Unreal Tournament DM Tips

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
This topic is my vain attempt to get some activity back into this board. It's simple. Just post some tips on how to best kill ones fellow man/alien for any UT you like. Lord knows I could use some tips anyway.

INB4 dont get shot hur dur

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
A couple of things I've seen mentioned here before are to time the power-ups, and to use movement for finer aim rather than attempting to be pixel-perfect with the mouse. I'm a terrible shot, so I don't mind just giving splash damage with rockets or the shock combo.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I'm better at UT than I ever was at 200X, with all of the double-jumping and what not, so my tips will probably be most effective in UT.

I'm a terrible shot, so I don't mind just giving splash damage with rockets or the shock combo.

What he said. Even if you have terrible precision you can still do very well with the splash damage from the flak or RL. I wasn't so good with the shombo or the rifle but I could place a flak shell almost anywhere.

When using the flak, jump and launch your shell at the apex of the jump to give it some extra distance for those long range shots.

A lot of people think the goo gun is useless; I disagree. Try loading it fully with Altfire and then dumping your load (har har) on a wall right in someone's path. If you time it right it's almost always an instakill. If not, it still does massive splash damage.

The translocater can be a very effective weapon (telefrag) in gametypes that use it.

In UT, the dodge jump can be used to 'lateral' yourself between two platforms very effectively. It'll take you a good bit farther than a regular jump.

Aside from those basic techniques there's really nothing special to it. Just keep moving and dodge a lot. Timing pickups like the shield belt can really allow you to dominate other players, because you decrease your chances of dying while also increasing theirs by depriving them of the pickup.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Using the cursor is true; pixel perfectness is difficult, it's often better to move the mouse more gently and let your movement take you to where you need to be to make the shot.

With the goo gun, you can keep a fully charged shot, then whilst still keeping it charged, switch to your next weapon of choice (Flak for me). When you release the goo, you'll autoswitch to the selected weapon.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Very good tips. Also, it's very important in TDM to stick with your teammates as much as possible. It sounds rather obvious but a lot of people love to forget it anyway.

And LISTEN. Footsteps can often give away your opponents position or at least warn you that they're near.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I've got a running thread on a few forums: Rules for playing ut99 online (silly version). Kind of the same thing.

Kinda, but not. This was to be the not silly version, I think...

Know the maps is important: shot timing and placement, movement, getting to and from powerups in a timely manner...on and on. No, it isn't the deciding factor (skill can always prevail I suppose), but I have always found this to be quite important.

Also, from a defensive standpoint, know the flow of the map and don't follow it too closely. You have to be somewhat unpredictable in your movements because - and this is the offensive part - one thing i learned from watching the 'pros' was that player location prediction is also very important. Understanding where people tend to be and when they tend to be there is a big part of winning matches.

Know the map, work against predictability for defense, predict for offense.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I forgot about this little trick :D The rocket launcher's Altfire does the same thing doesn't it?

Yep, though much less useful since the Rocket primary fire is pretty solid, whereas I'd never use the Biogun primary out of choice and would be unlikely to want to charge a second shot if I missed!

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
If you 're going to shoot down into some hallway just in case, shoot down the middle of it. Just like bots, people tend to stay right in the middle, unless the hallway is very wide.

I forgot about this little trick :D The rocket launcher's Altfire does the same thing doesn't it?

IIRC in classic UT if you click alt-fire while loading multiple rockets it will change the pattern of the salvo. By default it's spreaded, if you click alt-fire, rocket will launch in tight circle. I think it was the same way in UT2004/4 as well. In UT3, while loading rockets with alt-fire, one click on primary will change filing pattern to spiral, two clicks will switch firing mode to grenades.

Last edited:

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
protip2010.jpg

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Keep moving, except when following someone around corner. Then, you want to hesitate and maybe even go another way because ambush is waiting.:)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
A couple of things I've seen mentioned here before are to time the power-ups, and to use movement for finer aim rather than attempting to be pixel-perfect with the mouse. I'm a terrible shot, so I don't mind just giving splash damage with rockets or the shock combo.

Be careful about perfect timing, because others can do that as well. You might pick up a shock combo instead of that shield. Delaying item pickup may also mess up your opponent's timing. He may be early and eat the big bio glob instead.

Timing pickups and collecting weapons and ammo isn't your thing? Try InstaGib or Last Man Standing variations like Team Arena Master instead. InstaGib is just point-and-click combat, but it never gets boring if you e.g. also chase after flags.

Point-and-click isn't your thing? Try Onslaught/Warfare or Assault Racing instead. The main skill here is to steer vehicles and use their superior fire power in (hopefully) strategic ways.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
ut

you can dodge up very steep slopes, DavidM overused that in dm-lego if you need to check it out.