UTComp features in 2k7

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I'm especially looking forward to the coloured names and warmup features, however some things like bright skins should not be included because I've heard Epic is making the skins very visible to see by DEFAULT.

But instead of rambling my thoughts, I'll let UTComp speak for itself...

http://ut2004.gameamp.com/ut2004/viewUtcomp

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
I like how fast the utcomp menu is to navigate through. It would be nice if all the important in-game settings could be available to the player through a fast menu-like utcomp and then the more extensive menu of options could be accessed by pressing esc and going through the slower menu.

It would also be nice if there was a server setting that enabled the team status on the upper left side of the screen so you can see exactly how much life each teammate has and what weapon they are using and what location and etc.

I liked utcomp's more in-depth weapon stats.

It looked sexier too.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm looking forward to there being strict blocks in place that disallow mutators like UTcomp from working period.

If only we lived in such a world...

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Oh plz let that mut die a miserable death which imho it needed to do long ago.

UT is supposed to be fun and muts like that just ruin it full stop :mad:

[EDIT] :eek: dunno' what came over me, nothing against the developers but I always hated that mut and vented my frustration here :)

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you also hated TTM, angst++; since UTcomp is a port of TTM.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
If said mutators could "even the ground" without destorying weapon balance, I'd be all for them. At least due to that balance, certain features will never be stock in any UT sequel. I do hope epic does all they can to eliminate a need for it, seeing as how that is probably the only way you'll get close to simply banning mutators of said style.

I've always like colored names, but if I wanted warm up, I'd just play IA a map before hoppin' online. It has some uses, but is highly overrated.

Maybe Id can start sueing people for infringement on their hit-sounds... that would be cool.

Epics weapon stats are actually quite useful for stock gametypes. The only time I've ever really liked in depth accuracy/fired/hit stats is playing gametypes where you spawn with everything.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Bullet10k said:
I'm especially looking forward to the coloured names and warmup features, however some things like bright skins should not be included because I've heard Epic is making the skins very visible to see by DEFAULT.

But instead of rambling my thoughts, I'll let UTComp speak for itself...

http://ut2004.gameamp.com/ut2004/viewUtcomp

If brightskins could be taken out from the default settings then I could maybe learn to enjoy UTcomp. I have always hated it because of that.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
If said coders determine problems with "player visisiblity" then yes, it being ported is a threat.

They have basically two goals: 1) Level playing field (which concept they abuse sharply) and 2) Add features they feel should be stock in the game.

It really all depends on how retail plays. My only fear, is that even if they make it tight like UT was, that the whole concept of Comp, and it's features will show up again, becasue they "know they can" now. They can port the base code, I'm sure.

Persefone

Ms God!
Jun 2, 2005
If that happens I think Epic should steps in. UTComp gives a very bad image of UT and it can do to UT2K7´s online success an irreparable damage.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I meant that some of the UTComp features should be in 2k7 by DEFAULT, NOT the UTComp mutator itself coming for 2k7. Like I want coloured names and warmup feature by DEFAULT in RETAIL when it ships.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
As long as they don't do a new newnet, I'm all for UTComp. The screenshots I've seen show the player models just like they are in UT2004: nearly completely invisible by being colored to blend in with the background just because it looks good and realistic. I understand Epic wanting to make a pretty game, but if they want anyone to take their game seriously as a competitive vessel, there should be options to enable such things that do even the playing ground (like a menu option to force models instead of having to rely on someone else who knows how to INI h4x). Otherwise companies like CPL are going to look past UT again in favor of something that seems more competitive. Hitsounds I don't particularly care about, though I do enjoy the sound of the pings when I shoot someone. I don't know what it is about them, but I like them. Glow skins aren't necessarily the answer to player visibility, but we can't have models like in this screenshot. Imagine that guy from a distance - he'd seriously be f*cking camoflagued into the map. That's stupid for this type of game. I don't know what they should do about player visibility, but they've got to do something, or else a mutator like UTComp is inevitable. Sure, the lights on the shoulder in UT2003 looked retarded, but they only did it because they knew they f*cked up the player visibility.

