Remake of CTF-Maul?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Old thread, but I just don't see how Maul or Citadel could possibly work with UT3 movement.

flak-spammer

flak-spammer literally
May 20, 2005
Canada
Citadel most certainly wouldn't, I don't think maul would be much a problem. Although I agree it would be nice to see some of the maps like Maul and Citadel come into UT3.

Edit: Oh and Colawars...just for the hell of it.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Half of the carrier routes would be useless with UT3 movement.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Even tho Maul was up there as one of my favorite UT2kx CTF maps around, I believe the one that really takes top honors from me would most likely be CTF-MoonDragon, that one's worth revisiting, imo.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Even tho Maul was up there as one of my favorite UT2kx CTF maps around, I believe the one that really takes top honors from me would most likely be CTF-MoonDragon, that one's worth revisiting, imo.

Agreed, that map does look and feel like it's made for UT3 except for the lame Nightmare music.

As for a CTF-Maul remake, I'm not saying anything since I'm not too big on the original...

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Old thread, but I just don't see how Maul or Citadel could possibly work with UT3 movement.

(yeah old thread indeed, sorry for digging it up everyone, but since i'm remaking Maul ..)

There's actually a remake of Citadel already. (its not too shabby either)
(it works quite well, we play it all the time when we have our LAN parties) IMO one of the most important thing with remakes is to get the scale correct, the trouble with UT3 is the heavier gravity, since you can't dodge or jump as far or as high you need to reduce the scaling to even things out, TBH i didn't like UT3 movement at first after getting used to 2K4, it felt sluggish, now after playing UT3 for a couple of years when i go back in 2K4 to reference a map (Maul for example) i can't handle the movement in 2K4, it feels like choppy bounce-a-thon and too cartoonish.

You can find Citadel here in this list ..
http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=719833

Here's some WIP on CTF-Maul UT3 ..

[SCREENSHOT]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/1-Xtreme/Maul/Maul.jpg?t=1280370052[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/1-Xtreme/Maul/Maul1.jpg?t=1280370052[/SCREENSHOT]

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
P.S. BTW, i would never use someone else's thread to promote my WIP or otherwise, obviously i think its safe to assume hal appears to have abandon his work? i posted in this thread because it was essentially the only thing i could find with any reference to this map for UT3.

I figured i'd post the screenshots here also since i had previously posted them on the Epic forums as well.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Well, I go back to Q3A a lot, and think that the movement is at least on par more with UT3 than UT2004, depending on the type of map. Of course, Q3A may not have the same vast gameplay modes that any of the UT games do, but for your run-of-the-mill DM or CTF map, and even 1-on-1/Duel maps, I can see that there's plenty between both franchises that have good possibilities. Had Maul been made in Radiant for Q3A or Quake 4 Multiplayer, then we'd have another dilemma. Maybe I'm trying too hard to be a diplomat here, but...I just feel that the Q3A vs. UT fanwars should just cease fire already. We all agree that both make great PC games, both make great multiplayer competition FPS games, and both have very steady modding and mapping communities behind them, so one side doesn't claim victory, but one side does not claim defeat, either. I see UT and Q3A as just plain equal in terms of CTF and DM capabilities.So having Maul for either Q3A or any UT game would do just fine, and I wouldn't complain either way.

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Hiya hal ..

Don't panic too hard.
I just read through the entire thread again and though you started it it was actually Agent_5 who was working on it the map.. (Thanks for humoring me)

Since your the guy who originally brought Maul up, I'd have to say i fully agree with ya ..

In my opinion; Maul is a one of a kind because of its unique design & terrain features, quite an awesome map in 2kx, it's even better in UT3 & besides the eye candy; plays incredibly well on the UT3 engine IMO so far during the initial beta tests. - Also the AI function on this type of layout better than average, which is always a nice bonus.

Dont be a nubcake

Feb 29, 2008
:Poop: to any naysayers, I say!

Maul was one of those wonderfully spammy maps that was a great break from all of the serious maps. It was a favorite at FragBU and I always saw lots of people playing it in pubs.

The only thing that might need tweaking is the route going from base -> light post -> water tank.

Great map. Always loved it. I'm partial to the original version in UC1. It had some nice "glitches." (terrain visibilty mistakes) You could translocate underneath the map and kill everything. Kind of like a glass bottom boat, but above you. Some areas near the rocks where they went overboard with terrain culling or w/e.

Serious maps are typically not very "fun". Last time I checked, that's why I play videah games.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Maul will always remind me of the infamous mark rein game (vs. some german gameshow hosts) and the legendary "you play like girls" (something along those lines) phrase.

Meh, most people will have probably forgotten already :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Maul will always remind me of the infamous mark rein game (vs. some german gameshow hosts) and the legendary "you play like girls" (something along those lines) phrase.

Meh, most people will have probably forgotten already :p
I remember that, it was hilarious! "You are like a girl!"

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Half of the carrier routes would be useless with UT3 movement.

That's true, but a clever level designer could work in a few additional routes to make up for the loss of XXXtreme acrobatics.

don't believe the hype is the sequel
This one real ..

you can traverse (up & down, there & back) virtually every square inch of the terrain on what you see in those shots i posted. It actually plays very well in UT3 even with the heavier gravity, the scale is there so that helps a bunch.