where to install the beta2 (ut3-steam-version)?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fireball1

Mar 9, 2010
1) do I need to install beta before beta2?

2) once I have downloaded the beta2, in which folder do I have to unzip the content of the zip?

( I have ut3 installed on steam, this may change the directories.
Though Steam is on d:\... , the cache and inis (and so on) are in subfolders of this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\Fireball Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\ ..... )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. the unrealcachextractor was not enough to make jb work offline.

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
1) do I need to install beta before beta2?
No.
2) once I have downloaded the beta2, in which folder do I have to unzip the content of the zip?

( I have ut3 installed on steam, this may change the directories.
Though Steam is on d:\... , the cache and inis (and so on) are in subfolders of this directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\Fireball Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\ ..... )
readme.txt in UT3JB-Beta2.zip said:
[...]
-----------------------------------------------------
Installation
-----------------------------------------------------

Zip version:
(Vista/2008/Win7)
Extract all files to C:\Users\Yourname\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\
if -nohomedir is being used:
extract to C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\ for the Disc version, or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\Published\CookedPC for the Steam version.
Drop the (x86) if using a 32 bit version of windows.

(XP)
Extract all files to C:\Documents and Settings\Yourname\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\
if -nohomedir is being used:
extract to C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\ for the Disc version, or
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\Published\CookedPC for the Steam version
Drop the (x86) if using a 32 bit version of windows.

(Replace C: with your drive letter if different)
[...]

P.S. the unrealcachextractor was not enough to make jb work offline.
Actually not very surprising. Only Unreal package files (.u/.upk./ut3) are downloaded by clients, but mods consist of more files than that and some of those additional files are required to actually start a game with the mod enabled.

fireball1

Mar 9, 2010
hmmmm....

I have XP and steam.

this folder from the description does NOT exist:
D:\Game\Steam2\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\UTGame\published\CookedPC

-----------------------------------

but this folder I have (with NO published):
D:\Game\Steam2\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC

and this folder I have:
C:\Documents and Settings\Fireball Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC
--------------------------------------

which of the two folders should I choose ?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
P.S. the utcachextractor extracts the files in these folders:
- .C:\Documents and Settings\Marc Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC and to the subfolders too:
- .C:\Documents and Settings\Marc Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Scripts
- .C:\Documents and Settings\Marc Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Maps
===> So I would guess, that the jb-beta2 also should be installed in this folder(s), rather than to
D:\Game\Steam2\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC

But better a pro tells me,
I dont want to screw my installation

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
which of the two folders should I choose?
Normally it's the Second one: ;)
C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName]\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Jailbreak

And the subfolders would be:
C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName]\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Jailbreak\Localization
C:\Documents and Settings\[YourUserName]\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Jailbreak\Maps
The Scripts folder does not exist...

Last edited:

fireball1

Mar 9, 2010
ok, then I choose the one as you advice me:
C:\Documents and Settings\Fireball Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\

the subfolders you mentioned
...\Jailbreak
...\Jailbreak\Localization
...\Jailbreak\Maps

... will be created automatically, right?, I just copy everything in "...\CookedPC", right?

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Yeah, if your WinZip (or any other compression program you're using) is configured to extract in subdirs, both the Jailbreak folder and the subfolders should be created automaticallly. :)