have the patch that removes the background) And my computer is just ofver the minimum requirements. The menu may not have that many uses, but for me its a smooth ride through.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well the framerate is gonna be dependent on machine ofcoarse, anyways I wanted to elborate on the area's where it becomes unresponsive for me since I think Ive covered most of the layout stuff already and touched on the effects that other people have also talked about.

Number 1, is when I click on a menu and a new page is opening there is a slight pause between them, my framerate goes from a smooth 60 to 0. I have my suspicions this is actually caused by resetting audio since Im using onboard sound and my CPU is pretty much up at 100% the whole time, I can hear it reset. A similar thing happens on the login menu which causes the whole thing to freeze temporarily on the login page then boom all my sound options come into play when really they should be loaded before login. I dont see why audio options wouldnt be a system setting and not a user based one since its easy enough to adjust when another player has been playing, also you adjust them yourself as sometimes you dont need them so loud etc.

Number 2, is on the server browser when first running through a filter the whole thing just chogs the hell up and I have to wait for all servers to come up pretty much before I can do anything. Now its not that big of a problem if you wernt pinging every server from here to canada, I wont go on about that its been mentioned enough times.

I could go into stuff on the midgame menu and how that could be completely dumped, midgame stuff doesnt need a whole dedicated full screen and if you think it does your design is flawed. For those times when you just need to load, put a load screen in the background and overlay the midgame stuff like chat menu over the top, etc.

Also the command menu needs to be dumped and reworked, someone needs to get in there and go "what do we need on this menu to make it useful in team based multiplayer?"

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Now for something a bit different.

The sounds. I hate them. The stupid "CLUNG!" and "WHOOSH!" whenever I have to go to a different menu screen, the dumb "blup" sound when I'm scrolling the gametypes or servers with the scroll wheel. Finally, the awesome "GONG!" I get when I connect to a server. Hey thanks for that stupid gong, I feel like I"m entering a Chinese Dynasty or something. What could be worse? What about the low quality sounds themselves? The way the menu sounds like, constantly going off, it reminds me of those terrible flash sites that popped up all over the place in early 2000 and 2001. Move your mouse over the annoying flash buttons rapidly and they'd all go off simultaneously with a overwhelmingly loud "BLUP!". This is exactly what the stupid UI in UT3 does. It's like a flash reject stuck in 2001 was given creative control over the sounds and used his compressed 8bit flash audio from his 100mb Zip disk.

Click on a menu item or hold f1 in the scoreboard online and you'll see, it's like a a nightmare in time travel, only I paid 50$ for it. (BTW Pressing f1 on the scoreboard online may momentarily freeze up your computer because EPIC ROCKS!)

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I'm not saying the UI should not be better or improved. I just can't understand people saying it's non functional. I don't have an amazing computer, but other than "loading lag" (the lag you get on certain menus from it loading data into it) only lasts for a few seconds and I don't get any of the so-called "mouse lag" anywhere but the mid-game menu.

So, yes, it should be better, but it works. And it's not the only game with a map behind the menu.
yes, i get what you're saying. And the menu is barely functional. I can set up a game with it and it is useable.
but it has so many issues on the side that have accumulated to the point where it is
bordering on non-functional

OK? I'm not saying it isn't functional. I'm saying it is pretty damn close to non-functional.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
[SAS]Solid Snake;2207058 said:
For the love of kittens, please just edit your posts. There is no point to double post, triple posts,quadtruple posts and m-m-m-m-monster post!

Pretend I'm dumb and don't know exactly how to do this. What do I do? I just copy everything that I would otherwise put in a new post and then edit it into the previous post? Is there an easier way to do this?

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
The key word in sneh's post is "might". Unless you can definitively prove that it won't be - which I doubt you can - you saying it isn't is spreading just as much FUD as your assuming I'm saying it is does.

Oh yeah? We'll see who rusts first!

Why am I the only one who needs to prove my statements? The UI/HUD position describes the role of a graphic designer for user interfaces. Last time I checked people were complaining mostly about the functional requirements of the UT3 UI, not the graphics.

But, time will tell who's right and who's wrong. If I'm wrong, then I grant you the right to use the "elmuerte is wrong" tag.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Oh yeah? We'll see who rusts first!

Why am I the only one who needs to prove my statements? The UI/HUD position describes the role of a graphic designer for user interfaces. Last time I checked people were complaining mostly about the functional requirements of the UT3 UI, not the graphics.

But, time will tell who's right and who's wrong. If I'm wrong, then I grant you the right to use the "elmuerte is wrong" tag.
So you're saying people enjoy zooming text, sliders that control half a dozen options, and the piss-poor amount of options on the screen, as well as those WOOOOSH and BLUG and SWISSSH noises? :p

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004

I was thinking something similar to be honest, considering they are looking for someone who can also do promotional material/flash (motion graphics) the job doesnt seem to be limited to ingame material. We also cant assume they would be on the team relating to a UT game, Im pretty sure the UI position has been up on that site for longer then the producer one, like since before UT3 came out.

The look of the menu could use alittle work but its not a biggy if the functionality is there, there is however the link between form and function. To that end extra functionality might require more graphics.

One of the biggest problems graphically I see is that knowing what tab you are on via text alone is very, old way of thinking. Take a look at any program that uses tabs, now sure they might be in frames (boxed in) whatever you want to call it but one tab and page/panel is brought to the foreground by use of colour alone so you know which is active at a glance.

Dead end menus like advanced graphics arnt really needed, to me you should always be able to navigate a page to another and not just "accept/back". Epic has made this mistake time and time again, so not only is functionality important but also flow of menus. Id have to say in terms of flow UWindows is above the other UT menu's with perhaps 2k3 close behind.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
So you're saying people enjoy zooming text,
not really something a graph designer would create

sliders that control half a dozen options,
pure technical

and the piss-poor amount of options on the screen
pretty much completely technical (scrollbars do wonders)

, as well as those WOOOOSH and BLUG and SWISSSH noises? :p
more something for a sound department
besides, I thought people liked tactic feedback considering Windows has been loaded with sound effects since win95 (mainly the "browse" sound is annoying).

But to conclude, I'm not saying that anyone likes or dislikes certain parts, just that the job position doesn't have much to do with the majority of the UI complaints.

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
So you're saying people enjoy zooming text, sliders that control half a dozen options, and the piss-poor amount of options on the screen, as well as those WOOOOSH and BLUG and SWISSSH noises? :p

OMG that sounds just like the first time I used a Mac! :eek:
I had nightmares that night. :(