UT3 Patch 1.3 Is Out!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MaestroMaus

Jul 22, 2008
The new NV drivers + the motionblur make this game run the way I always wished. Thnx Epic.

offtopic:
Yea, because patches stop the INSTANT the game is "complete".

*Looks at Team Fortress 2*

Seriously dude, take that negativity elsewhere. Thank you Epic for still giving us patches even with all the bitching; some of us still do enjoy playing the game.
Seriously what are you talking about? They have added new maps,game modes and unlockable weapons to tf2 and will continue doing so for the next half year...

Last edited:

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Would it kill them to add an automatic team balance feature? I hadn't played UT3 in over a month, so I figured I'd try it out last night after I got the patch.

The two Warfare servers with people playing were full, so I joined the only active Vehicle CTF map, and I was greeted with a map which was 11 on their side, and 6 on our side. Here's the kicker. After a few of us started asking people to please switch teams to even things up, I was told "less qq".

What happened to this community. You want an even match and you're told some nonsense like "less qq"?

Has anyone from Epic ever tried to play this game online? Auto-balance is badly needed and has been from day 1.

After I was told to stop whining because we were badly outnumbered, I shut the game off, and I'm not sure if I'll ever bother to start it back up again.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Would it kill them to add an automatic team balance feature? I hadn't played UT3 in over a month, so I figured I'd try it out last night after I got the patch.

The two Warfare servers with people playing were full, so I joined the only active Vehicle CTF map, and I was greeted with a map which was 11 on their side, and 6 on our side. Here's the kicker. After a few of us started asking people to please switch teams to even things up, I was told "less qq".

What happened to this community. You want an even match and you're told some nonsense like "less qq"?

Has anyone from Epic ever tried to play this game online? Auto-balance is badly needed and has been from day 1.

After I was told to stop whining because we were badly outnumbered, I shut the game off, and I'm not sure if I'll ever bother to start it back up again.
That was you? I was on that server. I decided to leave since nobody wanted to switch. Another way to bring the numbers down. (I'd just joined, anyway, so it's not like I made that big of a difference.)

Decided to play Warfare instead. Had some fun. :p

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Yea, because patches stop the INSTANT the game is "complete".

*Looks at Team Fortress 2*

Seriously dude, take that negativity elsewhere. Thank you Epic for still giving us patches even with all the bitching; some of us still do enjoy playing the game.

You can call it negativity or anything you want. I'm just saying it's the reality - the game (or patch) still has many problems.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008

Very good points. Some get ready to cream their pants coz Epic tosses us a bone every several months with a so-called "patch". Auto Balance is an example of what I'm talking about: relatively simple 'fixes' that should have been in the game from Day 1.

DUH.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Does this patch fix some crashes too? I didn't see anything in the change-log, but it's the frequent crashes that keep me from playing, so if anyone can share their experience that'd be nice.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
rAt.8^].bAg;2171066 said:
You can call it negativity or anything you want. I'm just saying it's the reality - the game (or patch) still has many problems.
The game isn't 100% fixed after the third patch??? Say it ain't so!!!

Does this patch fix some crashes too? I didn't see anything in the change-log, but it's the frequent crashes that keep me from playing, so if anyone can share their experience that'd be nice.

I've only ever had one crash in UT3 up till now and I'm not even sure my crash was down to UT3 itself (I have the sneaking suspicion it was a background app.)
ie. you'd probably have to say what system you are using and when it is you get crashes. Else I could answer: "yes, it fixes the crashes - because my UT3 hasn't crashed once" :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I doubt it.

No auto-balance -- which is 100% necessary in a game that's mostly team-based gameplay -- is nothing but more proof that Epic's really (really!) far behind on having features in their games that others have had for awhile.

It took nine months to show the names of people on a server. Don't expect anything complicated like auto-balance or good latency-compensating netcode from them.

Well, at least not in UT3. Maybe in GoW2. :)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Everyone... can we stick to discussion about the patch in this thread instead of turning it into yet another "whine about UT3 thread?"

