UT3 storyline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
The game doesnt need to be oozing story all it needs is enough to motivate the player to keep progressing, the ladder alone wont do that.
true, but a ladder is all i need. I suppose you mean that having a straight ladder and nothing else storywise won't work. but having a plain ladder with some sort of plot behind it would be fine.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah you need some kind of progression there with alittle bit of a story, like 2k4 has the training matches then works up to picking your team or Mortal Kombat has characters in chains in the background on certain levels. Its more of that pull type story I guess in the flavour of the month words.

The ladder can be split linear as well to move away from basic you have to win a match to progress, you could make it so losing a match on a certain map leads to a story branch or something. You can even base it on the character selection so it depends on which character you play as, for people who dont want to get deep into the story it wont affect them a great deal but for people that do it'll offer them a chance to go alittle deeper.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Well sir, I'm glad you like UT 3 and enjoy the storyline. That's your personal opinion, which I respect, so here's mine...

Compared to the other UT games, at least Epic did go out of their way to include a story for SP instead of just a ladder where you only get background stuff from character & map descriptions. But when you stack it up against their last Unreal game UC2, it really does fall flat on it's face.

The whole point of a story is for the main character to progress and mature in some way, it's been that way since Gilgamesh was written. Reaper is a complete tool. Seriously, he's so blinded by the need for personal revenge that he doesn't even want to see the overall picture of why his team is really fighting the Necris. Sorry for some spoiling, but after he did kill Akasha it cost him the life of his teammates just so he can "get revenge". Does he realize the fultility of it after getting royally screwed? Nope! He just wants to kill somebody else... :rolleyes:

Now let's look at the UC2 storyline. Anubus enters the Asention Rites to stop Selket (his ex-fiancee, ouch!) from handing the whole emipre over to greedy Liandri. Our friend Malcom (a better color commentator than corporate mercenary) sees what's really going on behind the scenes and tries to warn Anubus. But Anubus still continues his personal agenda. However he does have honorable reasons for the things he does, including leaving the last Rites. Even when he does win, the ending is very tragic and that's when he finds out what's really happening...only it's too late to do anything about it. Anubus realised that there is always something bigger going on than what he personally perceived before, and Reaper didn't.

It's a shame that Epic had a real nice concept before about the Necris invading the planet in the middle of a Tournament, but like everything else it was cut down and rushed out the door. So not only got silly stuff like FLaGs, but the worse vocal acting and plotline since Unreal 2. And that's how I feel about it...

BTW, this is just the story from the cutscenes and has no bearing to the actual gameplay. :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I have never played the console Unreal titles, any of them.
The storyline isn't original or anything but it fits the game and it kept me fighting too, even if it was annoying at times, I just think it's done right and that was the purpose of it, I don't think the storyline tried to do any better, no, it was supposed to be like that in most of ways.
I don't see it as fail.
Anyway I tried yesetrday playing online with ut3 but I guess I need new computer before that because its just mainly unplayable for me online on the laptop because of the sudden fps drops here and there. So I'll stick to bots or join coop game sometimes even if that will lag me as well. Hmm strange was that at maps like gateway it didn't lag me and that was when there was nobody at the server. Anyway I guess I need better HW for playing online.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I'd post my thoughts on the storyline, but I already did that in the BU review. See the Campaign section.

That said, UT3's story could've been better, could've been worse. If you were expecting a MGS-style tour-de-force/Movie with interactive moments, you got disappointed, but I think their attempt to make it less like a series of botmatches was at least admirable.

Shame it wasn't like UC2's though. I never played UC2 (I lack an XBox) but from what I hear its story was really good.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
But when you stack it up against their last Unreal game UC2, it really does fall flat on it's face.

The whole point of a story is for the main character to progress and mature in some way, it's been that way since Gilgamesh was written. Reaper is a complete tool. Seriously, he's so blinded by the need for personal revenge that he doesn't even want to see the overall picture of why his team is really fighting the Necris. Sorry for some spoiling, but after he did kill Akasha it cost him the life of his teammates just so he can "get revenge". Does he realize the fultility of it after getting royally screwed? Nope! He just wants to kill somebody else... :rolleyes:

Now let's look at the UC2 storyline. Anubus enters the Asention Rites to stop Selket (his ex-fiancee, ouch!) from handing the whole emipre over to greedy Liandri. Our friend Malcom (a better color commentator than corporate mercenary) sees what's really going on behind the scenes and tries to warn Anubus. But Anubus still continues his personal agenda. However he does have honorable reasons for the things he does, including leaving the last Rites. Even when he does win, the ending is very tragic and that's when he finds out what's really happening...only it's too late to do anything about it. Anubus realised that there is always something bigger going on than what he personally perceived before, and Reaper didn't.

Hell yeah! I loved Unreal Championship II. For one, the story was actually B+ level (maybe even A- with a good reviewer), but Unreal Tournament 3's storyline was so... mediocre. See below for elaboration and examples.

So not only got silly stuff like FLaGs, but the worse vocal acting and plotline since Unreal 2. And that's how I feel about it...

Jester: "The plan is simple. Blow the enemy core, just in time for dinner."
Othello: "What IS for dinner anyway?"
Jester: "Tch ! Wanna take a guess? More noodles?!"

Me: "I've got the flag!"
Jester: "You mean... Field Lattice Generator?"
Bishop: "Looks like a flag, feels like a flag... It's a flag."

