Should Epic repeat the 2k3 -> 2k4 history again to save UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
Epic can do what they want, let them release a new UT and have people pay for it for all I care. But this time I won't make the mistake I made with UT3 by blindly purchasing it. Try-before-I-buy with a little help of Mr. Pirate should help me make up my mind, should there ever come a new UT.

But considering it worked like a charm with UT2003>2004, I'm keeping my hopes up!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Epic can do what they want, let them release a new UT and have people pay for it for all I care. But this time I won't make the mistake I made with UT3 by blindly purchasing it. Try-before-I-buy with a little help of Mr. Pirate should help me make up my mind, should there ever come a new UT.

But considering it worked like a charm with UT2003>2004, I'm keeping my hopes up!
Yes, let's just prove developers right.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
I don't deny using torrent sites for games. What I do deny is not paying for a game I like. Games are a lot different from say, movies, in that what you are mainly paying for is replay value. You watch a movie in a theater, didn't like it? Too bad so sad. If I'm gonna fork out 50-60 bucks on a game I'd better damn well like it. Torrent sites and other resources exist. What point is it to not use them if it will let us check out how the final retail game plays. You can't do any serious form of online play with a pirated key anyway, so who gives a crap? Developers really need to stop whining about it and acting like it makes developing for PC any less worth doing. It IS possible to pirate console games too..

/buyer of 7 copies of Unreal titles

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Because it is illegal in almost every country in the world to do so? That is a good enough excuse for me.

I won't lie, I used to be very much into piracy as a younger chap. However, I saw the error of my ways and stopped. First, it's a hassle. Getting patches and cracks and whatnot is annoying with pirated games. Second, it's illegal. No explanation needed. Third, it just proves to developers that they should put retarded DRM on their products.

I don't deny it exists, that would be dumb. But I do deny that it is a necessary evil. Sounds more like an excuse to me.

Shockw@ve

Dec 31, 2008

Try the demos. Those are your free versions. Video games aren't that expensive. Unless you shop at EB games or other stores with HUGE markups. Anyway purchasing is always a risk. I don't like UT3 as much as the other UTs infact I call it an overly simplified console version of what could've been a very innovative PC game (Conquest?!?!?!). But the beauty of UT which I never actually took much part in admittedly are the included mod development materials and community tools.

Unreal has had its own CS like mod for years now called Frag Ops and its even more fast paced than Counter-Strike itsself! Yet, its still less popular ^_^;

I think UT3 was a worthwhile purchase. It has alot of content, Warfare is barely different from Onslaught but its like an upgraded faster version (good for quick matches). VCTFs major implementation is surprisingly good. The vehicles actually play specific roles now yet all you're doing is still trying to get a flag. The standard gametypes have also recieved graphical and spammy upgrades. Even tighter maps, with clutter and stupidity sadly not requiring much finess but one could argue that UT2003 required too much finess (I tell you thats what made UT2 so good. When you got a multikill it wasn't luck or spam!). Its still fun to charge rockets and shoot them as grenades and have dog fights with the raptor in the air even if the rockets are unable to make tight turns. The sniper rifle is finally being used as as sniper rifle and not just another gun you switch to for instant 70 damage shots. It fires fast enough to be used for extended periods of time against multiple targets.

The return to body armor is great and the game looks great. If anything else (and if you have a good computer, or the PS3 version and a really good television (1080p)) then turn up the graphics and jump into a sweet looking world where the things you do are SO Unreal! That alone was probably one of the most rewarding things of UT2. It looked so good compared to the competition. And although UT3 looked better than alot of games around the time, crysis stole the show. But you can't jump off a wall and shoot rockets while flipping in Crysis now can you (<_< can you?)

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
I'm not even saying it's completely necessary. Just that I don't feel bad about things I download. Does that make it right? Maybe not. I guess I just think it's less damaging than people make it out to be. Take creative fields for instance. There is x amount of talent out there, y amount of jobs, n amount of money. There are open source "alternatives" that in the end are often poor substitutes for high end packages that actually make it possible for pipelines consisting of one or two people with any degree of productivity. I can choose to feed my family and go with open source solutions which will never get me where I want to go or look satisfactory on a resume, or I can buy that 2000 dollar 3d package, the 500 dollar audio software, the 800 dollar video software, etc etc - and not be able to buy much else. That's the reality of living nowadays. Competition is ridiculous, you need to know the software that is "industry standard". I wonder how many of those people got their jobs by using legit copies of Photoshop or 3dsmax to hone their craft? But in the end they got em and probably went out and bought the programs. They're still helping to sustain the industry in the end, you don't see many software or game developers in the poorhouse unless they put out crap to begin with.

I certainly don't want to rely on downloaded software. I regularily approach companies asking for endorsement deals and sometimes, I get em. I use open source where it fits. I pay for what is reasonable to pay for within my means. And the rest, I download. I love to learn new software and find better features that help me work faster. Reading about them on a website doesn't get me anywhere. They might not always be as advertised or quite what I was looking for. Slightly getting off topic, but anyway. On one hand, it's not "necessary". But on another I'd argue that it is, that it is the way things are, and that there are more important things to get on a moral high horse about.

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
Yes, let's just prove developers right.
Absolutely, maybe then they will start making quality games again that people are willing to buy :lol:

I wonder how many of those people got their jobs by using legit copies of Photoshop or 3dsmax to hone their craft? But in the end they got em and probably went out and bought the programs. They're still helping to sustain the industry in the end
Well said :D

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Absolutely, maybe then they will start making quality games again that people are willing to buy
They will use the excuse that people 'stealing' their stuff is demotivating and therefore they should focus on consoles rather than PC. Unfortunately downloading isn't that cut and dried as I have explained, nor is it something you can escape simply by focusing on a different platform. Where there's data, it will be acquired, examined, reverse engineered.. Where there's security it will be broken.. trying to beat the hackers and pirates with ever-more-convoluted methods only increases their determination, it doesn't deter them at all. Because for every security firm there are 1000 child prodigies out there who just absorb that sh** up because they were born into it. So instead of being pricks who sound like they're stuck in the stone age, companies need to start embracing it and finding ways to make it work FOR them.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
They will use the excuse that people 'stealing' their stuff is demotivating and therefore they should focus on consoles rather than PC. ... So instead of being pricks who sound like they're stuck in the stone age, companies need to start embracing it and finding ways to make it work FOR them.
Yes they are finding ways. They are releasing for console first and keep it console only while sales last. Then release for PC via Steam, or with DRM up to the neck if it's a retail box.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Piracy is really never justified. A lot of work goes into making PC games, and you really are just ripping the company off, even though a lot of people argue that its not actually stealing.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I would bye any expansion to UT without hesitation. Even if it lets me down, id buy another to come out after it... WHY.. because I consider it still better then anything else for the player who doesn't go online.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
A game isnt that exepnsive if you are carful about it. Also i'm buying the expansion if I get the choice if only to support the developers. Games though are alot diffrent to some programs.

The programs are out of everyones price range anyway so people have no alternative but to pirate to use them. Even some companies are needing to in some cases.

The only time I support getting things elegaly is when the price range is put way outside the means of the target market. Photoshop is an example of this. Studants are tought with this program and expected to buy thair own copy if thay want to get work done. How many studants do you know that can afford that program without going into debt? You can only get so much for a studant loan and it all depends where you live weather you can feed yourself or not when your a studant.

If the only chance of getting out of a bad situation is a higher education corse and to do that corse you need a program I dont mind people chooseing to eat rather than buying a program leagaly.