We are talking patches, this one, the ones that came before it, and the ones to come, the direction Epic is taking their post release support, that should be on topic i'd say.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Did they make the bots even more accurate then they where before or am I just sucking really hard today?

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
It took nine months to show the names of people on a server. Don't expect anything complicated like auto-balance or good latency-compensating netcode from them.
Any form of ping compensation is always bad, performs badly, and should be avoided. That would only make UT3 even less desirable to play.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
We are talking patches, this one, the ones that came before it, and the ones to come, the direction Epic is taking their post release support, that should be on topic i'd say.

If you're talking about patches - fine. If you're simply whining again about UT3 in general - then no. You people know who you are...

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Any form of ping compensation is always bad, performs badly, and should be avoided. That would only make UT3 even less desirable to play.

UT2004's competitive mutator UTcomp had ping-compensation netcode ("newnet") and in terms of technical functionality it worked awesome. The mutator made it possible to play UT2004 on a dial-up connection with it and have a good experience, which is something worth taking note of. The only problem was that 0 ping for everyone exposed the game's big weapon balance flaw (overpowered shock primary).

Functional newnet for UT3, however, would only improve the experience, and the fact that UTcomp for 2k4 was written by one single community member in his free time proves that it can reasonably be done.

But as T2A so aptly put it:

Well, at least not in UT3. Maybe in GoW2.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Especially with these patches replacing maps, epic really needs to use an auto-update system to ensure everyone online has the latest version of everything.

If you're referring to blocking of holes in maps, the actual map files aren't changed, so there is no worry of compatibility issues between different versions. There's some code that's added that detects the map (by name) and adds some blocking object. Simply renaming the map file will stop this code from doing anything.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Come to FragBU, at least. We keep the teams even there as much as possible (maybe not per map, but in between maps at least).
rAt.8^].bAg;2171066 said:
Stop calling it the patch when you mean the game. Or at least tell me, what is one of the problems with the patch? (and if you say "missing features", I'll smack you...)
Some people have said that the game stopped crashing after installing this patch and the nvidia driver released this week.
UT2004's competitive mutator UTcomp had ping-compensation netcode ("newnet") and in terms of technical functionality it worked awesome. The mutator made it possible to play UT2004 on a dial-up connection with it and have a good experience, which is something worth taking note of. The only problem was that 0 ping for everyone exposed the game's big weapon balance flaw (overpowered shock primary).

Functional newnet for UT3, however, would only improve the experience, and the fact that UTcomp for 2k4 was written by one single community member in his free time proves that it can reasonably be done.

But as T2A so aptly put it:
You're kidding, I hope.

Newnet + 250+ms ping is one of the most terrible experiences ever, both for the person with that ping as well as with everyone else.

Even Lotus admitted that newnet was a POS so I don't know why people on here continue to praise it as the saviour of UT2004. It didn't make anyone new play it (if anything, it drove people away), and it didn't keep people playing it.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006

Eh, if you consider removing the requirement to actually hit your opponent, and falsely inflating your hit % in the process, then yea, it did indeed work awesomely. That's the major flaw with all forms of ping compensation in the netcode. Gone are the days in which you're required to be hit to die. Now you can constantly die from hitscan a second after diving behind a wall when your killer has no more line of sight on you.

Newnet + 250+ms ping is one of the most terrible experiences ever, both for the person with that ping as well as with everyone else.
Just because he said dialup doesn't instantly mean 250 ping. When i used to have to play on 56k i could ping as low as 120 to servers in chicago from over here in ohio. Which is extremely good for 56k.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Just because he said dialup doesn't instantly mean 250 ping. When i used to have to play on 56k i could ping as low as 120 to servers in chicago from over here in ohio.
Ohio to Chicago is not very far. For the majority of servers, you are looking at at least 250ms.

From where I am, 56k dialup MIGHT get you 300 or 350 if you're lucky to the major server hosting hubs in the midwest.