I know why the Lightning Gun sucks and how to fix it.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Mister Crow is cool. He can stay. Admit it, you like the announcer screaming out the voice of such a...unique character.

I heard someone mention that the lightning gun should sound like a crack of lightning. My answer is YES PLEASE DEAR GOD!

On another note, all the weapons in Unreal Tournament 200x don't sound impressive. Does anyone remember just how badass the sounds of an 8-ball were in Unreal? Or how exactly the flak cannon sounded? Hell, the freaking pulse gun had a damn good audio.

When I want to shoot rockets, I want them to sound like rockets. When I want to shoot a bolt of lightning, I want to hear the sound of thunder.

Thinking back on it, just the sounds of some of the most unique weapons of FPS were reasons I enjoyed UT so much.

At the very least can they change the sound of the damage amp? :)

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Trynant said:
In my opinion, the lightning gun does not suck. Except people always come back to flaming this one odd weapon.

I realize suddenly why this electric gun is so bad. Because people can see you after you let loose a shot? No. Because it has a slower rate of fire than in the previous UT? No. Because I'm a hot flaming uber sexy manz0r? Well, as hot as I may be, that has no relationship to the LG :)

Here's why the Lightning Gun is ultimate suck. IT SOUNDS LIKE CRAP. When the lightning gun fires, I get that eletric bullet sound, except it's incredibly unimpressive. I feel like I just touched a fabric softener instead of unloaded several thousand volts of death upon my enemy.

THE LIGHTNING GUN NEEDS TO SOUND LIKE A GUN! I've held air-rifles that are more intimidating. The solution is simple. Give the lightning gun a decent firing sound.

If something fires bolts of lightning, maybe it should sound like thunder? As it stands now, I feel like I'm rubbing my feet together on a rug and poking my enemy when using this weapon.

The point? The lightning gun would be infinitely cooler if it just gave the impression that the gun actually sounded like it was shooting bolts of lightning, and not overly charged fabric softener.

Oh I freakin agree with this so much. It needs to sound like a wicked sharp CRACK of lightning, and they could even add some thundery after-sounds like with the shock combo as well for added sweetness.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
I agree LG definately needs a sound which better reflects the nature of the weapon. On my laptop speakers it just sounds like fizzles but when I have my sub turned up on my desktop it actually sounds ok since I can hear the low frequency. Epic have mentioned they are making the UT2007 weapons look and feel more powerful (as well as actually doing more damage) and from the latest video of the shock rifle and barrels they seem to be making good progress.

skullmummy

Apr 8, 2006
The reason the LG sucks isn't because it sounds crappy. I never even payed attention to the sound. I think it sucks because like you said it gives away your position and takes to long to charge. I love sniping ppl but if they know where i am i can't snipe them and if i hit them once then they are going to be moving more so i need to shoot faster. Unless i get a head shot of course.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I have said the same thing ever since playing the UT2k4 demo. It should sound like a thunder clap, kind of like when you first start up the lightninggun/thunderbolt in Quake. Currently, it just sounds like a long squeze from a hair dresser's spray bottle or something.

I also think the flak shell explosion sounds terrible. In the weapons mutator I made last year, I just changed the flak shell to use the rocket explosion sound, because it actually sounded like something exploding.

For that matter, the assault rifle and link gun sounds are rather ****ty too. Someone should just make a sound effects replacement mod for UT2k4.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
yeah, sorry, can't miss an opportunity to defend wpn balance

But wait, there's more!
As far as vehicle weapon sounds go, the Goliath sounds pretty bad ass, but...then again it's a moving brick with a big boom-stick ontop; I'm glad Epic said they're making it feel more like a tank in '07. The manta and raptor sound find in my opinion, as well as the blade-sounds the scorpion makes.

But the Hellbender turret is another beam weapon I wish could sound better. For something with enough power to make a LG turn into a pellet rifle, a little more oomph is in order. And cars in UT2k4 don't impress in terms of audio (can't the scorpion has anything impressive at all :)). Their wheels sound like they should be put in matchbox cars, not in bloodfests.

I'm going to have to cite a certain game called Counter-Strike. Suck this mod may, the gun-sounds in that game are very, very well done. The AWP sounds like the badass 1-shot-kill weapon it is. It can be heard from across a level when it's fired, you know it's not good to get caught in a scope of one.

For that matter, a lot of the sounds from the original UT were impressive. Does the availabilty of more bytes for sounds produce crappier audio?

skullmummy said:
The reason the LG sucks isn't because it sounds crappy. I never even payed attention to the sound. I think it sucks because like you said it gives away your position and takes to long to charge. I love sniping ppl but if they know where i am i can't snipe them and if i hit them once then they are going to be moving more so i need to shoot faster. Unless i get a head shot of course.

Urgh, no, Lightning Gun does not need to change in gameplay aspects. UT has and will be based on frantic gunfests, and not as much sitting still trying to poke holes in enemies 300 yards away*.

[sarcasm]The sniper rifle is still in UT2004, and that doesn't give away you're position. Even better it looks like a real gun! All you need is a Counter-Strike outfit and you'll be ready to camp.[/sarcasm]

But err..yeah. The lightning gun. It looks cool. It shoots cool things. It balances out well in the game and is a prime candidate for most dangerous non-super weapon. A top dollar weapon, so I think epic should put their mouth where their money is :)

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
You know, I posted a while back on the subject of sound, and I got ripped to pieces with people shouting "The game isnt even out yet!stop criticsing it" despite the fact I stated very clearly in my first post that I got the sounds from an old gameplay video and I realised they would be working on new ones...

Anyway back on topic. I dont use the LG alot but it does sound real weak. It should sound of electric to the firer of the weapon whos holding it, but the person who gets shot should hear a thunderclap.

Pretty much all the weapons sound underpowered, as do the vehicles. If the hellbender is supposed to be some massively powerful hummer truck, why does it sound like a dirt bike?

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
SlipStreams_65 said:
You know, I posted a while back on the subject of sound, and I got ripped to pieces with people shouting "The game isnt even out yet!stop criticsing it" despite the fact I stated very clearly in my first post that I got the sounds from an old gameplay video and I realised they would be working on new ones...

Anyway back on topic. I dont use the LG alot but it does sound real weak. It should sound of electric to the firer of the weapon whos holding it, but the person who gets shot should hear a thunderclap.

:lol:
Yep that'll happen to you on forums, I said how too fix the lightning gun several times over the past few months with little response.

The fact that you don't hear a thunderclasp at a 1000000db makes it entirely unbelievable that your firing a lightning gun!

The Bolt isn't bright enough either!