ut2k7 demo release

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
That's a plausible speculation, truegamer. I figured the demo would emerge sometime in August, too. They have released the full game shortly after the demos before, but I think that's a bad idea. Give it more time, I say.

EDIT: I have found those old, very early production vids of the each game often show some interesting models/maps/features that unfortunately don't make it into the final game.

Last edited:

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
Lopar-XL said:
EDIT: I have found those old, very early production vids of the each game often show some interesting models/maps/features that unfortunately don't make it into the final game.

I actually collect them exactly for this reason.... the leaks too. It's always fun looking back.

Vance

Dec 7, 2005
Marion, VA
I don't think it will be a demo but more of beta test
saying that u may have to be a full member of a download place or pick ppl from the ut fan forms
or too get ppl to see if ther pc can run it to the max

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Epic need to emphasise that online play is what people *should* be playing.

Miko said:
Can i say something here that might stir some thought.. Didnt Epic rlease ut2003 in summer/fall 2002?

UT99: November 1999
UT2003: November 2002
UT2004: Spring 2004

I rekon the very earliest you'll get UT4 is summer 2006. It could be earlier, but that would worry me, because last time Epic had a new engine UT, they screwed it up by releasing it before a long time it was ready.

I'd rather Epic delayed it until it was ready for online play than release it early and unfinished.

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
The Ut2003 demo came out in November of 2002 also... it actually came out just barely a week before the game went gold.

I strongly feel that Epic should run a series of beta tests once the content side of the game is completed. It'll help with bug squashing and stuff.

Actually, I'm going to post this over at the Epic forums to try to get their attention on the idea. Posted: here. Everybody go post in that thread and talk about how good of an idea this is!

[edit]
Selerox said:
I rekon the very earliest you'll get UT4 is summer 2006. It could be earlier, but that would worry me, because last time Epic had a new engine UT, they screwed it up by releasing it before a long time it was ready.

It wasn't that they screwed it up by releasing it early... UT2003 had a lot of shortfalls mainly because of content. I personally had a lot of fun with ut2003, but there were other things that couldn't make it by the time the game went gold (i.e. completed flowing vehicle support, and they thought they had a good grasp on the game modes but they really didn't.)

The changes we saw in UT2004 were basically changes suggested by the community, other than the engine optimization we saw (that was just Epic taking the opportunity to tweak it a bit).

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Epic know how to bounce community ideas...

truegamer said:
I strongly feel that Epic should run a series of beta tests once the content side of the game is completed. It'll help with bug squashing and stuff.

Agreed, but they won't do it. Professional players (lauke, evenflow and others) have already made open offers in person to beta test the game for free and not just for the sake of the "pro" gamers. These are also people who've played UT games more than Epic have. Epic said no. Infact, Epic never even bothered to reply.

I think the chances of major improvements being made to the game from the comments made by a publc beta test are virtually nil. The ammount of weird, unbalanced or just plain bad ideas would be massive. As would the solid wall of whining from just about everyone.

I'd like to see long term in-production private beta testing done by selected and trusted members of the UT community (both UT99 and UT200x) from all levels of player skill (not just the "pros"). I think that'd definitly give the best balance for everyone.

One thing I believe shouldn't happen is Epic relying on purely their own beta testing. Back during the development of both UT99 and UT200x they failed to spot (or completely discount) a lot of things that were very easy for most players to pull off. They didn't think anyone could possibly get to the top of the ridge in UT99's CTF-LavaGiant, which people could not only get up there, they could cross the entire map via telepunting. During UT2004 development, Mark "Dumbass" Rein said that Epic didn't think it was possible to shoot down a Raptor with a shock rifle, which is something that's well within the reach of any experienced (or even competant) player.

Private beta testing is what UT4 needs, but I don't think it'll get it.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
selerox said:
UT2003: November 2002

truegamer said:
The Ut2003 demo came out in November of 2002 also... it actually came out just barely a week before the game went gold.

Eh, eh. Both of you are wrong.

Demo was released in september 2002. The 13th I think. Flooded the official forums and irc channel, iirc.
Then the game got released in early october 2002. I know for sure. Why you ask? I've saved the receipt =) It says "october the 9th 2002".

But didn't some countries get the game later on? I think it was a worldwide release, back then, but I could be wrong.

Lopar-XL

Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
Selerox said:
I think the chances of major improvements being made to the game from the comments made by a publc beta test are virtually nil. The ammount of weird, unbalanced or just plain bad ideas would be massive. As would the solid wall of whining from just about everyone.

Good point there. UT2003 was rushed to "completion" so that it could be used in the CPL tournament. :mad: :stick:

I would rather have the game delayed multiple times than have it pushed out the door before its time.

the head

Dec 3, 2005
seen the news?the ps3 version of the game will be launched on spring 2006,in the same magazine jeff moris said that the ps3 version is still in its basics,now that meens that the pc release which will come out sooner will be on Q1-2 06.

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
Well there was mention in some magazine article somplace that UT2k7 would be out in the first quarter (it was a PC game magazine that said it... CGW maybe, I can't remember). Also, Ut2k7 is a launch title for the PS3, so whenever the PS3 comes out, we can expect Ut2k7 to come out then as well. And, since it was initially being developed on the PC, we can expect it to be out before the PS3.

\/\/\/ the head \/\/\/ said:
tolld ya,dont forget that ut2k7 maybe released to the X-boX360 & if im not mistaking to MAC as well.

That point is irrelevent. Those will both come out, if they come out, after it's out on PC.

Last edited:

the head

Dec 3, 2005
tolld ya,dont forget that ut2k7 maybe released to the X-boX360 & if im not mistaking to MAC as well.

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
I still think truegamer's original verbose essay will prove to be pretty accurate. I don't think much of this self-promoting magazine hype.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
I agree with Truegamer and Selerox's info. I'm thinking November 2006 because it will be closer to Christmas, which will mean increase of sales.

Last edited:

Lopar-XL

Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
Rk. said:
Why are there so many bad sarcasm/ironism jokers around?

If I'm not mistaken, it was Jimmy Durante who once said "Everybody is a comedian", or something like that. He said that with more than a little sarcasm.

Back on the topic, I think it would be awfully immature of one to be disgusted at Midway/Epic for releasing the demo after the console system launch. In fact, I'm all for it; it would give them more time for feedback on bug reports and suggestions.