Now, I'm not one to bash UTComp because I do think it has some great features that vanilla UT2004 needed (map/gametype switching while in a map, changing crosshairs without jumping into the menu, etc.). Newnet doesn't necessarily even the ground, and yes, it does screw up the way the game is played, but it's served its purpose. The whole reason it was created was to make it easier for serious clans to agree on a match server without either team being forced to take on a crap ping. They wanted it, and they got it. Dislike it all you want, but if you're using it outside of the area it was intended that's your fault. As for the newnet itself, the problems with it are a screwed up weapon balance - the game is even more hitscan dominant than it would have been otherwise - and even though it touted that uneven pings would seem even, it's really not the case. A higher ping - up to a point - will actually have an easier time hitting people, at least that's what I've noticed time and time again. Then you get into severe discrepancies between what both players are seeing and what the server decides is a hit from both of them and things start feeling totally different than stock net. I'm sure Raffi will come in here and tell me I'm wrong, but that's my experience with it and I'm sticking by my observations.

Last edited:

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
I would like lots of the features in UTComp to be in UT2007 as options. A lot of people like to play with skins that are visable, with hitsounds, forcemodels, etc so why not give them the options to do so? If Epic doesn't include the options in the game you can be 100% sure that there will be a mutator made, just like UTComp and TTM. In fact list of features for such a mutator is probably being made before the game is even released...

I honestly don't see the big deal with UTComp, it's no different then any other mutator, it changes the game in some ways, but so do every other mutator. So what makes UTComp so terrible? Is it the fact that some people prefer to have a game where the modelchoice and what team (color) you end up in gives you either an advantage or disadvantage? Or is it just the fact that it looks ugly?

I would rather see Epic eliminating the need for a mutator such as UTComp with some of the features that are in UTComp... It probably wouldnt be hard for them to do not to mention that they would probably to a much better job... what does it hurt if they are serverside settings or mutators anyway?

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Well, as long as they make all models equally visible, whether that be excessively visible or not, then I'll be happy.

Player visibility wasn't a problem in 2kx, it was a balance. The problem was models like Abbadon, and Matrix, who were less visible then the rest. Preventing certain models from giving you a tactical advantage in game is what the focus needs to be on.

If everyone can't see anything, then there is not uneven ground to level out, hence comp would then just be catering to the whiners. As much as I hate brightskins, so long as you can't stop abbadon from being selected, I'm all for them. If everyone was as visible as gorge, they wouldn't be needed at all. Hence, I say again, at equal visibility between all models, there is no problem.

...and as far as ini vs gui, I hardly see the problem. If you are playing enough to whine about something like that, you should be more then capable of looking it up on the net. My view on that is probably substantially biased, but I wasn't always an INI haxor. I did play Quake and Doom all GUI configed only.

Nosnos

Nali
Jan 6, 2003
Stockholm
www.unrealnorth.com
In terms of the skins what I think is needed is this:
- Clearly visible teamskins for at least a couple of the skins (like the Epic style brightskins in UTComp, looks good and is visible)
- Ability to force the skin you think is the most visible
- Ability to pick the color for the enemy/teammates so that you dont get any advantage from being in one particular team

Wishful thinking:
- Several teamcolors to chose from

And as far as hitsounds goes, they dont need to have those "unrealistic" sounds that you have in UTComp. Doesnt matter what they sound like as long as you hear them :)

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
You know that glow feature in 2k4, if you look at one of the shock rifle screen shots it has a "fitted glow" somthing liek that would look alot better than brightskins imo.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
You want to know why UT2004's online player base has been laid to waste?

UTComp is why.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Nemephosis said:
You want to know why UT2004's online player base has been laid to waste?

UTComp is why.
ERR...NO. UTComp has nothing to do with ut2k4's playerbase btw.

Neways, it's mostly because of ut2k4's difficulty and floatiness which is going to be fixed in 2k7. Now ofcourse, there are many many other factors such as people not liking the the unreal style (laser guns that go 'p-chew p-chew', instead they want grenades with 'BOOM BOOM' like in CS), etc., but MOSTLY its because of the difficulty and floatiness. Why does ut99 have more players than 2k4? Because of the floatiness.

(believe it or not according to CSports.net ut99 has more players than 2k4)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
FWIW: Warm-up DOES have a place in the retail game. Competing players should be able to get a feel for the server before starting the match. Mind you, outside of a competitive environment, it's largely unnecessary.

I really believe Epic when they say that player scale will be fixed and players will be more visible. I'm not going by the beta screens to tell me that though.

Having positive feedback, in terms of hit sounds, is very good imo. However, they don't necessarily have to sound like plinking the side of a garbage can.

Status
Not open for further replies.