Trynant's BuF Off-Topic Survival Guide

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

16MentalTempest

Out to lunch.
Mar 31, 2008
'Welcome to the Internet' indeed. Certainly clarifies a couple things for me, although I've yet to see the term 'beating a dead horse' used in context.

hi-ban

"Building Better Worlds"
Nov 1, 2005
LV-426
What about the funny use of tags in threads? You could also explain the origin of some classic BuF tags, such as "darkpulse is wrong"
I still don't know where did it came from...

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I'll write something on tags as soon as I get to using them. It's sort of sad that a potentially useful tool is used for jokes.

Something about the DP is Wrong meme could certainly be put up though. Although as far as I can gather it's a pretty obvious one (it originated from DP being wrong...a lot).

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Everyone seems to get along.
For the sake of it, I hate you
biggrin.gif

Not really ;)

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
To be fair Plump_Drumb, you actually clicked and viewed this thread >.>

(and Ctrl+F works just fine if you don't want to read the whole damn thing)

Yeesh, I need to update this survival guide, especially the memes and such. Does anyone have anything they would want to see put into the guide?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQwHwP0ojI[/m]

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I think that political and religious discussion should not be allowed to continue here, in off topic, since obviously no conclusions can be reached, and it is a huge waste of time. This is a gaming forum FFS, not debatepolitics.com or whatever. Ugh.

Lock-on-sight procedure should be followed.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There is nothing wrong with discussing politics or religion. The problem comes when people attack others for having opinions that are not theirs, when they treat others with no respect or when they are intentionally trolling.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I suppose it would be good to update the guide with something about practicing civil discourse.

EDIT: OH WAIT

From the first part of the guide said:
I. Arguing is OK

The whole purpose of a forum is to make a subject and then discuss it. Nobody has exactly the same view in life, so arguing over a subject is natural. It is okay to argue, as long as the arguing is rational. That's what debating is.

Just don't make angry, hurtful posts. All this does is make you look stupid and everyone else lose faith in humanity. Don't post stupid!

Last edited: