Rocket Secondary

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Choose

• Total voters

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
69696969696969 6969696969696969
And there has to be headshot capable NEEDLE shards that bounce infinitely TOO! PLZ EPIC PLZ ;)

Why are you guys repulsed by the idea of a faster locking rockets?

Scared a noob will be able to get a lucky frag with a crappy rocket lockon. :lol:

The current lockon is easy to dodge and spamming rockets through hallways is more effective than a rocket lockon. Why not make it easier for people to utilize this feature? Only a good player can utilize the lockon feature right now but it's too crappy for a decent player to use.

*edit* Nevermind, I think the rocket lockon feature was intended for long-range distance rockets to be a little more intimidating for camping snipers. Locking on someone long-distance is a lot easier than trying to do it mid-range. Still, lockon time should be reduced simply because it takes too long to send a barrage of rockets at the enemy long distance. The camping sniper could probably get 4 sniper shots off before a player can successfully lock-on and send the rockets at the sniper and the sniper can easily dodge the rockets.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Renegade Retard said:
Spamming rockets is noobish. Using rockets correctly takes a lot of skill.
Not really. It takes only a decent amount of skill (barring air rox) and a mouse sensitivity that allows you to spin around at a quick clip when you need to.

Kantham said:
Instakill for direct hit? Not sure it would be so great..,
It would be awesome. The flak cannon is already like this; why shouldn't the rocket launcher be as well since it's already harder to use against people who know how to move?

I, for one, do not like the slight load time to fire one rocket in UT. I do like the grenades though so I guess I would learn to like it. :D As far as their speed, if they're gonna be powerful, they should probably be slower with acceleration like in UT so they're not totally useless at longer ranges.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Rocket is fine like that

The flak canon is like that for a close range, and a little more than 100. For the rocket, getting a direct hit is easy most of all time, and rocket can be spamed. I keep on getting rocket in my face from nowhere in maps like Grandlekeep fired by the kind of player that stand in place and shot anywhere (aka noobs) and damn i am glad it don't insta-kills you when it's a direct hit.

Last edited:

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
I wouldn't mind the rockets doing 100 damage if they hit the head area, but getting a direct hit on the feet is way too easy. I'd also like to see rocket's splash damage toned down, but more upward momentum given to the player caught ontop of a rocket explosion. Right now it's too hard to juggle someone in the air and air rox them, because it takes 2 rockets to get them in the air and that usually kills them before I can air rox them. :(

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Kantham said:
The flak canon is like that for a close range, and a little more than 100. For the rocket, getting a direct hit is easy most of all time, and rocket can be spamed. I keep on getting rocket in my face from nowhere in maps like Grandlekeep fired by the kind of player that stand in place and shot anywhere (aka noobs) and damn i am glad it don't insta-kills you when it's a direct hit.
If you get hit in the face with a rocket from across Grendel you deserve to be killed. The fact that you're not dead in these instances is injustice at its finest! Naturally, getting hit in the leg shouldn't count as a direct hit. Anywhere between groin and head would be good enough.

CC makes good point too. I wouldn't mind the rockets being a little less powerful if they gave more of a bounce to the hit player so you could set up air rox and rocket-snipe combos. The assault grenade gives quite a bit more push than the rockets do...

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
CloudConnected said:
*edit* Nevermind, I think the rocket lockon feature was intended for long-range distance rockets to be a little more intimidating for camping snipers. Locking on someone long-distance is a lot easier than trying to do it mid-range. Still, lockon time should be reduced simply because it takes too long to send a barrage of rockets at the enemy long distance. The camping sniper could probably get 4 sniper shots off before a player can successfully lock-on and send the rockets at the sniper and the sniper can easily dodge the rockets.
The rocket launcher was NEVER MEANT for long range. I tried locking on to targets from mid to long range and it worked...but then again MOST of the times I tried that, I got fragged.

Rockets are for close to midrange only, and the lock-on should be well suited for that too.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I really miss the UT99 RL secondary, was great to spam a few gernades down ramps and threw doorways as you ran by.....was allways good for a few frags per game. :p

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
Bullet10k said:
The rocket launcher was NEVER MEANT for long range. I tried locking on to targets from mid to long range and it worked...but then again MOST of the times I tried that, I got fragged.

Rockets are for close to midrange only, and the lock-on should be well suited for that too.
I think I read in the official manual that the lockon was to catch unsuspecting snipers or something silly like that.

Only bad thing about lockon is it can get in the way of someone using the rockets by predicting. If they were to make rockets lockon easier, they would naturally make the rocket lockon radius larger as well as make the lockon time shorter. This would be very annoying for people trying to use rockets in a predictive way. Because in many cases a predictive shot would be better than a lockon.

My funnest moments with lockon were in the ut2003 demo on that BR map. I'd hide in this tunnel and shoot triple locked on rockets and hide back in the tunnel and see if they actually hit the guy. It was hilarious. :lol: I only got 3 frags a game average, and it was the only way I could get a frag, except for the occassional telefrag when entering the tunnel. Whenever I entered the tunnel I xloc'd multiple times to lessen the risk of getting shot, I remember I telefragged 3 people in that tunnel once. Lockon is funneh, but it would lose it's humor value if it was overused.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Turns2Ashes said:
If you get hit in the face with a rocket from across Grendel you deserve to be killed. The fact that you're not dead in these instances is injustice at its finest! Naturally, getting hit in the leg shouldn't count as a direct hit. Anywhere between groin and head would be good enough.

Yes sure. It's just a way to talk. I get them on my feet, in the face, in the back , in the body.... You know.. these guys with no skills that only get kills while spaming, and once they are out of ammo they run after you with the assault rifle shoting at anywhere.

