I don't get it...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
I dont want it to look realistic. I just want it to look like a flak cannon, perhaps like UT's original flak cannon or even Unreal 1's flak cannon. Those all looked really nice for their times and they got the point across as "this gun shoots some really badass sh!t" But this new flak looks more like. "Well you got your flak cannon here in the middle, and some really cool shiny machinery here and the nice areas for cutting vegetables over here and there are some three pronged plugs over here!"

Realism has nothing to do with it, it's about getting the feel for it. More polys doesnt necesarrily have to mean more added crap onto a model.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I love the new Flakcannon. Its big mean and ugly. and has the sort of mech look like the matrix had :D

BTW, why are people complaining about it looking Unrealistic.
Remember the game is called UNREAL!!!!

NiteX

Unreal Junky
Feb 11, 2004
La
edhe said:
Maybe let the designers and modellers express themselves? :)

Chunky Chunky ! /me wants to see the ASMD.

Do you care for the ASMD on UC2? I think it looks pretty great especially the beams in the front of the weapon. It is definitely a change from the older ones. I also just noticed the UC2 flak cannon is really similar to the Flak cannon in the UT3 pics. I saw someone say something about that before.

Last edited:

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
The_Head said:
BTW, why are people complaining about it looking Unrealistic.
Remember the game is called UNREAL!!!!
My question is: Why are people complaining about people complaining that it's unrealistic? :lol: I just quickly re-read the thread -- I don't see any complaints about lack of realism.

I think the thread starter and myself mentioned that it appears to have excessive, clunky details added just because they have the polygon economy to do so. It's just a preference in visual style -- not a complaint regarding lack of realism. The old cliché "sometimes less is more" comes to mind.

I prefer the original UT's Flak Cannon. It felt massive (which I like) but it had a more rounded, sleek design to it.

As Azura implied (I think ;) ), the current Envy model seems to have a baroque quality to it; it seems to feature excessive ornamentation which I personally see as clunky.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Go&nd said:
I prefer the original UT's Flak Cannon. It felt massive (which I like) but it had a more rounded, sleek design to it.

Yeah, that's what I'd call a flak cannon. The newer versions just didn't work for me (I tried! Don't say I didn't!).

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
Yeah, I feel the same way as NN and Go. THe classic flack just loked like it was meant to shred ****. It was simple, but mean, and ugly. it got the point across that there was no messing around with the user.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Daedalus said:
I'm sure by now you've all seen the screenshots an while it looks amazing, I can't help but notice that the weapons are getting...more accesorized and less practical. I mean, look at that flak cannon model. Only about 5% looks like it actually needs to be there. Yes high poly counts are great and all but just throwing a bunch of useless looking wires and junk onto a model is not. I hope all of the weapons don't look that accesorized.

Its for the Kids. :)

NiteX

Unreal Junky
Feb 11, 2004
La
Daedalus said:
I guess you have to start putting the weaponry equivalent of car body kits onto things nowadays to get people interested ;)

Heh, to tell you the truth some games already have neon lights on weapons. Well not exactly huge neon blubs that you see on cars. I'm talking about the little glow effects all over the model. Just look at the character models and the maps on UC2, full of little lights. It is really pleasing to the eye though. I actually hope to see more of this in UT3.