Escape to Na Pali: A Journey to the Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Eurogamer has posted an article titled "Why Unreal Deserves to be Remembered Alongside Half-Life", featuring an excerpt of the upcoming magazine "Escape to Na Pali: A Journey to the Unreal" by Kaitlin Tremblay and Alan Williamson. It reads a bit like a love-letter to the landmark game we all know so well... Unreal (thanks Kal976).

Ultimately, Unreal's story is not one of stopping the Skaarj menace and playing the hero. It is a melancholic tale in a world we are powerless to save: every human we meet is already dead, and every Nali we meet is never far away from danger. We're only ever saving our own skin, destroying an alien base and then fleeing the crime scene in search of another way off this wretched paradise. Tonally, it's much closer to Fallout 3 or Dark Souls than the "M-M-M-MONSTER KILL" hijinks of Unreal Tournament. Sometimes, as we wander around a deserted cargo bay waiting to be ambushed by an enemy hiding in the dark, it is more reminiscent of a survival-horror game than a shooter. And that's fitting because you're only just surviving Unreal, never conquering or mastering it."

The portions posted on the Five Out of Ten website appear as though they examine many of the levels in detail, pointing out a few of the design decisions that helped to propel Unreal into a category of games that deserves a spot among the very best. The magazine is reported to be going on sale today and we hope to bring you more.

LivingPuppet

Registered Puppet
Sep 13, 2003
Tiny Toy Town of Terror
Visit site
Half-Life was decent, but just the music in Unreal1 alone made it a better experience than that game. Not to mention that the gameplay, the weapons, the fights in Unreal1 were more fun too. Unreal deserved more recognition and I believe is probably one of the most underrated games of all time. Let's not forget that Unreal brought us the dodging mechanic, which I'm surprised more FPS games didn't bite off of. Other fps games feel kind of weird and slow without it.

Heh I remember getting Unreal1 at around October of '98 and it was running probably under 5 fps and no music on my Pentium 120mhz, which was well below the minimum system requirements. Eventually upgraded, and the game was pretty playable. I miss those multiplayer lobbies and that jail cell you'd be in between maps. I used to play on WON.net as well. Getting owned a lot in Deathmatch and then shown things like the ASMD combo and told never to run in a straight line by better players.

Sadly, there were patches like the 220patch that made my game crash on the launcher, and had to hold on for a newer patch to play again.

I used to host a coop listen server on my 56k connection, playing nightly as a Skaarj Trooper(getting in certain places was a bitch with that skin though) nightly for a period and people would join. :lol: The single player experience was pretty much unmatched at the time. I still go back to it fairly often, because it is so damn fun. I could go on and on about this game. It was the first fps I played online too.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I just picked up the book for £2.50 and it is well worth it.