CloudConnected

May 7, 2005
The only time spammage get's annoying is with a large number of players. Once you are in a TDM ffon server spamming goes down a lot. I often times shoot rockets from halfway across the map and predict someone being there and get hits. Someone with a lower sense of awareness might consider this spam, but I just see it as hilarious. I don't even shoot at the ground for splash because they are higher ground, but I still manage to peg them in the face. Funny stuff. I guess I'm actually indifferent to spam as long as ammo is done properly and I am able to pick up weapons and not be denied a weapon or pickup by spam.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
CloudConnected said:
The only time spammage get's annoying is with a large number of players. Once you are in a TDM ffon server spamming goes down a lot. I often times shoot rockets from halfway across the map and predict someone being there and get hits. Someone with a lower sense of awareness might consider this spam, but I just see it as hilarious. I don't even shoot at the ground for splashsometimes, because they are higher ground, but I still manage to peg them in the face. Funny stuff. I guess I'm actually indifferent to spam as long as ammo is done properly.

Yes i got to agree. But i can easily make a difference between spam, and predicting someone's move into another room. First, when you always get killed from the same guy, and you know his normal moving skills and knowledge about the game, you can easily become mad and go over him for the rest of the match. The wide shock room in Grandlekeep for example, it happen that the guy will spam rockets in there after just seing one ennemy. Then it comes that you arrive in front of that spoted guy, and the dance begin. And the POP, the spamer hits you. I don't find it funny, what i mosly find funny is the way they play "when i totaly like pwn them, noobs". But anyway, it's comon when the server is quite full. For a 1on1 it would be the worse thing to do.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Turns2Ashes said:
Not really. It takes only a decent amount of skill (barring air rox) and a mouse sensitivity that allows you to spin around at a quick clip when you need to.

It would be awesome. The flak cannon is already like this; why shouldn't the rocket launcher be as well since it's already harder to use against people who know how to move?

Translated for clarity:
Turns2Ashes said:
The Rocket Launcher only takes only a decent amount of skill and the FlakCannon takes less than that.

Don't be 'dissing the FlakCannon! :D

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Bullet10k said:

Are you sure you are playing the same game?
First you start about how the xloc isn't for transportation, and now the rockets aren't for long range? Lol, what's next? oh how about the minigun?! It isn't meant for shooting people, meant to slap people silly with. :nag:

I'm all for a direct hit (between crouch and head) doing 100 damage.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
How about the secondary fire still loads r0x, but dependant on what you do with the tertiary button press depends on what you get.

A single press would be a spiral, double clicking primary would release the less used 'primed but not fire' rockets.

Bingo. You get instant rocket fire, triple spread & Clusters plus 'nades for prediction. Admittedly it might knacker the mouse when throwing about single grenades all the time, hold secondary, hit primary twice & let go.

Please, epic?

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Instant Rocket > Grenades

hal said:
press and release = single rocket.
press and hold = load.

In other words... UT's system with just three projectiles.

I believe you could check and option in UT and gain instant fire at the cost of losing the ability to load. Now, I wouldn't want to give up loading, but wouldn't press and release be close to instant?

It's not even close to instant. It's like playing with modem ping, which makes single rockets completely useless. It's a case of grenades or instant rocket. Grenades lose.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Selerox said:
It's not even close to instant. It's like playing with modem ping, which makes single rockets completely useless. It's a case of grenades or instant rocket. Grenades lose.

I disagree. I find grenades are far more useful than being able to shoot rockets a split second faster.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
Shouldn't is a better word, and its IMO btw. Comon now rockets for all ranges? And I think you misread about the xloc. I said it's just not fun people teleporting every 2 secs like a monkey on crack, however it is used for transportation to get back the flag. Teleporting every 2 secs like a monkey on crack=bad and r0x for all ranges = bad.

IMO. (calm down)

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Israphel said:
I remember -Ænûbîs©- saying once that the rl isn't his favourite weapon but its the one he gets most kills with...

Correct. It doesn't need "help" in the department of balance really. It will though have to be tweaked for new movement.

90% of these RL gripes, and wanted changes are the way they are now due to player scaling. This is to be fixed, so most of these things may come back. Some of the other "wishes" as to things being more like UT were changed because of spamminess. I doubt we will see grenades, or more then 3 rocket silos again... ever.

They say they didn't change the rocket lock code at all. It has to be harder because of player scale.

Player scale goes up = rocket locks get easier. Player speed seems faster because of scale = rocket speed goes down = rocket damage goes up (100 sounds good) = rocket load time takes longer.

Locked rocket curve angles had to be nerfed for vehicles. There had to be something seperating the RL from the AVRL. RL is already almost as lethal, because the vehicle driver doesn't get a tone when you lock those. Auto-discharge when you die is fun when they try to run you over too.

The way it usually works in unreal: The more damage done, the more push done (at least with splash weapons). Increasing rox damage to 100 will provide some more splash push (I know it's an indepently adjusted variable, I'm more refering to how epic handles it).

I, honestly don't really want a "quake like RL." I dig the insta-fire, but the consistant raduis pushes are too predictable. I like the idea of not knowing exactly where my target is going to fly, because it makes rox>airrox, or rox>snipe take more skill, and seen less often. Kinda like moving combos in UT as opposed to how easy they are in UT2k4 (relatively speaking).

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
-AEnubis- said:
The way it usually works in unreal: The more damage done, the more push done (at least with splash weapons). Increasing rox damage to 100 will provide some more splash push (I know it's an indepently adjusted variable, I'm more refering to how epic handles it).
Nope.

The rockets have a push value of 50000, whatever that value represents. The shock rifle is 60000 and the assault grenades are 70000, neither of which deal out as much damage as a rocket. The flak shell does 75000 and also does 90 damage like a rocket.