Jester: "Watch for the Leviathan!"
*unknown Ronin member*: "Really? They have a Leviathan on this field?"
Othello: "Ohhhh.... yeah!"
Jester: "You already blow up enough stuff"
Why did they repeat this one twice in the campaign? It was annoying to hear the EXACT SAME dialogue the second time I played Serenity.

Last edited:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
The story was awful. Not that I fault them for that, you can't pull much of a story out of a game like this, but keeping that in mind, why did they have to make the "story" such a big focus? Sure, the cut-scenes and stuff "looked pretty," but I wish they would have diverted all the resources they spent on that stuff into one of the many areas of the game that needed improvement. Or maybe console players wouldn't buy something without SP cut-scenes of big colorful characters?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Or maybe console players wouldn't buy something without SP cut-scenes of big colorful characters?
That's pretty much it, I think.

Although, it's all highly contradictory. They said before release that 50% or more of the players never go online and that they would focus a lot of attention on stuff for them. Yet so many useful offline features (saving game settings and mutators, for instance) are missing it's appalling.

/shrug

Probably just a side-effect of having the game pushed out the door by Midway six months early. Incomplete software tends to suck, after all.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I still think it was definately best UT SP experience................in UT3, you just have to understand it and not expect some deep storyline or anything, I think it was pretty fun as it was and saw only few negative things in it, otherwise pretty good job, I believe it's underrated and misunderstood by most of ppl.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
...I believe it's underrated and misunderstood by most of ppl.
:lol:

I don't believe that anyone misunderstood the story line. Lets face it, it was paper thin and a complete pile of predictable hogwash. It had as much depth to it as an empty bird bath.

Equally the story (if you can even call it that) isn't underrated. I think most people (after the hype it got) were simply expecting something a bit more interesting. With possibly at least an attempt to make the inevitable plot twist less transparent.

To be fair .. the only games that spring to mind with half decent plot twists are the Max Payne games (the 2nd one rather than the first one) and Bioshock. And the plot twist in Bioshock is > *.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I'm not saying it had "great" storyline in a sense you think of it, I am saying it was fine touch for the game and fitted it, I would like complicated storyline less, this storyline played role in the game as in the old days of doom (although the original storyline (see: doom bible) was going to be rich but they dropped it and made the simple one) etc.

Max Payne 2? Don't remind me that ****, it satnds for me as one of the worst games ever I tried, thanks and I played only a bit at friend. It even ripped an area from hl redemption or something.

Last edited:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Max Payne 2? Don't remind me that ****, it satnds for me as one of the worst games ever I tried, thanks and I played only a bit at friend. It even ripped an area from hl redemption or something.

Don't ****ING DISS Max Payne 2, it had one of the most emotionally compelling cello solos in its soundtrack. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hate you now. :mad: <--
25% joke (so I don't get banned) 75% serious (look, I'm a cellist, give me a break)

music link

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I didn't talk about music anyway, the game was horrible and overrated and that's it for me.
I like UT3 storyline and as I said it before, I think it is good game and I like it more than ut2004.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Max Payne 2 was a satire in all its complexity. Did you only scratch the surface and say, "Oh, it's just a corny emo cop who dies in the end like in Romeo and Juliet"?

The whole point we're trying to make here is that UT3's storyline doesn't have anything below its surface. UT3's story is just... what's the word for it? B-movie quality. It's basic. A 10-year-old could've dreamed up the story. Ever seen Pearl Harbor?

Max Payne 2? There were nuances in that game, subplots, parodies on a lot of pop culture elements. Plus the music helped to smother out the satire, fooling the quick-game player but making the smart gamer chuckle in all its worth.

This is all UT3 is.
ut31dt9.jpg

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I don't need to see that comic for third time already, thanks. Stop posting it over again :rolleyes:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
The ideas behind the story are actually good, but the execution is cheesy and aweful.

The respawner as a physical piece of millitary hardware was a fantastic idea. I love the idea of small squads of paramilitary super soldiers duking it out in low key guerilla style warfare.

This should have been merely the background story, to flesh out the universe and its history. There still should have been an actual tournament.

Plenty of games have trite plots about goodies and baddies fighting in a cataclysmic war and they're boring. Not very many have and intergalactic tournament going on. I think the sporting aspect, fighting just to win actually resonates with more people. It doesn't have lame moral baggage and people love competition. Think GTA!!!

I think the story should be based on the fun competing and purely wanting your character to win the tournament!!

No UT character should ever say "Controlled bursts, watch for civilians" :(

Last edited:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
I don't need to see that comic for third time already, thanks. Stop posting it over again :rolleyes:

Gee, I like how you avoided everything intellectual in my other post (except for the satirical comic) and went STRAIGHT for the easiest material, the comic.

Look, man, you're giving off a really bad impression of yourself, and I know you can be smarter than that, so put your brain to your posts instead of your ego-defenses. Your last post is VERY reflective of you trying to last-resort defend your ego.

Neil, you're not being intellectual. He doesn't have to agree with you, and you don't have to agree with him. Nobody is really buying UT3 for its SP, but if Leo wants to praise the storyline (as little as there may be) for doing something he feels is different from the standard UT premise, then let him. Who cares? It's not like he's saying it was Hemingway for crap's sake.

Max Payne sucks btw :D

Last edited: